Cobalts SS banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car in to the dealership to have them do something for my transmission. It sometimes blocked me out of first and so I had to put it in another gear to get it to release. Also When shifting from first to second my transmission would hesitate and almost not engage. And then reverse sometimes was not there and I would grind reverse and have to pull it out and wait for it to re adjust it self. I got a call back the next day, the guy told me they were just going to order a new tranny from michigan for me. I would have thought they would have given it more of a fight before just giving in but it has happened before when they just reflashed my transmission. That only cured it for a month or so. Glad to be getting a new tranny but sad to have my car out for a week and a half while it gets here.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I got the car back from the dealership finally. It took them a week and a half. I asked the guy what was actually ewrong with the tranny and all he said was that It was coming apart. I have no Idea what that is supposed to mean. But if feels a lot smoother now.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
possibly the synchros?

·
Registered
169 Posts
i am haveing a similar problem now after about 6000miles i get locked out of 1st and reverse and sometimes reverse grinds im going to the dealer for a reflash on monday im gonna ask them to check it out

·
Registered
81 Posts
yeah usually if its going to cost more to tear the trans apart and repair it then it will to get a new one, they'll just send a new one out. and from what you're describing, it would have cost a lot more

·
Registered
102 Posts
This happened the first day i got my car at the dealership. That day i was driving home stopped at my dads office and when i went to go back home i couldnt get into 1st 5th or reverse. I actually had to put it in neutral roll it backwards and go home with second third and was afraid to even try 4th. Went back to the dealership the next day and they told me my clips were broken. Got them replaced and havent had a problem since.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
your clips?
what are those
are they in the tranny

·
Registered
102 Posts
No supposedly the clips are supposed to let the shifter in and out of their spots, but when they break or malfunction it wont let the shifter into that gear and hold there.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
oh ok
when i hear just "clips" it makes me wonder if they are screwing ppl

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
i really hate dealers that dont help out

·
Registered
109 Posts
every once in awhile mine seems like its hard going into first on a downshift (like if im coasting to a stop and putting it in first while moving). other than that its buttery smooth. is that normal? my waranty will be up soon, so i was just wondering if thats seems normal cause i dont want to get screwed when it runs out. i have no problems with 5th and rev so i hope that this isnt the early stages of what went wrong with the original poster's car

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
thats normal so u dont mess up the tranny by shifting into first too early

but one day i accidentally threw my car into 2nd at 70 mph
believe it or not the rpms went up to 7500 but i released to not fuck anything up

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah thats normal for first. when down shifting if you rev match even a little it will make the down shift easier. First really doesnt want to go in easily until about 10 or 15 mph unless you rev match. I think it is a way to protect it like jonsstockrocket said.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts