Cobalts SS banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I am considering installing a small (maybe like 50 or 75 shot) of Nitrous (most likely dry shot from NOS Nitrous) however I have a few questions seings how this is the first car I would have nitrous on. Firstly I am leasing the car and was wondering if there would be a way to install the kit so if I had to un-install it there would have been no trace of having it on the car. Also which kit do you guys think would best fit our car? Would there be anything else I would have to purschase beside the kit (ie engine parts) or could I spray with a stock engine? Any help would be much appreciated, thanks guys!

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'll let you know that after this friday. I got that guy w/ the yellow CSS talking trash and he "supposedly" has N2O on his car. I am wanting him to run once regular then once w/ nitrous to see the difference.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Nitrous Now

Hey Guys,
This is my first post on hear but I have browsing for a couple weeks now. I currently have a yellow 05 SS and have begun my engine modification. In a few hours I will have installed my nitrous kit. It is the Zex Progressive Shot System, works it's way up to around 55 HP. My local performance guy suggested it and he has not lied to me yet. It has controls that will not allow it to run too lean or too rich and guarantees it's HP numbers. According to my local shop the supercharger will almost double the power from this nitrous. Not only will it cool the air allowing the supercharger to compress more and cooler air, there will be the HP gains from the actual n2o itself. I will post some pictures and time slips on friday, as that is our track day and we got rained out last weekend. Can't wait to try this out.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
JoeySpicuzza said:
Hey everyone, I am considering installing a small (maybe like 50 or 75 shot) of Nitrous (most likely dry shot from NOS Nitrous) however I have a few questions seings how this is the first car I would have nitrous on. Firstly I am leasing the car and was wondering if there would be a way to install the kit so if I had to un-install it there would have been no trace of having it on the car. Also which kit do you guys think would best fit our car? Would there be anything else I would have to purschase beside the kit (ie engine parts) or could I spray with a stock engine? Any help would be much appreciated, thanks guys!
Go with a wet kit. And I would splurge for a window switch. You should be fine with a 50 shot, I don't know about 75, but I would try the 50 first. NX arguably has some of the best kits on the market, so you should check them out. Hope that helped a bit.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
depends on where it's plumed on which kit you need correct? the way he was saying it would be in front of the blower, he should definitely use a dry, and not a wet

·
Registered
19 Posts
hey YELLOWSS who installing your kit? im hoping it doest rain on friday either. im going early so i can get a couple of runs in and reserve a spot.

·
Registered
360 Posts
wasey13 said:
Go with a wet kit. And I would splurge for a window switch. You should be fine with a 50 shot, I don't know about 75, but I would try the 50 first. NX arguably has some of the best kits on the market, so you should check them out. Hope that helped a bit.
Yes, I agree. Go with a smaller shot first to see how well it takes to it.
The wet/dry question is more a matter of safety. Wet is safer to run than dry since it's mixed in with the fuel, but then again like someone else posted it depends on where it's plumbed in.
There's a guy over here with a Firehawk running a God-knows-what-but-it's-damn-fast DRY shot. Of course, they also called him the "engine-killer" in a recent newspaper article.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I called a local vendor who sells and installs nitrous kits, and he said that the best kit for a supercharged car would be a wet shot, and that it didn't have to be direct ported and he said that it could easily be uninstalled if I needed to take the car in for warranty work or when I am turning it in when the lease is up, and he said that there would be no post evidence of it after it was uninstalled. His estimate was 1100 for a 50 wet shot installed, however I didnt ask him what kit that includes... i'll be going in with my car on Friday. He said that the switch can be installed in several different spots, or I could have an on off switch, when turned on and the gas floored all the way it sprays, which sounded good, but then again I burn through first so fast as it is I dont think I would be good enough at shifting in time so I'm not too sure yet. Anyone on this forum who has nitrous that could give me some pointers?

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
JoeySpicuzza said:
Well I called a local vendor who sells and installs nitrous kits, and he said that the best kit for a supercharged car would be a wet shot, and that it didn't have to be direct ported and he said that it could easily be uninstalled if I needed to take the car in for warranty work or when I am turning it in when the lease is up, and he said that there would be no post evidence of it after it was uninstalled. His estimate was 1100 for a 50 wet shot installed, however I didnt ask him what kit that includes... i'll be going in with my car on Friday. He said that the switch can be installed in several different spots, or I could have an on off switch, when turned on and the gas floored all the way it sprays, which sounded good, but then again I burn through first so fast as it is I dont think I would be good enough at shifting in time so I'm not too sure yet. Anyone on this forum who has nitrous that could give me some pointers?
Well yeah depending on where it is plumbed like everyone is saying determines if you want wet or dry.

$1100 installed sounds like A LOT! I was thinking $500-$700 installed at the most. For everything you need. Here is an awesome thread that you should read before you start spraying... http://focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=11534.

For $1100, the kit should be fully programmable, meaning you can tell it when to spray and when not to. Like no spray in first, spray in all of 2nd and all of 3rd. Anyways read that thread before you buy or have a kit installed.

·
Registered
360 Posts
JDMCivic said:
There wil be gains from the added oxygen, not from n2o.
Correct! :D Smart man there!

Here's some other things about N2O:

n2o is emitted from agricultural soil
n2o is mostly inhaled several times in short distances certain gases are able to produce heavy euphoria because they've got a
n2o is injected into the chamber and the temperature reaches 572°f
n2o is visible from the control area and indicates that the rocket is ready to launch
n2o is usually more expensive
n2o is supplied
n2o is just as safe as a turbo and a supercharger as long as you use your brain and don’t over due it
n2o is easy to use
n2o is not available; compare utilities to identify differences between two natural programs;
n2o is behind a significant portion of the greenhouse warming caused by humans
n2o is blocked when the o2 drops below 0
n2o is better for small engines because it is available and storable
n2o is light years ahead in every way
n2o is not only one of the global warming gases but also an important atmospheric component deeply relating to the formation and depletion of the ozonosphere
n2o is
n2o is produced during two oxidization steps in the production of adipic acid
n2o is not flammable; it supports combustion
n2o is only slightly
n2o is one of those old
n2o is totally
n2o is not unlike a good pinball
n2o is such an example in which case an ieta member dupont utilizes a high temperature catalytic process to decompose n2o into n2 and o2
n2o is extremely efficient at warming up the atmosphere
n2o is commonplace
n2o is going to take the cake on the 2nd
n2o is to shoot everything in your way
n2o is just over a century
n2o is really stable and unreactive
n2o is produced both under aerobic and anaerobic conditions
n2o is a trippy
n2o is a long
n2o is recognised to have a role in ozone depletion in the stratosphere and is a potent greenhouse gas
n2o is an ozone depleting gas
n2o is used to wavelength lock the operation of the three lasers to the appropriate
n2o is back with another release and this one is making the a list of many djs
n2o is discharged by human activity
n2o is decreased to one fourth
n2o is well known
n2o is a graphically interesting music cd featuring badly integrated licensed crystal method songs
n2o is provided on the following page
n2o is silly and unnecessary considering the solid gameplay
n2o is the result of nitrification and denitrification in the soil
n2o is significantly less accurate
n2o is employed as an oxidant; pure oxygen is typically found to be too reactive and can produce lots of powder
n2o is the least well
n2o is not generated in o
n2o is just a full
n2o is below 20 km
n2o is a gold sponsor of the international dj olympics in canada
n2o is investigated here
n2o is related to the use of fertilizers in agriculture which is expected to continue growing
n2o is considered to be a "greenhouse" gas
n2o is present at about 315 ppbv
n2o is an okay shooter first of all
n2o is mainly emitted when there is a change in load on the vessels engine
n2o is not the fuel but the oxidizer
n2o is metabolised by nitrous oxide reductase
n2o is also formed during combustion of organic material
n2o is a powerful greenhouse gas and a precursor of stratospheric ozone depletion
n2o is a natural phenomenon caused by bacteria located in the soil and
n2o is off and an extra 4deg retard is added
n2o is seeking to raise $900
n2o is endogenously assessed by the
n2o is dissociated to form siosi
n2o is isotopically fractionated during uv photolysis in the stratosphere
n2o is a gas detector for continuous monitoring of nitrous oxide in ambient air
n2o is present in
n2o is explosive and a fire hazard
n2o is totally benign and non
n2o is commonly the largest component of total greenhouse gas produced by typical us livestock or agricultural operations

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Please edit your previous post and delete all that crap, it is jaking up the thread, I know you have contributed to this thread with earlier posts but that last post deffinetely needs to be deleted.

·
Registered
360 Posts
JoeySpicuzza said:
Please edit your previous post and delete all that crap, it is jaking up the thread, I know you have contributed to this thread with earlier posts but that last post deffinetely needs to be deleted.
Laugh. I'm sure that once a Cobalt SS/SC forums FAQ gets built, there will be a load of N2O information in it gleaned from the forums itself.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I believe the best you can do is probably ( depending where you plum the nozzle) is to have another intake hose on the side. No matter what, drilling a hole may be needed. Or you can hide it underneath & put in a rubber plug so there will be no air escape. ;)

·
Registered
306 Posts
It's on!!!

JDMCivic said:
There wil be gains from the added oxygen, not from n2o.
Sorry about that, obviously you know what I mean though :cool: ...anyway the kit is on now and tomorrow night at Freaky Friday in Fayetteville, NC is where it will be tested out. Should have some good videos uploaded within the weekend. It was installed by Competition Auto in town and installation and parts total came to about $720...wet is the way to go with a supercharged car...will keep everyone updated...

·
Registered
509 Posts
05YELLOWSS said:
Sorry about that, obviously you know what I mean though :cool: ...anyway the kit is on now and tomorrow night at Freaky Friday in Fayetteville, NC is where it will be tested out. Should have some good videos uploaded within the weekend. It was installed by Competition Auto in town and installation and parts total came to about $720...wet is the way to go with a supercharged car...will keep everyone updated...

Cool... gives up stats!

·
Registered
454 Posts
You guys going direct port or before the blower? Every company we've contacted and talked to an actual person, has suggested NOT spraying before the blower. Everything from possible explosions of the blower from a compressed air/fuel/n20 mix, to the intercooler fins having gas pool up on them, changing you metered shot.

Quite interested in it myself. Just want to find the safest way for me and the engine. Some of the GM people we talked to said a direct port is the only safe, professional way to install it on the LSJ.

How many of you are running juice right now? I know of one or two Redlines, all going preblower wet shots. Everyone I talk to without a Redline/Cobalt/Cobra thinks that's nuts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
ZEX suggests going with the injection before the blower for best results - They say that forced induction vehicles really benifeit from this and its totally safe...

1 - 20 of 73 Posts