Cobalts SS banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well I went to the dealer today and took G85 (lsd/recaros) off my order.
they said my order SHOULD be accepted this week or next. (that option
was the only thing holding it up) I'm not too thrilled,but I need the car
soon.
on the other hand though,I'm not sure how effective the LSD on this car
would be. PLUS I might use the money saved towards more meaningful
power adds :D (exhaust system? twin charged ala Gravana?) Or,being
us Californians are paying more for gas than any other mainland state,
treat it as gas$

just for kicks and grins,my chevy dealer left the order with G85 active,
in case G85 option suddenly opens up :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey man, i'd take heart and wait it out for the LSD. It'll really be worth it once you get those power mods - and you're actually able to put that power to the ground! I've had a redline ion on order for ~2 months now, and it actually just got the go ahead to be built, and i ordered it with the competition package (G85 for the cobalt), so it looks like they are being built, although i don't have a estimated build date yet. I really thing the LSD is worth the wait, and from what i understand you guys don't get the recaro's without the G85 package? that makes it even more worth the wait!!

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
[DeVo] said:
Hey man, i'd take heart and wait it out for the LSD. It'll really be worth it once you get those power mods - and you're actually able to put that power to the ground! I've had a redline ion on order for ~2 months now, and it actually just got the go ahead to be built, and i ordered it with the competition package (G85 for the cobalt), so it looks like they are being built, although i don't have a estimated build date yet. I really thing the LSD is worth the wait, and from what i understand you guys don't get the recaro's without the G85 package? that makes it even more worth the wait!!
Agreed! Either of the two ingredients are worth the price of the entire package. And the installation charges for the LSD would probably be the same if not higher!!! If you want an LSD then your best bet would be to get it factory!!! Aftermarket... youre gonna hafta sell your home, a few of your relatives and even your Cobalt SS just to get it and have installed, then someone else will have your SS and LSD!! :( .... LOL j/k but it will be EXTREMELY expensive if you dont get it from the factory!!

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
SEE!?!? Thats NUTS!!!!! When you can pay 1500 and get it factory AND get Recaros with it! I think that guy on the RL forums said that the factory told him that even though it was the same part used in the G85 and that it was installed at the dealer that it WOULD NOT be under warranty anywas!!!! :eek: Thats crap to me! I'll take it factory WITH my warranty... however short of a time period that I have that warranty!! ;)

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
CoBIZZLE said:
SEE!?!? Thats NUTS!!!!! When you can pay 1500 and get it factory AND get Recaros with it! I think that guy on the RL forums said that the factory told him that even though it was the same part used in the G85 and that it was installed at the dealer that it WOULD NOT be under warranty anywas!!!! :eek: Thats crap to me! I'll take it factory WITH my warranty... however short of a time period that I have that warranty!! ;)
SEE!!!!! I told ya that is is crazy how expensive LSD is when not factory. And i will need the warranty for a short time but untill it becomes voided after i do a few things it is nice to have. Just incase something would go really wrong. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
CoBIZZLE said:
Actually that's completely understandable. How could GM warranty an install that some tech at a dealer does? The diff and trans are put together in Sweden and then sent over. So, there are a bunch of eyes on these parts before they are even back in Ohio for final integration. GM just cannot guarantee a tech's work.

That said, my dealer contacted me about my order. I cancelled my order for an '05 becuase of the lack of G85, so I rolled over my order to an '06 SS-SC.

Oh and I'll bet I'm one of the only people on this board that has sampled the car with and without the LSD. The LSD makes a tremendous difference on the track or even when accelerating hard on the street. I autocrossed last weekend in our Ion RL and fell in love with the diff. It's really worth it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I want the G85 package too, so I guess I just have to wait since they can't find a dealer that will trade their car for the one I want. In a way it's better that I wait, cuz that way I'll be able to get all the options that I wanted. By the way does anyone know when the 06 Cobalt SS S/C's come out?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the input guys. i would like to hold out for the lsd & recaros,but my
old car may decide for me if i have to put more into it (needs brake job,starter
acting up,tranny job,you know it's 10 years old,and little problems start creeping
in)
my dealer was kind enough to keep my order with G85 active,but also ordered an
identical car options & colors minus G85 for me to decide on which ever comes in first.

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
hitthecones said:
Actually that's completely understandable. How could GM warranty an install that some tech at a dealer does? The diff and trans are put together in Sweden and then sent over. So, there are a bunch of eyes on these parts before they are even back in Ohio for final integration. GM just cannot guarantee a tech's work.

That said, my dealer contacted me about my order. I cancelled my order for an '05 becuase of the lack of G85, so I rolled over my order to an '06 SS-SC.

Oh and I'll bet I'm one of the only people on this board that has sampled the car with and without the LSD. The LSD makes a tremendous difference on the track or even when accelerating hard on the street. I autocrossed last weekend in our Ion RL and fell in love with the diff. It's really worth it.
Well I see your point but at least the dealer could warrant it maybe??? But since they wont then I would take my business elsewhere just for that simple fact.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Someone has a RL ion with the LSD?? There aren't any competition package redlines out yet, so that had to be an aftermarket (or dealer) installed LSD! I had an order for an '05 competition package... but they said they weren't going to make any more 05's. The plant has now been switched over to '06, and i should be getting an estimated build week on my car soon!

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
Yeah there is at least one guy that had one dealer installed on a RL. Cant recall who it is though, check out the RLforums...

·
Registered
59 Posts
[DeVo] said:
Someone has a RL ion with the LSD?? There aren't any competition package redlines out yet, so that had to be an aftermarket (or dealer) installed LSD! I had an order for an '05 competition package... but they said they weren't going to make any more 05's. The plant has now been switched over to '06, and i should be getting an estimated build week on my car soon!

Actually the car does not really belong to a private individual...it's more like a company car. We put one of the LSD-equipped transmissions in our RL in February. It is the real one and we tend to have that sort of access to parts. Not giving away who I work for...

I was under the impression that at least a few of those Ions were sold? Can anyone confirm this? Last I heard it would be a 2005.5 MY car with that option package.

·
Registered
1 Posts
G85?

I just got a build week of june 13 on my ss cobalt. I ordered it with the G85 performance package, but does this mean that it wont be offered until the 06's rollout?

·
Registered
11 Posts
There have been cobalts with the G85, but no redline ions have been produced yet. Evidently they had such a high demand for the competition package (what the call it on the ion) that they just said screw it, we're not making any more '05s at all, we'll just switch the line over to '06, and then make the comp's as '06s.

I should be one of the first with the competition package in the country, my order has been in now for almost 2 months... hopefully i'll have a estimated build week soon.

·
Registered
59 Posts
[DeVo] said:
There have been cobalts with the G85, but no redline ions have been produced yet. Evidently they had such a high demand for the competition package (what the call it on the ion) that they just said screw it, we're not making any more '05s at all, we'll just switch the line over to '06, and then make the comp's as '06s.

I should be one of the first with the competition package in the country, my order has been in now for almost 2 months... hopefully i'll have a estimated build week soon.
That's not exactly true. There were about 25 Ion RL's with the Comp Package built for 2005. Some were consumed internally, but as far as I know that only accounts for about half. The production for 2006 will start quite soon and sure hope to see my car eventually.

·
Banned
200 Posts
This is how smart GM really is. They offer a high powered FWD sport coupe, a car that is all but gauranteed an extremely high demand for a limited slip differential, and theyre NOT prepared. What a bunch of fuckin morons over there, I swear. I wish I knew who started GM's run into the ground in the 90's so I could stab them in the eye with a pencil :mad:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts