Cobalts SS banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving and i lost all power steering and on the heads up display it just said "POWER STEERING" no CEL Light. Does anyone know what the fuck happened ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Most likely its the power steering control module. I posted a lengthy reply on another thread someplace about this. Ive replaced alot of modules for this reason.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how much is it to replace the module ? do you have to go to Chevy service center or can anyone do it ? need info asap please !

·
Registered
22 Posts
This happened to me one random night pulling out of the driveway... steering became hard as hell... I just shut down the car and restarted it and everything was fine... haven't had it happen since. No clue what caused it but glad it hasn't re-occured

·
Registered
42 Posts
I dont remember off hand the price of the module. I know the module/motor comes as an assembly, or it used to. Its quite easy to replace, problem is it will need to be calibrated once installed. Of course calibration will need to be done at a dealer, and I dont recommend driving it after repalcing the motor/module without calibrating it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally got the problem fixed at my local Chevy Dealership, it ended up being $580.00 they had to replace the electronic motor and the module. it sucks but there is absolutely no alternative.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This happened to me one random night pulling out of the driveway... steering became hard as hell... I just shut down the car and restarted it and everything was fine... haven't had it happen since. No clue what caused it but glad it hasn't re-occured
My brother has a 2006 Cobalt SS (non SC'd version) and his is doing the exact same thing. It started off as once in awhile, now it's doing it all the time. I drove his car today and I was astonished at how hard it is to turn the wheel. Why GM figured it'd be best to use "electronic power steering" is beyond me. Another stupid mistake on GM's behalf. Hydraulic PS worked for decades and they decide to outsource and use a cheap electronic motor. Makes me sick.

Our entire family has bought GM vehicles for decades and now we're sick and tired of them. Between this problem, my Dad's 08 Silverado that squeaks and rattles more than any car I've ever been in, the 08 Impala SS that gets about 12 MPG city if we're lucky, that's it. We're done with GM

My Dad wants to sell this 06 Cobalt ASAP, so I found this site in hopes of getting the problem fixed. I've been searching and searching online and have heard mixed numbers as far as cost, anywhere from the $580 mentioned here up to $2,000

I want to avoid the dealership (or stealership as I call them) as much as possible, their exorbitant prices are enough to make me irate.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The same thing happens to me. I was pulling out of my driveway and my steering went stiff, and I had to completely shut my car off and turn it back on. I posted a thread earlier about this but nobody responded. Its rumored that there might be a recall on the power steering. I just really wanted to know how much its going to cost. This has only happend to me twice within the past week. And was wondering if this was happening to anyone else but most of all how much its going to cost.
Thank You.

·
Registered
79 Posts
There is no recall on power steering. I spoke to GM on that issue for you guys. They advised that you take it to the dealership and have them troubleshoot it or replace the unit.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well damn. I get to go to the dealership and do it for freeee

·
Registered
79 Posts
Okayyyy. Since yer not far from me I will take that advice cuz if TX hasnt got any word then OK hasnt got the word either

1 - 17 of 17 Posts