Cobalts SS banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must be totally missing something when looking at this picture.

I see an alternator, and an AC pump, as well as a crank pulley, and obviously the supercharger, but I'm not seeing a Power Steering pump? Does the cobalt have some sort of electric assist? (similar to the RX8)....What gives?

One of you owners have a second to hop outside, and take a look-see?

·
Registered
24 Posts
id have to say that its the pully to the left of the supercharger pully snout. would anyone like to verify?

·
Registered
2 Posts
The ION Red Lines have electric steering, and thus no power steering pump or fluid. I am not positive, but I'm pretty sure it is the same set up for the Cobalt SS's.

·
Registered
24 Posts
jpapa said:
The ION Red Lines have electric steering, and thus no power steering pump or fluid. I am not positive, but I'm pretty sure it is the same set up for the Cobalt SS's.
Correct, it is electric!

·
Registered
153 Posts
2kwik4u said:
Sweet.....wonder why GM doesn't promote that very much?
Good question. GM has also used electronic throttle on fairly common cars for many years. Most ppl wouldn't know that a 99 Olds Alero had electronic throttle.

For whatever reason, GM doesn't say a word about it. Then Toyota does it 3 years later, and all the magazines oh and ah over it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
87camaroPA said:
The Cobalt SS also has speed sensitive steering. I believe that is what i read somewhere. I just can't remember where though.
Yep. The beauty of electric power steering is that it's really easy to adjust the amount of assist based on vehicle speed. More assist at lower speeds, and it'll firm up and offer less assist at higher speeds.

·
Registered
57 Posts
They probably don't say much about the electric steering because they've had so many issues with it on the G6 it's not even funny. I just hope ours doesn't start to show issues like the G6.

·
Registered
40 Posts
DanM said:
Good question. GM has also used electronic throttle on fairly common cars for many years. Most ppl wouldn't know that a 99 Olds Alero had electronic throttle.

For whatever reason, GM doesn't say a word about it. Then Toyota does it 3 years later, and all the magazines oh and ah over it.
People don't care about making there cars better(unlike us) they just care if it takes them to point a and b and back their happy. Plus people think that american cars are no good after certain amount of miles, is it true? no any car can be shit if not taking care of, but everybody knows Toyota make some reliable cars and trucks(some being key point) GM hasn't (to me) done it's best in trying to compete with companies out of the states.(honda,subaru,volkswagon,etc.) That's why i hope that the Redline,and Cobalt brings GM the respect it deserves.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Mercedes has had throttle by wire since like 1992... believe it started in the S-class..
but whos counting ? :)
Also I think most cars these days that are 25k+ have speed sensitive power steering ... Theyve had that technology since before rack and pinion... although I think GM is the first to put electric steering in a full production car... I would also imagine you would have much more precise speed sensitive steering with an electric rack ! Good to see GM putting something new and cutting edge out there...

·
Registered
144 Posts
sh*t my power steering light just came on when i was on my way home and my speedometer stays at 0 until i am driving and leave it in neutral for a little while, then jumps up to the speed i am going.

·
Registered
543 Posts
nice_n_lo_silverado said:
id have to say that its the pully to the left of the supercharger pully snout. would anyone like to verify?
I believe that small pulley is the belt tensioner to keep the belt tight.

·
Registered
543 Posts
blab10 said:
sh*t my power steering light just came on when i was on my way home and my speedometer stays at 0 until i am driving and leave it in neutral for a little while, then jumps up to the speed i am going.
time to drive by the dealer. who wants to take bets on how long it will take them to fix it?

·
Registered
309 Posts
mm_omega2 said:
time to drive by the dealer. who wants to take bets on how long it will take them to fix it?
8.4317891 days. Oh, and man, get that problem looked at, nothing good came out of it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
blab10 said:
This was actually my roommate posting. I guess he didn't realize that I was signed on still. He took his car to the dealer and they told him to come back Monday and that he is fine as long as the light isn't blinking! WTF!? I hate dealerships, they are all just a bunch of morons.

·
Registered
132 Posts
2K2CamaroSS said:
They probably don't say much about the electric steering because they've had so many issues with it on the G6 it's not even funny. I just hope ours doesn't start to show issues like the G6.
Just wait until below zero weather..your steering wont function AT ALL. Its great!! I have had a few instance of hanging my full body weight on the wheel and it wont budge. Pretty damn fun.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts