Cobalts SS banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here use it to increase octane level of thier pump gas. I have seen some (Street Formula = 3 Point octane increase) and race (7 point)
Are these products worth the money for eveyday use or just for racing?
My other question is are they safe to use with the SS's engine setup?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Be careful with those boosters. It might seem like they really boost your octane number, but remember, a point is 0.1 of an octane under perfect conditions.

That means your 'race' booster would turn your 93 octane gas into 93.7 octane. Not 100.

For what they cost, hardly seems worth the effort to use unless you are trying to eek out every lb of boost on the racetrack. Forget it for daily use, if you car won't run right on 91 octane, it needs repair or to be returned to a more stock condition (if it is heavily modified).

Those who live where 93 octane is plentiful can probably mod their SS a little bit harder than the rest of us.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Yea, I hate the west coast for the 91 octane reason

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DigDug said:
Be careful with those boosters. It might seem like they really boost your octane number, but remember, a point is 0.1 of an octane under perfect conditions.

That means your 'race' booster would turn your 93 octane gas into 93.7 octane. Not 100.

For what they cost, hardly seems worth the effort to use unless you are trying to eek out every lb of boost on the racetrack. Forget it for daily use, if you car won't run right on 91 octane, it needs repair or to be returned to a more stock condition (if it is heavily modified).

Those who live where 93 octane is plentiful can probably mod their SS a little bit harder than the rest of us.
Tks for the info!

·
Registered
155 Posts
phxSS said:
Yea, I hate the west coast for the 91 octane reason
You guys don't have 93 and 94 all over the place? Heck, where I am even 108 is plentiful as water! :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you really want to raise your octane for whatever reason, you can go to a paint store and pick up a gallon of xylene or toluene. Although it is sold as a paint thinner, it is actually similar or the same as gasoline additives. They are well above 100 octane, so depending on how you mix it (what ratios), you could up your octane rating this way.

You wouldn't want to run too high of octane though for everyday street driving. It will actually make your car slower, because your stock ECU will only advance timing so far.....without engine management to either lean out the fuel or increase ignition timing, and or boost it would be pointless. I could see if you were stuck with crap 91 gas why you would want to raise it though.

·
Registered
259 Posts
WRicerX said:
If you really want to raise your octane for whatever reason, you can go to a paint store and pick up a gallon of xylene or toluene. Although it is sold as a paint thinner, it is actually similar or the same as gasoline additives. They are well above 100 octane, so depending on how you mix it (what ratios), you could up your octane rating this way.

You wouldn't want to run too high of octane though for everyday street driving. It will actually make your car slower, because your stock ECU will only advance timing so far.....without engine management to either lean out the fuel or increase ignition timing, and or boost it would be pointless. I could see if you were stuck with crap 91 gas why you would want to raise it though.

man i thought us EVO guys only knew that toluene trick ;) ... and it does work.... i think you have to sign for it thought cause they use it to make meth...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Novtec1 said:
man i thought us EVO guys only knew that toluene trick ;) ... and it does work.... i think you have to sign for it thought cause they use it to make meth...
Woops, maybe I shouldn't have let the cat out of the bag :p. I haven't had to sign for it yet, but I wouldn't doubt it happening...I've only had to use it a couple times (the toluene, not meth :D ), so it might look more suspicious if I were always in there buying it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
well now the cat is out of the bag can ya tell us the ratios for mixing?

·
Registered
259 Posts
yea so now you guys can't say EVO owners are stuck up...lol

yea it does work.. just don't try it on every tank of gas....

·
Registered
259 Posts
boy we sure are putting out a lot of top secret info...aren't we WRicerX????

·
Registered
114 Posts
yea so now you guys can't say EVO owners are stuck up...lol
They are stuck up, you just have a subie in your kennel to balance things out a bit. :D :D :D ;) Just playin', seriously.

·
Registered
259 Posts
WRicerX said:
They are stuck up, you just have a subie in your kennel to balance things out a bit. :D :D :D ;) Just playin', seriously.
really i am :confused: :confused: :confused: ..lol

let see how mauny people try to blow up a car doing this????? :eek:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts