Cobalts SS banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so please excuse me as this is my first post here but i'm stuck and don't know what to do.

So I put my 09' SS cobalt up on ramps yesterday looking to do its first oil change, got the drain plug out and drained the oil but when I went to change out the filter I cannot manage to remove the black plastic cap. Tried using a 1 1/4" socket and a breaker bar but the damn thing would not budge. Went to Sears, Advanced Auto, Auto Zone... and they all have no idea what I need to remove it.

Is there some special tool I need to get the damn thing off or what??
Looked it up in the manual and all its says is to take it to my dealer/retailer for service but I ain't letting those apes near my baby! :mad:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't even see how its possible to get a socket ONTO the damn black part let alone actually get it loose... is there something I have to remove to get to it or what?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your reply skoal*boy.

For me at least... getting the socket on the thing ain't my problem.... I just really dont want to crack the plastic nut off this damn thing trying to wrench the bitch off! :(

Well I went back to advanced auto today and they had an "Oil filter socket" that is for 2.2L Ecotec engines which is the correct size to fit the nut on the cap which is 1 1/4". also it fits on a 3/8" drive so now I don't have to use the breaker bar I can use a ratchet wrench and extension I already have.

Here is my next question...
The arrow on the cap points counter clockwise... Ive been arguing assumptions with my dad and i'm assuming that means to turn it clockwise to loosen the cap. My dad, a 36yr Cadillac veteran is having a hard time believing this cap would be left hand threads.
Am I correct in assuming you follow the arrow to loosen the cap?? lol :rolleyes:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Do not turn it clockwise! lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yeah... thanks guys. lol

Ya, that arrow printed on the cap is for shit! I turned the damn thing counter-clockwise and with some elbow grease it came right off. Learning experience right?... now I have the right tools and know what to do next time. :D

That has to be the weirdest oil filter setup Ive ever worked on... I've owned 4 cars;
A 92' Cavalier, an 04' Monte Carlo and I traded in a 07' Impala for this 09' Cobalt and all the other oil filters I've ever changed were the canister type ones but this thing was very different. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
1,639 Posts
hey dont feel bad. I had a cobalt ls and i went to change the oil and couldnt find the filter. So i had to call the dealership. Talk about feeling like a retard. lol I never see a filter like that

·
1,087 Posts
I was going to pitch in too late with pictures and so forth. For the turbo version, is anything in the way??

Because on the Supercharged Cobalts, GOOD LUCK trying to do it yourself! It can be done, but only with baby thin hands.... The supercharger crams over the filter and there are a sh** load of wires in the way! Which reminds me of doing my oil change....

·
Registered
79 Posts
hey dont feel bad. I had a cobalt ls and i went to change the oil and couldnt find the filter. So i had to call the dealership. Talk about feeling like a retard. lol I never see a filter like that
LMAO!! I was like that with my SS.. I was like "Where the hell is the freaking filter?!" And then I removed the shroud around the engine. And then I felt like a dumbass

1 - 12 of 12 Posts