Cobalts SS banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, gettin ready to take my 05 SS/SC in for an oil change n tire rotation. I've been noticin that the dealership charges like 8 bucks a quart for the mobil one, so i was thinkin bout goin to walmart and jus buyin my own oil and lettin em use it since they said they would do that. What im askin is, what exactly type of oil do i need to get. I know its Mobil 1 5W30, but isnt there different types of 5w30, like clean 5000 or whatev. And how many quarts do i need to get of the right stuff, and how much do ya think i could pick it up for at walmart? Surely at least like 20 bucks cheaper than the dealer right?

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I always get my oil at wally world, dont get the extended mile stuff or whatever. Just get the standard synthetic 5W30, I think it runs about 22-23 bucks for me, and yes it is a lot cheaper than the dealership! And I think its 6qts if im not bad wrong. Id have to look at the owners manual.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I would always buy the oil then let the dealership do the oil change the oil filter is a bitch to get to.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I just went tonight to walmart for oil, $23 gal. and one qt. $6 (something to that effect) But I do like to use the ac delco filter from the dealership. Now last time I got my oil changed, I had to get my tires rotated also, and it only set me back about $15. so, figure, $15+$30(oil)= $45 and not get your hands dirty, and they dispose of the oil. Thats not a bad price, I dont think!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
This is like wanting to use cheap gas. Just use the oil GM says to use. At least while the car is under warranty

·
Registered
441 Posts
C'mon you guys, the oil filter is not that hard. You just have to take the two 10mm bolts off of the intercooler resevior and you are in.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm gonna have the second that you remove the intercooler fill neck out of the way get a 8" extension oil filter socket and its as easy as 1,2,3 or maybe it just seems that way because i work on cars for a living??

·
Registered
111 Posts
joedashow your only hitting 16.5 psi on a 2.8"?? really because i hit 18psi no prob.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm gonna have the second that you remove the intercooler fill neck out of the way get a 8" extension oil filter socket and its as easy as 1,2,3 or maybe it just seems that way because i work on cars for a living??
Doing a change on the LSJ is as fast as doing one on the L61 for me.

And JohnsRallyYellowSS what filter do you use? Or is it you just don't like buying it from the dealer? First time I went to the dealer to pick up a filter the guy said it would cost $11 but he would give it to me for $7 and told me where I could buy it for $7. Heres a picture I took like 2years ago

From left to right
AC Delco
Original Factory (same part number as AC)
Purolator
As you can tell the purolator looks like crap compared to the AC delco I've tryed like one other brand but it looked the same as purolator.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I Like using the dealer brand which is ac delco (factory replacement), but I like to buy my own oil. Also, look at your pic... the AC has more pleats in it. (more surface area) The less pleats, the less surface area, less filtration.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
i need to do mine tomorrow. i went to a salvos by me. get this- 34$ for a 5 gallon mobile 1 full synthetic!!!!!!!1
I waws hotter then hell during a nazi convention

·
Registered
112 Posts
I Like using the dealer brand which is ac delco (factory replacement), but I like to buy my own oil. Also, look at your pic... the AC has more pleats in it. (more surface area) The less pleats, the less surface area, less filtration.
Wow dude I totally read your first post wrong, I read it as "I don't like buying my filter from the dealer."
Like I said the AC is the best filter I've found yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts