Cobalts SS banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys i own a redline and have done like 5 oil changes on it but this week i have to attempt one on a cobalt ss. here is the deal, i was looking at the engine bay and it looks way tighter than the RL's so i was wondering what you guys are doing to get the filter out? please dont tell me take the s/c off there has got to be a better way.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
navymitch12 said:
Ok guys i own a redline and have done like 5 oil changes on it but this week i have to attempt one on a cobalt ss. here is the deal, i was looking at the engine bay and it looks way tighter than the RL's so i was wondering what you guys are doing to get the filter out? please dont tell me take the s/c off there has got to be a better way.
From what I have read and think, you have to take one of the fender wells off. I might be wrong.

·
Registered
156 Posts
If you are talking about the oilf filter (which i assume you are) I use a 1 1/4 inch socket with an extension to take it off. (the head on the plastic piece is actually metric but 1 1/4 will work no problem) I also have found to unplug the sensor that is right there above the filter for the little extra added room. Just be shure to replug it or the dreaded SES light will come on

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i am talking about the filter and i do know how to get that off, (same as the RL) i am talking about how do i get it out from there... like out from under the s/c which way do it go with it, in the redline i can take it out of the front but its not looking like that is gonna be possible in the cobalt because its so close to the front of the car.

·
Registered
156 Posts
be sure to wait till it has cooled off very well, if no it will be HOT and your face will do this ----> :eek: once loose and completely unthreaded put your left hand under the SC and pull it out, then wipe any dripped oil off the engine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so the filter will come out without taking the wheel well out

is there anything else you have to take off to get the filter out or just undo the cap and pull it out?

·
Registered
434 Posts
navymitch12 said:
so the filter will come out without taking the wheel well out

is there anything else you have to take off to get the filter out or just undo the cap and pull it out?
Yup, It's not as hard as it seems really. Just right size socket and extension and you alright and please please let it cool down for quite a bit. I got some nasty burns last time I changed mine. :(

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
guys i am gonna slow this down because i dont think you are getting me... i have a redline, i have changed the on it 6 times now so i know how to take the filter out and i am not dumb enough to be touching HOT oil. here is where the difference come in between the redline and the cobaltss....how do i get the oil filter out of the little area under the sc snout (not out of the canister that its in)... in the redline you just undo the intercooler filler and pull the filter out of the front of that hole, well in the cobalt the engine is pushed further foward in the engine bay so that does not seem like a possibility so what i want to know its how can i get the old filter out and the new one in, what path do it take in the engine bay to get it out.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
navymitch12 said:
guys i am gonna slow this down because i dont think you are getting me... i have a redline, i have changed the on it 6 times now so i know how to take the filter out and i am not dumb enough to be touching HOT oil. here is where the difference come in between the redline and the cobaltss....how do i get the oil filter out of the little area under the sc snout (not out of the canister that its in)... in the redline you just undo the intercooler filler and pull the filter out of the front of that hole, well in the cobalt the engine is pushed further foward in the engine bay so that does not seem like a possibility so what i want to know its how can i get the old filter out and the new one in, what path do it take in the engine bay to get it out.
I still think you have to take the fender well off. One reason why I probably won't buy one.

Ronnie P., since when do you need a socket to remove and oil filter????????? :confused: I think you are confusing the filter with the drain bolt. Yes, no, maybe so?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no he is right about the socket to take the oil filter out... personally a 32mm works better than the 1 1/4 but both work.... wasey i think you are the only one who knows what i am talking about i need to find out by tomorrow so i can do this.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
navymitch12 said:
no he is right about the socket to take the oil filter out... personally a 32mm works better than the 1 1/4 but both work.... wasey i think you are the only one who knows what i am talking about i need to find out by tomorrow so i can do this.
http://www.cobaltss.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1130&highlight=change

I was confusing the air and oil filters. HEHE my bad.

Other than that it takes a socket to remove the oil filter????? GHEY!!

·
Registered
543 Posts
wasey13 said:
I still think you have to take the fender well off. One reason why I probably won't buy one.

Ronnie P., since when do you need a socket to remove and oil filter????????? :confused: I think you are confusing the filter with the drain bolt. Yes, no, maybe so?
I think he was talking about something like this wasey. My oil filters have a 1" nut made onto the end of it. So if you don't have a oil filter wrench, use a 1" wrench or ratchet/socket.
http://www.knfilters.com/oilfilter.htm

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
no the cobalt and the redline use cartrage filters not regular oil filters there is a "cup" with a cover that is part of the engine that has a 32mm "nut" on the top of it you need to take that off to get the filter out. the filter is just a paper cartrage not a reg oil filter. go to walmart and check out the frams(just dont buy them fram sucks) but if you want to see it check it out there.

this is sad guys what does no one here do their own oil change.. well i am gonna go ahead and do this and take some pics and make you guys a how to because you should have a how-to for an oil change.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The canister that holds the paper element has a head on it (32 mm sounds about right) it cant be removed by hand, nor can you get a pair of pliars or channel locks in there to remove it. I unplug a sensor right bihnd the SC and right above where the filter comes out. (i think it is an AITS....but not sure) ONce that is out of they way, the socket and extension will go down in the hole NO PROBLEM. ONce completely unthreaded, it will come out from underneath the SC. Then just pull hard on the filter and it will snap out of place and the re insert the new element (you will feel it snap it and not come out unless you pull hard) re-insert the same way it came out. you can just about rethread it by hand and then snug with the socket and extension. I use and 1" drive extension and a 1 1/4 socket. The nut head is actuallly 32mm as mentioned earlier in this thread, but if all you have is a 1 1/4 it will work fine and wont do any damage to the nust head, which is plastic BTW.
YOU DO OT HAVE TO TAKE THE FENDER OFF FOR NO REASON, NOT EVEN TO CHANGGE THE AIRFILTER. I am not sure about the RL's but to change the oil on a cobalt you dont even have to get anywhere near the fenders.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thank you... little more info than needed but at least you can confirm that you can pull the paper element out without any major steps... and the redline is basically the same process just no unpluging sensors.

i think i am still gonna do a write up for ou guys just because it seems wrong to me that this question took so long... might be because i am a RL guy and get no love over here but that still took to long

thanks for the help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts