Cobalts SS banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heeeyy! um.. i got my oil changed last week for the second time but the first time not at the dealership ( if that makes any sense to any of you.. lol) but my oil life thing reads 19%..so i guess they didnt reset it or cant or dont no how or whatever.. i was just wondering if anybody knows how to reset it? thanks!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
oil life monitor

with the car running, push the i and the arrow at the same time. This will bring up your configurable options. use the i to scroll through until you see the engine oil life. hold the arrow until it resets back to 100%

·
Registered
434 Posts
workingforchevy said:
with the car running, push the i and the arrow at the same time. This will bring up your configurable options. use the i to scroll through until you see the engine oil life. hold the arrow until it resets back to 100%
Actually the car CANNOT be running. If it's running then just a settings menu will be displayed. Ignition on only then press both buttons and cycle to the oil life display and press the reset button.

·
Registered
434 Posts
When I first changed mine I had the car running, I could change everything but the oil life...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Do any of you read your owners manual? Turn the car to accessory, DON'T TURN IT ON. You will see the normal information, scroll to the oil life monitor then tap the gas pedal 3 times, sometimes it isn't ALWAYS 3 times so tap it until it goes back to 100%. Although GM says you can use the oil life monitor to reduce the amount of oil you purchase, I'm not letting my baby go more than 3000 miles on a batch of oil :)

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
TheExorcist said:
Do any of you read your owners manual? Turn the car to accessory, DON'T TURN IT ON. You will see the normal information, scroll to the oil life monitor then tap the gas pedal 3 times, sometimes it isn't ALWAYS 3 times so tap it until it goes back to 100%. Although GM says you can use the oil life monitor to reduce the amount of oil you purchase, I'm not letting my baby go more than 3000 miles on a batch of oil :)
Do you have a supercharged Cobalt SS? If so, I assume you are using synthetic, which would mean that if you change it every 3000 miles you could be doing more damage to your engine then leaving it in longer.

·
Registered
64 Posts
wasey13 said:
Do you have a supercharged Cobalt SS? If so, I assume you are using synthetic, which would mean that if you change it every 3000 miles you could be doing more damage to your engine then leaving it in longer.
I'm confused. How does having fresh oil damage your engine?

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Chuck the Canuck said:
I'm confused. How does having fresh oil damage your engine?
Cause you want some build up in your engine to help protect it, everytime you replace the oil a lot of that build up is lost. Especially with synthetic that is rated to go 5000-10000 or more miles. It would cause more harm to your engine to change it every 3000 miles, unless you are using regular oil then yes every 3000 is good.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Huh?
You "need" buildup in your engine?
I'll call BS.
If that's the case, I suggest going back to straight weight mineral oil and never changing it.
That ought to get plenty of that good "buildup" in there.

And yes guys, read the owners manual. It tells you how reset the oil life.
I don't recall needing to tap the gas pedal, you can reset it with the button on the dash.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
498Nova said:
Huh?
You "need" buildup in your engine?
I'll call BS.
If that's the case, I suggest going back to straight weight mineral oil and never changing it.
That ought to get plenty of that good "buildup" in there.

And yes guys, read the owners manual. It tells you how reset the oil life.
I don't recall needing to tap the gas pedal, you can reset it with the button on the dash.

Ok guys, when you have oil in your engine it coats all your parts. When you drain your oil and replace it you lose most of that coating. And it takes brand new oil longer to make that coat then slightly used and ALL oil is different. So the new oil has to get rid of the old coating and then make its own. Just trust me guys, if you are using synthetic do not change it every 3000 miles. If anything drain your oil, see what it looks like, if it still looks brand new(at 3000 miles it should) put it back in. I was a firm believer of always changing it at 3000 miles and with regular oil you should/can, but not with synthetic. Also the W on oil like 10W-40, doesn't stand for weight, it stands for winter. My dad and me went to a class on how to rebuild Mercedes engines, so take this as you want. :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
wasey13 said:
Ok guys, when you have oil in your engine it coats all your parts. When you drain your oil and replace it you lose most of that coating. And it takes brand new oil longer to make that coat then slightly used and ALL oil is different. So the new oil has to get rid of the old coating and then make its own.
Sorry, I'm just not buying this.
So it coats what? The bearings? Crank journals? Cams, lifters etc? Inside the block?
And you say that if I replace the mobil 1 too soon, the new mobil 1 will wash off the old mobil 1? And that's a bad thing?
Makes no sense.
In my mind, the only harm that replacing it at 3000 mile intervals will do is to your wallet.
Ron

·
Registered
193 Posts
498Nova said:
Sorry, I'm just not buying this.
So it coats what? The bearings? Crank journals? Cams, lifters etc? Inside the block?
And you say that if I replace the mobil 1 too soon, the new mobil 1 will wash off the old mobil 1? And that's a bad thing?
Makes no sense.
In my mind, the only harm that replacing it at 3000 mile intervals will do is to your wallet.
Ron

here is some good info:
http://www.autoswalk.com/mysofsynoilr.html

·
Registered
364 Posts
wasey13 is right. i work on mercedes and thats what we are told. most the mercedes are able to got 10-13K miles and sometimes even longer unless one year has passed then it needs to be changed regardless of the miles. some customers do come in every 5K and want thier oil changed so we do what they want but it comes out really clean.

as for the oil life reset you dont need to tap the gas pedal thats on some older chevys without the oil% indicator

·
Registered
137 Posts
wasey13 said:
This is what he said, and this implies that you will damage the engine if you change the oil too often.
And that is hooey.

I agree that synthetic has a better film strength and that it stick to bearings etc better than dino oil. That's why it's better.

I simply don't believe that the Mobil 1 gets better with use......

Ron

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
498Nova said:
This is what he said, and this implies that you will damage the engine if you change the oil too often.
And that is hooey.

I agree that synthetic has a better film strength and that it stick to bearings etc better than dino oil. That's why it's better.

I simply don't believe that the Mobil 1 gets better with use......

Ron
Honestly, I didn't understand it at first either. That is why I cannot explain it that well. If I was an oil tech (specifically the two[one from castrol, the other from mobil 1] that explained it to me) I could probably do a better job. It just has to do with how the molecules are after they have been heated up and coated on the metal. The castrol guy had stories of car's oil being perfectly fine after 30k miles and telling people that it is better to keep that oil in it, then put brand new oil(same brand or different). It has a lot to do with the engines and driving. My suggestion is for you SS/SC guys is to drain the oil between 5000-10,000 miles and send some into mobil 1 and they will tell you if you should change it or keep it. If you don't have the time to leave the car down for that long(2 weeks, I think), change it but still send some of the oil in. They will tell you how good it is and give you an estimate of when you should replace it, for the next time.

·
Registered
765 Posts
The following is from a part of chevrolet.com that you have to sign up for so instead of putting the link up I copied and pasted........

Most vehicles are operated under a variety of conditions. Your GM Oil Life system keeps track of those conditions and adjusts the mileage between oil changes respectively.

When your vehicle has been driven the appropriate miles, the 'change oil' message will illuminate on the instrument panel or driver information center when the vehicle is started. You should have your oil changed and GM Oil Life system reset within 600 miles of message appearing.

NOTE: It is possible that, if you are driving under the best conditions, the engine oil life system may not indicate that vehicle service is necessary for over a year. However, your engine oil and filter must be changed at least once a year and at this time the system must be reset. Your GM Goodwrench dealer has GM-trained service technicians who will perform this work using genuine GM parts and reset the system.

EVERYONE will have different oil change intervals. The person who drives ten miles and is in traffic jams everyday will have to change their oil earlier than someone who drives 50 miles one way with no idle time b/c of their particular driving conditions. GM's engineers have put a lot of time, money and effort into making the oil change meter thingy..lol Listen to it and everyone will be fine!!! :D Sorry for the long post!!!!!!!! :eek:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts