Cobalts SS banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know at what % the oil life meter says change oil soon?

·
Registered
49 Posts
we don't have a % indicator on the RL, but i'm going on 6000miles and still no oil change. the GM system is said to be very good, and that there should be plenty of leeway, but i don't trust it. that's why i'm going to wait until it goes off, then get the oil tested. we'll see, i drive it decently hard, and have rush hour for at least 1-2 hours/day, and am suprised it hasn't gone off yet.

i would assume near 5% to change oil soon.

that raises a good question, how many miles are racked up on you guys' cars so far, and what is the percentage?

(wouldn't wait past 3k to do a first change, regardless of what's said, there IS a break in period)

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I changed my first at 1200 and haven't changed again yet....I'm now at 6200 and 34%

I used standard Mobil 1 5W-30 but I think I'll go with the extended performance Mobil1 5W-30 from now on

·
Registered
454 Posts
No reason to use the extended life stuff. Has a disclaimer telling you to change oil at the normal interval. It's marketing.

Use what it calls for. As far as I know, the extended life Mobil line is not approved for the LSJ. Could be wrong though.

That neat that you guys have a % of life left. We just get a reminder when the life is around 10% left.

7800 was the first time my light came on.

·
Registered
81 Posts
dervin3 said:
I changed my first at 1200 and haven't changed again yet....I'm now at 6200 and 34%

I used standard Mobil 1 5W-30 but I think I'll go with the extended performance Mobil1 5W-30 from now on
yeah i changed my oil first at 1400 miles and i just came back today from getting it changed for the second time at 6753 miles and i was down too 34% oil life

·
Registered
454 Posts
I assume the Cobalt has the same 7qt capacity as us... so I wouldn't even worry about running 7,000 miles on 7qts of high quality synthetic in there. Even regular motor oil is good long after people drain it at 3,000 miles...

·
Registered
454 Posts
TConsciousStream said:
Oil is cheap, just change it =D.
If you do it yourself, it's still costing you almost $50... if you change it at 3,000 instead of 7,000, think how much you're costing yourself. I've done one oil change right now, as opposed to 3. You're talking a couple grand in maintenance in 2-3 years...

·
Registered
454 Posts
TConsciousStream said:
You my friend, need to discover the wonders of Wal-Mart. 5 qt jug of Mobil 1 is around $20. I always change mine around 3k, maybe I'm just obsessive compulsive =D.
Ok, so you need to buy two of them, plus a filter. That's $46... I buy my oil at WalMart.

It dosen't matter, we've been through this discussion on the other forum 1000 times. People have gotten 30 pg documents from oil testing labs, to demonstrate where the wear occurs. Oddly enough, it's generally in the first couple hundred miles after an oil change. The inital startup after an oil change actually produces more wear than people think. The 3,000 mile oil change is great, when you need 5qts of any old oil a a cheap filter. People should just do whatever, although the engineers that spent years developing the oil monitor system in the cars know a lot more about it than either of us. Seeing as how the cars are under warranty, and the oil meter is there to help GM save on warranty claims... they have a financial incentive for it to work. Alot of people go to the dealer to get it changed, we don't know how this guy is gonna change it, or people reading this in the future. Dealer charges $100 for it in some places...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts