Cobalts SS banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that in my SS, if I put the clutch in, and turn the key to start briefly, and let go, it will start the engine without me having to hold the key in the "crank" position, it's very convienient to be able to just turn the key and let go, instead of holding it untill the engine starts.

Has anyone noticed this?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
yup its nice so that you dont have to hold it there, its almost like a start button

.....except not a button......

·
Registered
240 Posts
Noticed it on my '04 Chevy work van first, I'm guessing this is on all GM's now. Hopefully I should get more miles out of the starter now. I haven't even looked for it on the 2.0, but if it's like everything else, it'll be a pain to get to.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Darksun280 said:
also if the car is already running and you turn the key nothing happens no griding from the starter. cool safty feature
LOL.. lucky you! heheh.. I admit, I've done it once or twice.. it's not a good feeling :( :D

·
Registered
232 Posts
Any GM techs out there know if this is normal ? I noticed it as well....
Benz has been doing "tip start" for like 10 years now....After working on them all day I used to get in my focus and try to just snap the key forward for a second and it wouldnt start ! Seems like in this car it always starts...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I also noticed that it *doesn't* work immediately after a stall, you must hold it in to restart the engine. This has been quite embarrassing at a few red lights, when I stalled, then flicked the key to start, only to hear the starter jerk, and then had to hold it in to start the engine.

·
Registered
251 Posts
tube said:
I also noticed that it *doesn't* work immediately after a stall, you must hold it in to restart the engine. This has been quite embarrassing at a few red lights, when I stalled, then flicked the key to start, only to hear the starter jerk, and then had to hold it in to start the engine.
I noticed this on my LS the first day I had it...since I had only driven standard for 1.5 hours in my life before I pulled the car off the lot I ran into this a few times (I think a grand total of 8 the first day I had it :eek:). I thought the first time was because when I felt it stalling I hammered the gas and thought maybe I'd somewhat flooded the engine but since it consistently did it I wasn't too worried about it.

Permafried-

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can't flood modern fuel injected engines by pressing on the gas :)

The system isn't 100% safe, I *have* ground the starter when trying to restart after a stall, I cranked for a second, it didn't start, then I immediately started cranking again and heard *CRUNCH* so I guess the flywheel was still spinning down when I re-engaged the starter.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I tried this trick and I quite like it .... It would be really cool if they had added a push button starter....but thats just wishfull thinking for an economy car

·
Registered
251 Posts
I crossed my fingers and tried this on my LS tonight and sure enough it worked...my roomate was amazed to say the least :D. Thanks for the heads up makes starting the car up that much easier particularly when I'm fumbling at 8:00am just to put one foot in front of the other let alone start my car :).

Permafried-

·
Registered
137 Posts
ExHondaMan said:
Any GM techs out there know if this is normal ? I noticed it as well....
Benz has been doing "tip start" for like 10 years now....After working on them all day I used to get in my focus and try to just snap the key forward for a second and it wouldnt start ! Seems like in this car it always starts...
Yea, normal ExH- considered a "feature" to most, but an "annoyance" to some. :p
GMs been doing it for about that long as well. Mostly on the bigger $$ cars though. First GM car I remember seeing these features on was the 1995 Olds Aurora.
WopOnTour

1 - 16 of 16 Posts