Cobalts SS banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I saw this baby parked in front of the Oshawa GM engineering centre on Thursday Feb 24th. Cars usually appear here a few weeks before they hit dealers in Canada. This one was outside the compound in the truck/car plant parking lot but I noticed there is a blue and a black SS in the compound. I'm excited to see the black, I'll get pics if it comes out.

The perferated seats look awesome in person!! I went to the autoshow last night and looked at them again. I wish the SS at the autoshow was unlocked to sit in.






 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
wow, that was my color of choice if i decided on a cobalt ss.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
I see something right below thie shift knob and right above the boot...

Please tell me they didn't give the Cobalt SS the child-proof reverse pull-up ring thing... It's like they either don't have faith in their customers's driving ability OR they couldn't do it right in the first place.

So how do you change your shift knob in this case? Or remove that stupid lockout ring?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Scourge said:
I'm pretty sure the Pursuit I drove (I'm in Canada; We've got 'em already) did not have a reverse pull-up ring.
Keep in mind, the SS has a different transmission than the Pursuit too. It looks to me like there is a pull up ring. I might be going by there today. I'll have a closer look for the pull up ring for you. It doesn't bother me, my dad's Saab had the same thing and it's not hard to get used to. It's not just to prevent people from putting it into reverse while rippin' down the interstate; it also prevents it from coming out of reverse when the key is not present (safety/security) ... at least in the Saab it was like that.

Maybe the SS has the same 5-speed as the Saab 9-3? I know that it is different from the LS transmission but I wonder what other cars share it?

If anyone wants specific pictures of this car, let me know. I drive by that area a couple times a week and it has been there 4 out of the 5 times I've driven by (since originally spotting it).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Zilla said:
The perferated seats look awesome in person!!
Yeah, there like the rsx. Pretty nice, but they also hold the dirt really well. But who's gunna get a Cobalt dirty? Like really? lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Zilla said:
Keep in mind, the SS has a different transmission than the Pursuit too. It looks to me like there is a pull up ring. I might be going by there today. I'll have a closer look for the pull up ring for you. It doesn't bother me, my dad's Saab had the same thing and it's not hard to get used to. It's not just to prevent people from putting it into reverse while rippin' down the interstate; it also prevents it from coming out of reverse when the key is not present (safety/security) ... at least in the Saab it was like that.

Maybe the SS has the same 5-speed as the Saab 9-3? I know that it is different from the LS transmission but I wonder what other cars share it?

If anyone wants specific pictures of this car, let me know. I drive by that area a couple times a week and it has been there 4 out of the 5 times I've driven by (since originally spotting it).
Well, the shift knob looks like the one in the Ion Redline. Almost exact if not. The RL definitely had a pull-up ring. I heard the transmission will be slightly different but I think that's all in the gearing.

Anyway, if you can actually go in and sit in it, that'd be cool. Take pics. Also, I want to know what the clutch pedal feels like. When I drove the RL, the clutch didn't have a whole lot of travel (which is good) but it didn't seem to engage until I lifted the clutch pedal to about 1/2 of full height making it harder to modulate. In my car, the moment you start to lift your foot, you can feel it grab.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Scourge said:
Well, the shift knob looks like the one in the Ion Redline. Almost exact if not.
I've been comparing the specs on the two transmissions and it looks like the SS Supercharged and the Ion Redline have the same 5 speed transmission according to gmcanada.com. What's weird is that the US and Canadian sites have different gear ratios listed for the SS supercharged:

GEAR | US | CANADA
RPO | MM5 | FPG F35
1ST | 4.05 | 3.38
2ND | 2.02 | 1.76
3RD | 1.35 | 1.18
4TH | 0.98 | 0.89
5TH | 0.69 | 0.70
REV | 3.31 | 3.17
FIN | 3.94 | 4.05

The Canadian site numbers are the same as the Ion Redline, the US site numbers are different. Another difference between the two sites is that the Canadian sites says the SS Supercharged is NOT available in Silver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Scourge said:
I'm pretty sure the Pursuit I drove (I'm in Canada; We've got 'em already) did not have a reverse pull-up ring.
It does have a pull ring, because GM put a cobalt ss on display at my dealership for 2 hours for some tour thing they are doing...and i toke pictures and sat in it and it does have a pull ring.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Yes, it does have the idiot proof reverse ring on it. There is one in Phoenix and I was sitting in it drooling. The car surprisingly had a lot of room in it. I am 6'2" 215lbs and I was very comfortable in it. I pushed the clutch in and my leg was competley straight, something I have never seen in a small car. The clutch and shifter were very smooth and short. The clutch was close to floor and did not have a lot of travel to it, the way I like it! I will defidently get one when I find one in blue.
~Adam
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Is it me or are the wheels acutally a graphite color? I thought they were polished... goes to show you what I know...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
yes... I was hoping the clutch was close to the floor... Speed shifting is that much, uhh, "speedier"...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
Uhm... when racing, I prefer clutches that engage near the very end of their throw. That means you do not have to depress the clutch very far to fully disengage it. Makes more sense to me, to have less clutch pedal travel then more?
 
1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Top