Cobalts SS banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up everyone. i saw on cobaltss.net that someone with a yellow SS painted his headlight assemblies yellow(like the new vette). i have also seen people on this forum with theirs painted black. can someone please tell me how they opened there headlights, what kind of paint or if they got it done, and how to seal them so they do not leak. thanx in advance

·
Registered
33 Posts
your headlights are not sealed (i.e. why they fog) so all you should have to do is take out sand, mask, paint, clean, put back in... could be wrong but i think thats it

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'm surprised none of you have contacted Morette USA to see if they will design and build new lights for those that don't like the stockers.
How good are the stockers, anyway?

·
Registered
2 Posts
To paint the headlights you have to put them in the oven and heat them up to loosen the glue then pry the two halves apart. Then mast and paint them. You have to get all the old gule off then reseal them and you done. Thats a very fast explaination. I havn't done this yet but want to very badly. I hope someone will write it up as a how to.

Dan

·
Registered
392 Posts
iball said:
I'm surprised none of you have contacted Morette USA to see if they will design and build new lights for those that don't like the stockers.
How good are the stockers, anyway?
Blegh..... I really hope I don't see ebay cluttered up with "Angel Eye Projectors Cobalt!"

I am just going to retrofit some bi-xenon Valeo's in my stock lamps

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Mercury said:
I am just going to retrofit some bi-xenon Valeo's in my stock lamps

yeah that sounds like a great idea. whatever you're tlaking about i think it has to do with HID's and i'll send you a set of headlights to do them for me :p

·
Registered
20 Posts
JDMCivic said:
I'm sure vwvortex.com will have a how-to on it. That is, if you can navigate that clusterfuck of a forum...
That's funny, VWVortex is where I started on the forums at 5 years ago...now I am here! :D You Cobalt guys are much nicer than they are, thank goodness. :)

slowbalt, did you say to bake the headlights in the oven? I am a little nervous about doing that. I want to paint my headlights too, just the same shade of black as my window tint.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
VWVortex is nuts... I started there too.. i think 2 years ago... i dunno.

Anyway, yea, JDM's right, do a sear for "joey mod" there... VW guys are perfectionists when it comes to detail

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here are 2 unofficial "How To's" from www.cobaltss.net:

Quoted from SilverSS/SC:

- buy used headlights , my car is leased so the I need the originals to stay that way

- buy a Flat , gloss or satin black spray bomb . I chose Flat black to contast with the chrome . I used high temp flat engine enamel mainly because that stuff is so forgiving when u spray it .....i.e. was too lazy to sand the areas I painted .

- Buy 3M masking tape . Cheap crap will let the paint bleed and 3m stuff rocks .

- fire up the oven , set at no more than 120 . I set at 110 and let the headlight sit in
there for about 10 minutes to soften the adhesive that bonds the lens to the housing . Be VERY VERY patient prying the apart cuz not only are they bonded there are lock tabs on the clear lens that snap into the housing . There still will be alot of resistence in the adhesive , but the 2 will separate .

- The SUCK A$$ part . Do what ever you can to get off all the old adhesive from both halfs .

- Once the housing is separate you beable to remove the inner housing so all your left
with is the bare grey housing with the headlight reflector mounted to it . Remove both amber parkight light reflectors , they snap into the housing with lock tabs . The piece your gonna pull to paint is more like a bezel with the parking light . Piant what ever you wish on the bezel as long as you leave the textured reflector portion of the parking light alone . Mask that part off good . As long as you dont paint the reflector surface , light output wont be diminished . I choose to mask off the rings around both lights so they remained chrome . You do what ya want , I think the entire housing being black with no chrome rings would look sweet too .

- For reassembly , use permetex Ultra Grey sealent ( this stuff rocks ) . Lay a nice uniform bead around the entire channel in the housing . Dont use too much or it WILL oooz into the housing when you sqeeze the to 1/2's back together .

Let sit dry and dry overnight and enjoy

Number 2

Quoted from WickedSS2005:

I did mine to match my SS/SC body color, Rally Yellow. A link to the pics is in my sig, check them out. To get mine done, I heated the oven to 190 degrees, baked them for 10 min to soften the adhesive, then to help get them off, I used a blowdryer to soften the spot I was prying at that moment, it's easier to start at the pointed end of the headlight - more area to grip. After you get the spot going, it's cake from there. Also, heat up the tabs that secure the lens to the housing, bend them back carefully to allow removal. DO NOT BREAK THEM OFF! They are essential to getting the headlight back on tightly.
I needed a second person w/ me to help start the lens. Be careful to get alladhesive off of the crhrome NOW. you can heat and pick away at the adhesive on the gray housing and the lens later. After cleaning up the sealant, You can take off the chrome bezel by three lil hex screws in the back where the lights wire in at. CAREFULLY pop off the square amber lens, and leave the amber circle lens on if you are cleairng the turnsignal. You can then lightly sand, primer, and spary the bezels. Use high temp paint. Reverse the process, use Permatex Clear Sealant (got mine from Autozone, 2 tubes, one per light) on the track around the gray housing for the adhesive, be generous, attach the lens quickly, press securely and use the tabs to "click" it in place. I then used the left over adhesive to put a bead around the seal and smoothed it w/ my finger, that prevents any breaks in sealant causing fog up. If you need help taking off the lights, PM me, but they are simple. Use a 10mm socket wrench, take off the 2 screws, and be careful to remove the light. Takes effort tho. Some ppl say using tape on the edges of the body near the light keep scratches off. Good luck!

Hope that helps anyone

·
Registered
80 Posts
Can anyone provide a link to some pictures? Maybe a step by step set of pictures. That would be very nice. redchevycoupe if you have done them can you take pictures or post them, if anyone for that matter does it please take pictures. But if anyone wants a good guide try doing a search on newtiburon.com and look up headlamps in the search. Lots of pictures. But thats for tuburons and i think that pictures of cobalts would be better for everyone. Meanwhile, I am going to ebay to buy a set of used headlamps. :) Matt

·
Registered
118 Posts
ok everyone, just my experience on how to make this easier.
1) make sure your temp switch on your oven is correct...this mistake cost me $160 to replace a melted headlight...lol

2) preheat oven to 190, then turn OFF to avoid damaging unit as you put it in. let it sit in oven a few minutes til it is VERY WARM.

3) i did not remove the old glue. instead, i simply reheated one side to bond back together when it was time to reassemble. seems to have worked great.

i did not paint mine, i just blacked out the lenses with tint spray. looks awesome on my black sc...but now i have to get hid's :)

·
Registered
945 Posts
fleckenwhat said:
ok everyone, just my experience on how to make this easier.
1) make sure your temp switch on your oven is correct...this mistake cost me $160 to replace a melted headlight...lol

2) preheat oven to 190, then turn OFF to avoid damaging unit as you put it in. let it sit in oven a few minutes til it is VERY WARM.

3) i did not remove the old glue. instead, i simply reheated one side to bond back together when it was time to reassemble. seems to have worked great.

i did not paint mine, i just blacked out the lenses with tint spray. looks awesome on my black sc...but now i have to get hid's :)

Show some pics or direct us too them if you could be so kind.

·
Registered
118 Posts
pics of the disassembly, or of how sweet the lights look? either way i need to hunt for my cable for the digital camera. i will put them up as soon as i can.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Any write ups or pics since november??

Has anyone seen any write ups or pics?

I guess post 'em if you got 'em.

Thanks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts