Cobalts SS banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We at Rage Racing and Rage Performance are interested in hearing from real Cobalt owners on what parts they are really looking for, both new stuff and stuff already in the market. But just new forms of what ever they have seen - any insight would be great.

Thank you Jason Whitfield

·
Registered
153 Posts
Personally.... performance, performance, performance. Part of the appeal of this car for me is that it already looks pretty clean in stock form. It's dressed enough that you can tell it's different, but it's not overdone, and I think if you start adding body kits and crap, you'll just over do it.

I'd love to see anything performance - headers, exhausts, pulleys, computer/fuel control equipment, hell even a nice air intake would be a start.

Chassis stuff would be awesome too. I've already bought a torque brace. Suspension stuff, better brake pads/calipers, anything.

About the only thing 'visual' I'm interested in at this point would be a nice looking dual exhaust kit of some kind. OH.. and I would LOVE to see a replacement for the stock spoiler...something that doesn't look quite as Honda Kid-ish.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Pretty much what he said, especially about the spoiler ^

I'm currently looking in to a grill for the opening to the intercooler/radiater (whichever). Mine is taking a beating right now and something is better than nothing.

Hey DanM, you said you got a torque brace? Is it helping any with the wheel hop? I was thinking about trying one too.

·
Registered
153 Posts
mken said:
Pretty much what he said, especially about the spoiler ^

I'm currently looking in to a grill for the opening to the intercooler/radiater (whichever). Mine is taking a beating right now and something is better than nothing.

Hey DanM, you said you got a torque brace? Is it helping any with the wheel hop? I was thinking about trying one too.
Just PayPaled him for it the other day, so I don't have it yet. But everyone else says it works wonders... and it's only $120, so I figure I can't lose. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
do you have a catalog or web site?? I would like a different spoiler, performance exaust, intake, headers, hood with a scoop, angel headlights, what about LAMBO doors

·
Registered
93 Posts
i agree with the grille - i've been looking around, and haven't found anything much to my disappointment...

·
Registered
43 Posts
LatnLovr81 said:
do you have a catalog or web site?? I would like a different spoiler, performance exaust, intake, headers, hood with a scoop, angel headlights, what about LAMBO doors

the RKSport spoiler looks pretty damn good imo.. id like to get it, but it would prolly cost too much to get it painted/installed.

·
Registered
64 Posts
ANYTHING that increases durability. What i mean by that is for my Z28, i had to drop $2500 in a heavy duty, braced, big axled, lightweight center section 9" rear end. I want something in a Cobalt SS that can take the 6000rpm dumps that my Z could take now. HD internals in the tranny as well as front driveline. otherwise, it'll be a long time before we start to see some REALLY good numbers out of these vehicles!

Chris

·
Banned
200 Posts
We at Rage Racing and Rage Performance are interested in hearing from real Cobalt owners on what parts they are really looking for, both new stuff and stuff already in the market. But just new forms of what ever they have seen - any insight would be great.

Thank you Jason Whitfield
---Colder spark plugs: Simple yes, but definetely needed. I dont think anyone knows part numbers yet for plugs so if you find out, sell them in ranges from 1 step colder all the way to 3 steps colder.
---Cold Air Induction: Fenderwell kits if possible(like those for the GTP), and models that are contained within the engine compartment that have a sealed airbox that prevents heat transfer into the box so the filter is sucking in cold air. Here are two example for the GTP...
Fenderwell Intake System

Airbox CAI System, this one from Wizaired

---Exhaust systems: Headers, larger downpipes, cat convertors, and catback exhaust systems in varying sizes, materials(stainless,aluminized steel), mufflers, and exhaust tip configurations. Standard size IMHO shold be 2.5" with 3" available for those SS owners looking for 350+hp. Produce a wide range of configurations like I listed to span everyones needs, from those looking for a budget part to those looking for a high quality long lasting product.
---Pullies: This is a no brainer, and something that SFPH already has covered, but maybe you could make your own modular systems or even become a distributor for SFPH if they work that way. But definetely pullies, ranging in size from 3.25" all the way to 2.5" after the market has engine mods available to make a 2.5" work in the first place. Also, offer belts that correlate to different size pullies.
---Supercharger upgrades/modifications: Offer ported/polished blowers in return for a core. Might have to outsource to a machine shop to do so, but if these guys know whats good for them a ported blower will be in their future if theyre looking to get serious.
---Upgraded IC cooling options: Not sure about this one, but maybe theres room to upgrade to a larger radiator for the IC coolant and larger more efficient hoses to allow for a larger cooling capacity, from the stock IC as well as an aftermarket unit when one becomes available.
---AFC/Piggybck/Tuning/Scanning software: Umm I dont think I need to explain this one. Engineer some sort of AFC for entry level tuners with typical bolt on mods. ZZPerformance sells a real nice AFC 2.2 for the 3800 motor, maybe they would be interested in doing one for the SS?? Also a datalogger/scanning software that can be loaded into a Palm device, like the LS1m www.ls1m.com . Real neat product, and real cheap and easy to use. Plugs in to the car through the OBDII port and scans almost every parameter available on LS1 and L67 motors, and scans basic parameters on most OBDII motors.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Id like to see on my Redline a piggy back controler for fuel for larger injectors. A way to turn up/down boost via the stock controler electronicly. A few upgrades in terms of Hp would be great. Perhaps a good cam set.

I already make the torque braces so you dont need to do that.

as for DanM a few more days and your car is born right. Also yours brace will be shipped out tomorrow morning for you to play with till the rest of your car meets it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ive seen teh exhaust on rk sport but im really disappointed about the availability of parts. The car was just produced i know that but hey get some parts out there for us. Cold air intake would be very nice exhaust with headers down pipes cats and anything to make the car louder. you should also offer dual and single exhaust just like rksport. Love the cobalt ss and want to see lots of parts available for it soon. Definately a garunteed buyer. Also let us hear what the exhaust sounds like biigg seller.

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
Autobiz said:
ANYTHING that increases durability. What i mean by that is for my Z28, i had to drop $2500 in a heavy duty, braced, big axled, lightweight center section 9" rear end. I want something in a Cobalt SS that can take the 6000rpm dumps that my Z could take now. HD internals in the tranny as well as front driveline. otherwise, it'll be a long time before we start to see some REALLY good numbers out of these vehicles!

Chris
LOL I know what ya mean by this, but a 6K drop on an SS would do nothin but create some tire smoke! LOL

·
Registered
64 Posts
CoBIZZLE said:
LOL I know what ya mean by this, but a 6K drop on an SS would do nothin but create some tire smoke! LOL
I think i can find a 15" Bogart drag rim for the front with a slick so the tire smoke would be eliminated.

Ignition stuff to produce a more consistent spark and a strong spark. I dont' know how good the stock ignitions are, but if they are anything like the LS1 ignition, then maybe it doesn't need anything. a two step and a window switch would be great if the current offerings from MSD aren't compatible.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would think that the exhaust is the 1st thing people should be looking into.

Then a nice set of MM is need be.

What is the deal with the PCM's on these cars? Are they similar to the SRT4s at all? Has anyone strapped one down to see fueltrims?

·
Registered
64 Posts
my buddies over at HP Tuners are working on it right now.

is there a better shifter out yet? I mean you have the stock Z28 shifter, than the "upgraded" SLP SS shifter that is worth as much as the stock one and then the Pro 5.0 shifter that is top notch. Anything out of the SS's yet

1 - 20 of 36 Posts