Cobalts SS banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts

·
Banned
200 Posts
Its fake dont do it. This subject has been beat to death all over the internet. All it does is trick your PCM into thinking the intake air is a bit colder than it really is, richening the mixture and advancing spark timing VERY SLIGHTLY. It might give you like 3hp at the very most. Most cars run lean from the factory anyways so adding fuel is usually dumb.
So basically, its worthless, and if you really wanna do it go buy a resistor yourself at radio shack for alot cheaper and plug it in.

·
Registered
509 Posts
MY GTP 8 U said:
Its fake dont do it. This subject has been beat to death all over the internet. All it does is trick your PCM into thinking the intake air is a bit colder than it really is, richening the mixture and advancing spark timing VERY SLIGHTLY. It might give you like 3hp at the very most. Most cars run lean from the factory anyways so adding fuel is usually dumb.
So basically, its worthless, and if you really wanna do it go buy a resistor yourself at radio shack for alot cheaper and plug it in.

I agree.. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys. i wasn't planning on getting mainly because it looks like a couple of LD kids built it. but now i know the reason why i shouldnt.

·
Registered
509 Posts
labelkills98 said:
thanks guys. i wasn't planning on getting mainly because it looks like a couple of LD kids built it. but now i know the reason why i shouldnt.

Your welcome :cool:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Not to bash anyone as it is a common misconception, but since several people have made the same error, I just want to correct it.

The resistor will indeed fool the sensor into thinking it is a different temperature, but as temp increases resistance increases, so adding an external resistance makes the computer think it is warmer, not colder than actual temp. This will temporarily lean the engine out (until the PCM 'learns' from the other sensors and puts you back to stock levels).

Generally a bad idea in my opinion to remove/modify information the PCM uses to keep from damaging your engine. Will it hurt you? Probably not, as all cars are programmed to be rich at WOT for safety. Will it help you? Maybe slightly at first, then the car will adapt and remove the increase (which is quite low to begin with).

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
DigDug said:
The resistor will indeed fool the sensor into thinking it is a different temperature, but as temp increases resistance increases, so adding an external resistance makes the computer think it is warmer, not colder than actual temp. This will temporarily lean the engine out (until the PCM 'learns' from the other sensors and puts you back to stock levels).

that means with a blower, your engine might go kablooey (in simple terms)

·
Registered
153 Posts
DigDug said:
Not to bash anyone as it is a common misconception, but since several people have made the same error, I just want to correct it.

Generally a bad idea in my opinion to remove/modify information the PCM uses to keep from damaging your engine. Will it hurt you? Probably not, as all cars are programmed to be rich at WOT for safety. Will it help you? Maybe slightly at first, then the car will adapt and remove the increase (which is quite low to begin with).
Not to bash anyone, but it's a bitch when you correct something wrong. :)

The temperature sensor is what's called a Negative Temperature Coefficient thermistor (NTC). That means as temperature increases, resistance decreases. Not the other way around. Every GM I've ever heard of has been NTC, and I'm pretty sure just about every car is too.

What this box does depends on how it's wired. Wire an additional resistor in series and you get higher resistance = colder (perceived) temperature. Wire it in parallel and you get lower resistance = hotter. Colder = more fuel and timing (in principle), hotter = less fuel and more retard (in principle). Practically it probably won't do shit. :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
and I thought it was a PTC, thanks for the correction. They must wire the resistor in parallel then. The common misconception still stands though, the resistor fools the PCM into thinking it is ingesting warmer air than it actually is, not colder.

·
Registered
153 Posts
DigDug said:
and I thought it was a PTC, thanks for the correction. They must wire the resistor in parallel then. The common misconception still stands though, the resistor fools the PCM into thinking it is ingesting warmer air than it actually is, not colder.
Nah, PTC isn't used very often at all.

I've only ever seen one "install manual" for one of these, but they had it wired in series!! Guess they were hoping the timing would make up for the richness? Dunno. Either way, like I said, doubt it'll do shit. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts