Cobalts SS banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I work at Kelley Chevrolet in the Performance Shop. We are currently building performance packages for the Cobalt SS, that should be availalbe soon. On our black SS, I have ordered a 3.00" pulley which will put the boost up 4 psi. This week I should be dyno testing it to see what its benefits are. I am also going to try out several other pulley sizes. I will keep you informed on the gains. We are located in Hallandale, Florida, which is just south of Ft. Lauderdale. If you are interested in getting more power out of your SS, or simply running your car on the dyno, please let me know or stop by the shop. Email me for directions. Thanks, John

·
Registered
57 Posts
how are you going to get around the EBPV??

·
Registered
492 Posts
I'm in sunrise florida and would like to know how you're gonna get around the ecm as well. And also, if the cobalts use your kit, what condition will their warranty be in after the install? I would like to come see what's up, so what shop are you going to be using to dyno tune?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Blue04RedLine said:
I'm in sunrise florida and would like to know how you're gonna get around the ecm as well. And also, if the cobalts use your kit, what condition will their warranty be in after the install? I would like to come see what's up, so what shop are you going to be using to dyno tune?
Your warranty will be same as if you modified a Redline/Cobalt/SRT-4.
"Non-existant" on the drivetrain.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
ok first question- i have a dyno at my shop and tuner that comes in for me that is very experienced who is going to help me solve that issue. i will let you know how that turns out. ;) second- i can garantee you absolutely no problems with your warranty if you get it serviced/fixed with me. even so, most dealers should not give you any issues. but it will never "terminate" or become "non-exsistant" unless you go to a dealer that is mad at you or is in a very very bad mood(if so, they will put a VIN block on your vehicle) :eek:

·
Registered
38 Posts
kelleyperformance said:
Hi everyone. I work at Kelley Chevrolet in the Performance Shop. We are currently building performance packages for the Cobalt SS, that should be availalbe soon. On our black SS, I have ordered a 3.00" pulley which will put the boost up 4 psi. This week I should be dyno testing it to see what its benefits are. I am also going to try out several other pulley sizes. I will keep you informed on the gains. We are located in Hallandale, Florida, which is just south of Ft. Lauderdale. If you are interested in getting more power out of your SS, or simply running your car on the dyno, please let me know or stop by the shop. Email me for directions. Thanks, John
John, thank you for letting us assist you with our DUB 3.0" pulley unit and keep us posted as to your individual performance results on your test vehicle. We also have other DUB Pulley Ring sizes all the way down to 2.80" for yet, more added boost, fully dependant on ECU reprogramming etc. Good luck to you and Bill on your project vehicle.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have got the first two things on my cobalt now. i have also run it on my dyno. i have made a custom K & N filter, and put colder copper NGK R plugs in it. it put out 204 HP at the wheels, which is arround 233 engine HP. i purchased a NOS kit to spray the intercooler yesterday, and also have FOUND A WAY ARROUND THE PCM. i will install the 3.00" pulley monday and the NOS. i am expecting arround 250-260 wheel HP.

·
Registered
492 Posts
kelleyperformance said:
i have got the first two things on my cobalt now. i have also run it on my dyno. i have made a custom K & N filter, and put colder copper NGK R plugs in it. it put out 204 HP at the wheels, which is arround 233 engine HP. i purchased a NOS kit to spray the intercooler yesterday, and also have FOUND A WAY ARROUND THE PCM. i will install the 3.00" pulley monday and the NOS. i am expecting arround 250-260 wheel HP.
Well, one thing I was wondering, is what the base dyno was, so we can see what kinda of gain the "first two things" got you. And also, being out intercooler is integrated into the intake manifold, how are you going to spray it with the nitrous? Just a couple questions. O yeah, HOW'D YOU GET AROUND THE COMP?!?!?!?! That's all :D .

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Blue04RedLine said:
Well, one thing I was wondering, is what the base dyno was, so we can see what kinda of gain the "first two things" got you. And also, being out intercooler is integrated into the intake manifold, how are you going to spray it with the nitrous? Just a couple questions. O yeah, HOW'D YOU GET AROUND THE COMP?!?!?!?! That's all :D .
ok first- i am running the car with all factory equiptment on monday, so then we can get a baseline. second- of course the intercooler is cooling the intake manifold, but the actual intercooler is in between the condensor and the radiator, and the spray is applied in front of the intercooler itself, with an aluminum snake-like hose. all it does is basically freeze the intercooler, making the air very cold. last- how did i get past the PCM? i have done some testing, but not extesnsive, on this problem. my results were going great, until my "bypass" broke. this is a very important thing, and if done wrong or cheap, by an unexperienced person, you could seriously damage your car. i will be selling a "fix" to the PCM that is indeed very safe and will not effect the air/fuel. later this week, most likely weds or thurs, i should have the "fix" installed and i will then test it in every aspect. :D

·
Registered
347 Posts
kelleyperformance said:
ok first- i am running the car with all factory equiptment on monday, so then we can get a baseline. second- of course the intercooler is cooling the intake manifold, but the actual intercooler is in between the condensor and the radiator, and the spray is applied in front of the intercooler itself, with an aluminum snake-like hose. all it does is basically freeze the intercooler, making the air very cold. last- how did i get past the PCM? i have done some testing, but not extesnsive, on this problem. my results were going great, until my "bypass" broke. this is a very important thing, and if done wrong or cheap, by an unexperienced person, you could seriously damage your car. i will be selling a "fix" to the PCM that is indeed very safe and will not effect the air/fuel. later this week, most likely weds or thurs, i should have the "fix" installed and i will then test it in every aspect. :D

That is interesting becuase i had thought the "intercooler" had been disscussed before. The "intercooler is located under the S/C and the part in front of the car is as GM calls it a "Radiator" or for laymans terms "heat exchanger".it goes condensor, "radiator" heat exchnager, then the true radiator for the vehicle. which if you are spraying NOS on it will still have the same effect cooling the fluid which runs to the intercooler, but you in fact would not be spraying the intercooler

·
Registered
57 Posts
keep in mind that he may be on a different type of dyno. But if he is using a dynojet then yes I fully agree with you Mercury.

To expand on what littleSS said. Will cooling the fluid be of any benefit? Yes I think it would but.... just think of how long you will have to keep the spray on to even cool the fluid down enough to make a difference.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the intercooler is indeed in between the condenser and the radiator, but it can be called a "heat exchanger" if you like. thats just another name. that is the part that you want to cool, because that is the part that the air cools the fluid at. you are correct in a sense tho. the fluid does flow under the supercharger to the intake manifold. the spray will not have to be held down for long at all, and it will have a signifigant impact on the cars operating temp, and the performance of the car. the fluid gets very hot inside the intercooler, and the NOS is very cold, which will almost freeze the intercooler, which in turn will signifigantly cool the air. when i install it 2morrow, ill take pics and do a dyno run.

·
Registered
347 Posts
kelleyperformance said:
the intercooler is indeed in between the condenser and the radiator, but it can be called a "heat exchanger" if you like. thats just another name. that is the part that you want to cool, because that is the part that the air cools the fluid at. you are correct in a sense tho. the fluid does flow under the supercharger to the intake manifold. the spray will not have to be held down for long at all, and it will have a signifigant impact on the cars operating temp, and the performance of the car. the fluid gets very hot inside the intercooler, and the NOS is very cold, which will almost freeze the intercooler, which in turn will signifigantly cool the air. when i install it 2morrow, ill take pics and do a dyno run.

i am not trying to be an ass but correct me if i am wrong on this please. the tradtional "intercooler" cools air from the S/C or turbo correct? the what you call intercooler does not recieve any air from, in our case the S/C, correct? it only allows the cooling of liquid which comes from the intercooler, hince the GM Name of raditaor or heat exchanger right? i am just trying to make sure we all understand which is the actual intercooler and what is the heat exchanger/radiator (for the intercooler). maybe if we posted pics, which i know you plan on doing tommorow. we could get this straight

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
littleSS said:
i am not trying to be an ass but correct me if i am wrong on this please. the tradtional "intercooler" cools air from the S/C or turbo correct? the what you call intercooler does not recieve any air from, in our case the S/C, correct? it only allows the cooling of liquid which comes from the intercooler, hince the GM Name of raditaor or heat exchanger right? i am just trying to make sure we all understand which is the actual intercooler and what is the heat exchanger/radiator (for the intercooler). maybe if we posted pics, which i know you plan on doing tommorow. we could get this straight

I thought GM call it an aftercooler? :confused: Does it really matter??? :p

·
Registered
492 Posts
Regardig his dyno runs, he could have also posted non-corrected numbers, like PSI-Fi has done. So the numbers might seem low, but wait to just see the increase, because that is what matters right now. Also, being located in South Florida like he is, heat and HIGH (like 95%) humidity also affect his numbers. Just a couple things to keep in mind.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
littleSS said:
yes you are correct. it is an air to water intercooler, so there is no air from or to the s/c going to it. all it does is make the water extremely cold, which in turn cools the air a good amount.

·
Registered
347 Posts
wasey13 said:
I thought GM call it an aftercooler? :confused: Does it really matter??? :p
i guess it really doesn't matter. it is just some people don't have the automotive knowledge as others do. just trying to get it explained as to what exactly they are doing thats all :D

·
Registered
347 Posts
kelleyperformance said:
yes you are correct. it is an air to water intercooler, so there is no air from or to the s/c going to it. all it does is make the water extremely cold, which in turn cools the air a good amount.

it is all good. no more remarks from the peanut gallery :D :D . can't wait to see the numbers

1 - 20 of 81 Posts