Cobalts SS banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I just picked up a 2006 Cobalt SS S/C. Obviously I did a poor job of listening to the vehicle before I bought it, I must have had the radio up too loud ;) Whenever the vehicle is under load, there is a tick/rattle, that sounds very similar to an exhaust leak. I have been looking everywhere for a crack or loose area but I cannot find anything. As I have mentioned, this is only when the vehicle is under load, it will not do it when the clutch is pushed in, or when it is just sitting at idle. I even tried jacking up the front end, dropping it on jack stands, and putting it in gear to see if I could identify the problem. From inside the cabin it sounds like it is coming from directly below where the passengers feet would be, or the passenger side of the engine compartment. So, perhaps there is a small leak that is only audible when there is more back pressure (i.e. when the boost begins to build). If I keep the vehicle below 10Hg it wont do it. And as I have mentioned it wont do it if the engine is simply being revved. I can rev it up to 5k if I wanted to and it would not repeat the sound. I hope someone with more wisdom than me can answer this question. Are cobalts known for this type of a sound? Or do I have a problem here? I hope I havnt confused anyone, I am just trying to include as much info as possible.

I look forward to your responses!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts