Cobalts SS banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently purchased a 06 cobalt ss/sc, have had it for 24 hours now and I've noticed some white smoke coming out of the tail pipe. Being a cautious person I ran it constantly checking my coolant level, and it was not decreaseing but I realized the intercooler had no coolant visable. So I filled it up and drove it around the block and it the level slowly decreased drove it around for 30 mins and checked it. Again it had no coolant visible so refilled it turned it on gave it some gas and it dosent seem like the coolant is being pushed through the line at all but yet when I drive it, it slowly losses it. I've exhausted my options checked the houses and no leaks so my question is, could it be the intercooler pump gone bad or possibly something else. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
1,087 Posts
So it sounds like the coolant level decreases.... You may need to investigate your head gasket. If it is gone, then you would be burning an excessive amount of coolant. Check the thermostat not just the hoses. Also does the car overheat, bog or anything of that sort?? Please more info!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as I know they come with Intercoolers, on the manual it has a arrow pointing down to the cap and spout that says "HOT FILL" and labels it as a "Intercooler System Pressure Cap"

The car dosen't Overheat, the hottest its gotten since I've had it is 189 degrees and that was on a 2 hour drive. No it dosen't bog down, it seems pretty smooth. I never thought that there would be a thermostat in the intercooler cooling system. Figured it just flowed the entire time the car was on using the intercooler pump. I'll have to inspect it once i find it. The more i drive it the more it seemed like it would only loose coolant if the SC was producing boost but that could just be a correlation my mind is making just from what I'm noticing. Another thing that came to mind is maybe the dealership that had it, filled the cooling system up but not all the way. I know some cars cooling systems after purging you have to run the car for a sec to let the coolant flow then add more. I haven't noticed a purge valve for the Intercooler cooling system though. (all though i have been assuming it is its own independent cooling system that's what I've been reading on *************) I'm not sure if any of this matters but it's better to ramble about possibly useful information than to not say it at all. I could check out the Head Gasket but the only way i know how to check it besides coolant loss and White exhaust is to actually get down to it and see it, is their possibly any other way to diagnose it besides getting down to the gasket?

·
Super Moderator
1,639 Posts
And you say that its white smoke, so it could be your head gasket. Check your oil, if it looks kinda like grayish- cream or pretty much any color then burn oil your headgasket could be leaking, and check your spark plays same thing if there white-ish

I guess next time i will read your whole post.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts