Cobalts SS banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so this dude that has a garage next to my dad's has been doing imports and custom turbo work for about 10 years or so, i thought i would ask him for some info.

he seen the airbox/filter when i was changing mine over so he has some understanding of what they look like. i told him that alot of people using the k&n filter some people are using is causing people to throw codes. he asked how big the filter was and i said it was bigger than the one i put on becuase some people have to cut something to make it fit. the filter i used was small enough to fit in the airbox without any mod.

he told me that with forced induction cars, since they use alot more air, that a bigger filter (with bigger open area inside the filter) especially right near the maf (like ours), it can cause turbulence in the filter and fuck with the maf's readings. he said if a bigger filter is needed, that it needs to be longer and thinner. not shorter and fatter.

i've never heard of this before but it does make sense. has anyone that used the smaller pep boy's filters had any issues?

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
i used a k&n filter in my ss, it's the same circumference but it's longer then the stock filter, so i had to leave the cover of the airbox off (oh well). but, anyway, i haven't had any problems with it, no codes for me. i've had it on for about 2000 miles and still no trouble.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Can you remove the stock air box and put a cone in place without any issues?.. obviously making sure the IAT and other sensors and vacuum lines are in place?

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
spooler said:
Can you remove the stock air box and put a cone in place without any issues?.. obviously making sure the IAT and other sensors and vacuum lines are in place?
i know a couple people have simply cut the airbox off of the tube and attached a cone filter. it's not all that needed, and you can just leave the box alone with the cap off and there really wouldn't be much of a difference between that and completely removing the airbox. plus then the filter has at least some protection. i'd reaally like to buy an actual CAI, since most of them come with a bypass to keep you from sucking up water. anyone know if the k&n has a bypass? it should.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you don't need to worry about sucking up water with the airbox mod unless you drive through standing water about 18+inches deep

i drove for 2.5 hours in the remnants of katrina the day after i did the airbox mod and had no issues at all. and let me tell you that it was a torrential downpour with nor breaks at all for the entire drive.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
i'm more worried about driving through a puddle 4-5 inches deep, since the filter is maybe only 10 inches off the ground. 18+ inches would be killin it, but i'm thinking so is 5 inches.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
i'm also thinking about winter, when i have to drive my car in the snow...

·
Registered
128 Posts
People don't get the codes because of the airflow, they get them because the oil on the K&N filters gets on the MAF and fucks with it. If you take it out and wipe it off the codes go away.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LoungeLizard said:
People don't get the codes because of the airflow, they get them because the oil on the K&N filters gets on the MAF and fucks with it. If you take it out and wipe it off the codes go away.

my filter is oiled, not sure why it has not happened to anyone using the pep boy's filter yet

·
Registered
156 Posts
LoungeLizard said:

NO NO NO dont wipe your MAF or you will really F it up :eek: Go to the part store and buy some electrical contact cleaner and jst spray it real good and let sit for 5-10 min. I thought i was going to wipe some mud off my MAF in my F150 and as soon as i got done the truck would barely crank and then it ran like shit. I had to replace the MAF and after some reasearch on f150online i found that touching the MAF it any way in a NO NO! (I am not being an ass just passing along some info ;) )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts