Cobalts SS banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm curious to know what power adders that there are for the SS. How much horsepower have you heard coming out of them on the street? Do they offer bigger pulleys for the blower and all?
This may have already been posted, sorry about it if it has.
Thanks!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Not larger pulleys, smaller ones. Yes they're out there. Nitrous is tried and true on these cars too. Now we just need tuning capabilities, which is in the works. Do a search, you'll find some decent info.

·
Registered
24 Posts
eh, i wouldnt recomment nitrous in a blown application, and if its a must have i would say ONLY use it as an Ntercooler, or a dry kit to cool down the incomming preboosted air (less likely to have knock) nd theirs more O2 in nitrous and so on. out of blow allpications a good intake 3" exhaust and a tune with plugs and a cam should be all you cobalt guys need to be beating a stage 3 SRT OH and some slicks up front

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Give it about one year. The market will be huge. All the testing is JUST getting started. Smaller pully's here, Twincharger's there....

The real mods will come from the companies taking their sweet time! Patience SSers, PATIENCE! I believe you guys won't be dissapointed!

jm2c

·
Registered
259 Posts
^^^^ I AGREE.. everyone knows the potential of these cars.... it won't be long.

·
Registered
186 Posts
MoparTurbo3R said:
Hey I'm curious to know what power adders that there are for the SS. How much horsepower have you heard coming out of them on the street? Do they offer bigger pulleys for the blower and all?
This may have already been posted, sorry about it if it has.
Thanks!
Mods are taking their sweet ass time coming out but I have already been talking to GM's preformace development team and they say in Nov they are coming out with "stage" 2 and 3 which will push the SS to 280 hp. That coupled with exhaust and cai, Ill be running 300+ hp this time next year.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I hope they don't cost almost $4k like mopar Stage 3 upgrade. The other tuners will probably have better kits that cost less than GM.

·
Registered
18 Posts
nice_n_lo_silverado said:
eh, i wouldnt recomment nitrous in a blown application, and if its a must have i would say ONLY use it as an Ntercooler, or a dry kit to cool down the incomming preboosted air (less likely to have knock) nd theirs more O2 in nitrous and so on. out of blow allpications a good intake 3" exhaust and a tune with plugs and a cam should be all you cobalt guys need to be beating a stage 3 SRT OH and some slicks up front
Nitrous intercooler ring would not really help these cars. The intercooler that we have is a air to water cooler, not air to air. The dry kit to cool the air would help a lot. I'm using water/alchy injection for that insted of nitrous.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey this is probably another noob question but, I am leasing my 2005 Cobalt SS and I was wondering if I am going to be allowed to install any upgrades on my car such as a CAI, smaller pulley, or the dual charge kit coming out, and if GM is doing staged upgrades would I be allowed to purchase them without voiding the lease or the warranty? Are the SRT-4 leasers out there able to purchase and install the stage 2 and 3 upgrades straight from mopar without voiding their lease/warranty? Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No the warranty is voided..... and i dont see how a cobalt with smaller pulleys and nitrous will beat a stage 3 srt4......... which have 355 w/ just high octane fuel and catback

·
Registered
498 Posts
SRT guys...does DCX cover you under warranty if you buy the factory stage kits? If not, that's fuckin' stupid. And I hope GM does (if they plan on having a lot of customers).

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
MoparTurbo3R said:
I dont see how exhaust/pulleys/nitrous will put those numbers

oh 'ye of little faith

those are big numbers, but those big numbers = a pile of cash leaving your wallet. running about 300hp is about what i would say most people are gunning for on these cobalts... i hope that all those hotrods people are making are not their daily drivers lol...

for about the same amount you spend on stage upgrades for the srt, you will be able to get similar results from the ecotecs in the future. i mean for $1600 on a stage 2 srt upgrade kit, not counting the exhaust you have to buy to get max power that isn't included in the price. it is very concievable that the ss/sc could get as much power for less money.

w/i kit, smaller pulley, pcm reflash, exhaust/intake and so on, the costs just don't appear to add up to that much money for the ss/sc... but we'll wait and see, only time will be the judge

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
selfinfliction said:
oh 'ye of little faith

those are big numbers, but those big numbers = a pile of cash leaving your wallet. running about 300hp is about what i would say most people are gunning for on these cobalts... i hope that all those hotrods people are making are not their daily drivers lol...

for about the same amount you spend on stage upgrades for the srt, you will be able to get similar results from the ecotecs in the future. i mean for $1600 on a stage 2 srt upgrade kit, not counting the exhaust you have to buy to get max power that isn't included in the price. it is very concievable that the ss/sc could get as much power for less money.

w/i kit, smaller pulley, pcm reflash, exhaust/intake and so on, the costs just don't appear to add up to that much money for the ss/sc... but we'll wait and see, only time will be the judge
Your right. It is a lot of money out of my wallet. But idd rather pay it than be stuck with 2nd best :)

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
MoparTurbo3R said:
Your right. It is a lot of money out of my wallet. But idd rather pay it than be stuck with 2nd best :)

but you don't drive a mclaren or bugatti, so you're already stuck with worst than second best :D

come back and talk to me when you have a turbo AND supercharger on the same vehicle lol... i'll leave it @ that

·
Registered
140 Posts
nice_n_lo_silverado said:
Nitrous is perfectly safe in any situation when used correctly. There are plenty guys running the juice with forced induction without any problems. It's all about the tune and setup. And actually stage 3 SRT-4 run really strong. It will take more than an intake, exhaust, tune and "a cam". The car will need 2.8" pulley with supporting mods i.e. tune, alky injection, exhaust, intake, and ported supercharger or nitrous. Drag radials are a definite with these cars and should truly be the the first mod. You guys are underestimating the skittles! That's a NO NO! It might look like a Neon but you'd better respect it because they will run out in front real quick.

·
Registered
543 Posts
selfinfliction said:
but you don't drive a mclaren or bugatti, so you're already stuck with worst than second best :D

come back and talk to me when you have a turbo AND supercharger on the same vehicle lol... i'll leave it @ that
then come back to me when one of the two decide to take a crap out in the middle of nowhere, and noone in the immediate area has any clue how to work on a twin charged 4cyl.
then do a plug 'n play upgrade and get 100+hp more with no tuning or real mechanic experience.
and I am pretty sure he is talking about 1st, 2nd best within their respective markets. I don't believe paying $100,000-$200,000 or more dollars for a frame, 4 tires and a body and running about 2 maybe 1 sec. faster than a $25,000 car puts me in 1st place. It's badass but if you have a wreck cause you're driving at that 200mph limit on your speedo...... you just lost a hundred grand, I lost 20.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
selfinfliction said:

Exactly how stupid are you? You can never have both in the same car sporty :rolleyes:

·
Registered
543 Posts
MoparTurbo3R said:
Exactly how stupid are you? You can never have both in the same car sporty :rolleyes:
slow it down a bit there Turbo...... there is a company developing a turbo to add onto the CobaltSS along with its stock supercharger, hence the twin charged talk around here. Supposedly pushing around 300HP.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts