Cobalts SS banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure many of you have heard different ways of breaking in a motor. I personally have always drove it nicely (no boost, less than 1/2 throttle, less than 3K RPM) for the first 500 miles, running straight 30 weight, non-synthetic oil. After putting 5000 miles on my Omni, and the piston rings STILL not seated, I have changed my thoughts on "proper" engine break-in procedure. Wait until the motor gets warm, then boost the hell out of it. I have been abusing my Omni since I discovered that the rings weren't seated, and it has broken-in more in the last 200 miles than the first 5000 :eek: . I have since discovered a site that confirms this method with real world experience beyond my own, but lost the link.


What is your experience with breaking in the 2.0 SC?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
i just take it easy as possible for the first 500 miles then i treat it however i feel like
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,049 Posts
I've heard folks say baby it for the first 500 and then red line it in 3rd gear if possible and then let it back off on its own to seat/seal everything up.

Other folks have told me drive it hard after a 100 miles or so. Either way the consensus is at some point rather early redline it up to 3rd gear if possible and then let it back off on its own while in gear to seat/seal everything. As to exactly when I have seen debates on both ways.

Any other thoughts out there?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
671 Posts
I actually hauled ass right out of the dealer. It didn't seem to matter much. I did notice however after about 3k my boost went from 10 psi to 12. The day I bought my car I was pulling out and some old lady pulled out and almost t boned me. You should of seen the look on my face ----> :eek: 2 secs after purchase so I gunned it. I figured well there goes the breaking in stage DAMN BLU HAIRS ! :mad:



2005 arrival blue metallic
cobalt ss/sc
stupid leather cloth not fitted right on passenger door
stupid painted plastic rubbing off
Great k&n filter
great underbody neon kit

I figure I should start posting the f-ups with my mods
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
1stBluSS said:
I actually hauled ass right out of the dealer. It didn't seem to matter much. I did notice however after about 3k my boost went from 10 psi to 12. The day I bought my car I was pulling out and some old lady pulled out and almost t boned me. You should of seen the look on my face ----> :eek: 2 secs after purchase so I gunned it. I figured well there goes the breaking in stage DAMN BLU HAIRS ! :mad:



2005 arrival blue metallic
cobalt ss/sc
stupid leather cloth not fitted right on passenger door
stupid painted plastic rubbing off
Great k&n filter
great underbody neon kit

I figure I should start posting the f-ups with my mods

i wanna see pics of your inderbody neons
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
283 Posts
Drive it like your always going to drive it. If you beat on it beat on it then, If you are going to baby it then baby it then when you drive it. Thats my opion. Me I beat on it in the Summer then when it Snows in the winter I baby it then..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
945 Posts
BizoCG said:
Drive it like your always going to drive it. If you beat on it beat on it then, If you are going to baby it then baby it then when you drive it. Thats my opion. Me I beat on it in the Summer then when it Snows in the winter I baby it then..

Thats what i do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
671 Posts
CobaltSSpeed

I will take pictures of my car this weekend. I get it washed every friday so it will look better. I don't know how well it will show up in the dark. So possibly I may take a short video. I have had many compliments on it so if anyone is thinking about it I would say go for it. There are many areas that you can run the wires without removing or drilling anything.


2005 Cobalt ss/sc
arrival blue metallic
blu underbody neon kit
k&n filter

coming for christmas
torque brace
k&n cai
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
1stBluSS said:
CobaltSSpeed

I will take pictures of my car this weekend. I get it washed every friday so it will look better. I don't know how well it will show up in the dark. So possibly I may take a short video. I have had many compliments on it so if anyone is thinking about it I would say go for it. There are many areas that you can run the wires without removing or drilling anything.


2005 Cobalt ss/sc
arrival blue metallic
blu underbody neon kit
k&n filter

coming for christmas
torque brace
k&n cai

i have a underglow kit in my car and it was a pain to mount the front and rear tubes. if you have any better ideas on the front the please let me know cuz twice now i have gotten a broken front tube.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
671 Posts
Where did you try to mount the neon ? My first guess would be that you tightened the braces too much. For the front you have to mount it above the intercooler. For the back you have to mount it above the honeycombs. I will take pictures of the areas mine are installed and post them. If I remember for front and back I only used to braces as opposed to three. One on each end where the tubes are capped.


2005 Arrival Blu Metallic
Cobalt SS/SC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, we broke in her engine fairly easy. No full boost, but it did see 8 PSI and 5k RPM on many occasions. Now it's fun time :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
I drive mine like a 16 year old, but maybe that's because I am 16 :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
I could only take it easy for the first 300 miles or so. I got caught in an intersection when the lights were out after a hurricane, and i didnt want to get hit, so i just took off. Only when i backed off did i think about the break in. After that, i just started driving a little faster each day. Now, ill pull past 6000 once or twice every time i drive the car. Gotta keep everything nice and oiled, right?
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top