Cobalts SS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finished installing the PsiFi kit last night. Install took about 3 1/2 hours. For anybody planning on doing this kit.... GET THE ZZPERFORMANCE PULLER TOOL.... Trust me its a pain in the ass with out... Probably impossible... I was just lucky to have access to shop tools and a little (stressing a little) know how. Idler/Tensioner Pulley was very easy... If you have any experience soldering the wiring was a piece of cake... Found that the instructions kind of sucked... Pics were not the greatest... Seemed kind of vague as well... Managed to figure them out ... I mean they weren't horrible, just a little confusing... IE First step is to disconnect the battery, Doesnt tell you where it is cause its not under the hood (In the trunk for those who dont know)... Plainly says to pull belt off of the pulleys, Well if you dont know how to operate the tension mechanism thats a little difficult... BUT I suppose that they aren't expecting someone with no experience with car to be installing the kit... List of tools needed attached would have been useful.. (Pulley Puller, 10mm wrench, 6mm allen, T30, T50 Torx etc)... Overall the instructions were very useable, Not trying to criticize just pointing out where improvment might be made :) .

Anyways for the results !
I almost had a heart attack at first.... First drive after install the engine bogged BADLY from 3000-5000rpm.... Didnt feel like it was running strong at all.... So I drove it back home and rechecked the whole install and everything looked good. Then I got to thinking maybe it was reacting badly to the weather... The first time I took it out it was about 105F.. So I waited a couple hours and drove it again and the outside temp was about 95F... This time it felt stronger then before but still bogged from 3500-4500... So I drove it home... TRIPLE checked the whole install and it all looked good... Pretty frustrated, tired, and worried I just left the car until this morning... I drove it to work this morning and the dead spot during accelerating was gone and the car felt really good... slightly faster then stock... Drove it about 10miles on lunch... Then drove it home tonight... Drive home the car felt GREAT.... Engine running great... Low end feels MUCH stronger... mid and upper end feel significantly stronger... Im very happy despite the early scare.... I think the PCM was just adjusting fuel mixtures with the new stuff installed... Maybe somebody from PsiFi or Ray has some insite into this ?

Overall Im very happy with the kit... Cant wait to get some more miles under it and see how it does... I tryed getting it on the dyno today but they were packed... Should be able to get squeezed in Monday or Tuesday... I will post dyno results... Gonna try and do 2 4th gear pulls and 2 3rd gear pulls... Also going to have the AF monitored...

Anyways I just wanted to thank PsiFi for developing the kit.... and Ray at Revitup.... Ray was great to deal with, very nice, answered all the questions I had... Anybody looking to get the kit talk to Ray !

Sorry for the long post

Yay... Ive been Psi Fi'd :D

·
Registered
227 Posts
Nice, I'm still debating on whether to get the psi-fi kit or wait to see if the GM stage upgrades will be warranty covered (at least to stage II)....sigh...the woes of warranty.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dynoed Today

Took the car to the dyno today.... Unfortunately no baseline with out kit on this dyno... It was baslined in Cali on a mustang and showed 216hp and 195trq... This time it was dynoed here locally in Phx on a Dyno Dynamics... Im told they tend to show the VERY low end... Ive seen base Cobalt SS run about 185hp and 175trq.... Owner of the shop told me that this particular dyno normally shows about 28-30% drivetrain loss in FWD.. So all that considered im VERY happy with the numbers...

·
Registered
81 Posts
damn it man you should have tired to at least go to the same dyno for accuracy's sake. Oh well At least you tried though thats apreciated.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Darksun280 said:
damn it man you should have tired to at least go to the same dyno for accuracy's sake. Oh well At least you tried though thats apreciated.
I may set it back to stock and go back to this dyno... Of course thats gonna cost me another $85 ! I mean I KNOW its faster with the kit.... no doubt about it...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jmc007 said:
Stock on this dyno would give you 190 @ 195 whp ...
Forget going back to the dyno... ive already found 3 stock SS thats dynoed on this type of dyno... 184hp/176trq, 187hp/175trq, 185hp/170ish trq (forgot the last one).... Im not even going to waste my time.... I know ive gained power... Based on these numbers ^^^^^... thats 25hp/25trq... Im happy with that... Only thing I MIGHT do... Is run over to the dynojet just to get some glory numbers for the sig......
But what I do intend to do in the next couple weeks is send the supercharger to get ported... I know quite a few cobra guys that have gained like 35-90whp (depending on mods)... I figure it might be good for another maybe 10hp ? maybe more since it should lower the air temps a bit... Then ill take it back for another spin on the dyno for sure...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts