Cobalts SS banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
actually your car would put out less boost. this is because of the "boost control system" that the cobalt is unfortunatly equipted with. what this does is basically turn of the supercharger by disabling boost and recirculating the air before it enters the supercharger. if it senses too much boost or powertrain abuse, it will disable the s/c. so by adding 6 psi, you now make the entire supercharger ineffective at almost all times. what you need is a custom tune or a program from a programmer that doesnt exsist. i have found a way arround the BCS but i dont know if it will work with that much more boost. and to be honest, that is TOO much boost, even if it did allow it. it would eventually cause great harm to the engine and s/c.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Can't we get some type of "Boost Controller" Not to increase boost, but to allow the new pulley to actually work?

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
18psi is not too much boost, youd need supporting mods and all to get the best benefits, but its not too much... and actually, psi fi's pulley kit will hit over 12.5psi, up to and over 14psi I think.

·
Registered
33 Posts
guys, stop talking about this so called boost control on your engine, there is one yes but it is not gonna take away boost if you get a smaller pump and it is most sertaintly not gonna make the S/C worse. clown over that the redline forums has ran the 2.8 inch pully on his stock RL and pulled 16psi or something around there. unless you get a bigger tensioner pully you are gonna have belt slippage and it might not be that safe with out the extra fuel but the engine is not limited at 12.5 psi it can be run much higher with the stock ecu. now i can not say that running the 2.8 all the time is safe but i would say that the 3.25 with 93 octane would be fine and get you like 2 lbs of boost.

the ecu only limits boost when it could harm the engine.

·
Registered
291 Posts
navymitch12 said:
guys, stop talking about this so called boost control on your engine, there is one yes but it is not gonna take away boost if you get a smaller pump and it is most sertaintly not gonna make the S/C worse. clown over that the redline forums has ran the 2.8 inch pully on his stock RL and pulled 16psi or something around there. unless you get a bigger tensioner pully you are gonna have belt slippage and it might not be that safe with out the extra fuel but the engine is not limited at 12.5 psi it can be run much higher with the stock ecu. now i can not say that running the 2.8 all the time is safe but i would say that the 3.25 with 93 octane would be fine and get you like 2 lbs of boost.

I hit 18 psi with it at the track, UrbanMonkeyGod was in the car with me and can confirm it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
navymitch12 said:

how much more hp do you think it will give with just 2 extra pounds of boost

·
Registered
33 Posts
prob not that much, ask clown i believe he said you could feel it, if you are thinking about getting the psi-fi kit it is really not that much to get the 3.25 pully and the 2.8 ring for when you get the psi-fi kit, it would cost you like 230 for the both from sfph. that is if u are not willing to wait the couple "weeks,mths,years" hahah for the psi-fi kit.

·
Registered
291 Posts
KangolRiot said:
how much more hp do you think it will give with just 2 extra pounds of boost
~7whp ....

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
navymitch12 said:

that boost control system definately exsists. im a GM technician and i can personally tell everyone that it is indeed there. just because your gauge reads 16 psi doesnt mean the motor is getting that boost, but the s/c is producing that boost, but its jus not allowing it to enter the engine. if you mess with the BCS, you could run the car too lean or set off a trouble code. just wait for the programers to come out for the SS and it will fix all this mess, safely

·
Registered
454 Posts
kelleyperformance said:
that boost control system definately exsists. im a GM technician and i can personally tell everyone that it is indeed there. just because your gauge reads 16 psi doesnt mean the motor is getting that boost, but the s/c is producing that boost, but its jus not allowing it to enter the engine. if you mess with the BCS, you could run the car too lean or set off a trouble code. just wait for the programers to come out for the SS and it will fix all this mess, safely
That is dead wrong. The boost gauge is reading off the intake manifold. 50 people have seen this guy hitting 16+ psi of boost. If the mechanical gauge reads 16 psi, there's 16 psi of boost in the manifold. No matter how you look at it. The valves control what air enters the engine. The supercharger controls what air enters the manifold, and the bypass controls what air goes into the blower. You may be a GM technician, but so are a few other people, and they don't seem to agree...

·
Registered
291 Posts
ArrivalBlueSS said:
I got about 6 HP on my SS/SC with a 3.25
hurray for my good guess!! :D

·
Registered
291 Posts
kelleyperformance said:
bah, don't ever work on my car man. Spooner already set you straight, I am just here to rub salt into the wounds.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sp00ner said:
That is dead wrong. The boost gauge is reading off the intake manifold. 50 people have seen this guy hitting 16+ psi of boost. If the mechanical gauge reads 16 psi, there's 16 psi of boost in the manifold. No matter how you look at it. The valves control what air enters the engine. The supercharger controls what air enters the manifold, and the bypass controls what air goes into the blower. You may be a GM technician, but so are a few other people, and they don't seem to agree...
Agreed. There is a system to bleed off boost from the manifold, no one's arguing that. But there seem to be some general misconceptions out there about when and why it's actually used.

·
Registered
153 Posts
theyellowtrend said:
could'nt you just run at a higher octane and run the 2.80 pulley at 118 octane and u would'nt get engine knock
You wanna pay to run 118 all the time? What is that, like rocket fuel? :)

No guarantee you wouldn't lean out on a pulley that small either. I don't believe the stock cal will handle that big of a change.

·
Registered
3 Posts
its olly 6 bucks a gal i was thinking just for when u wore on the track and stuff not for avery day driveing i was just thinking if that would work or not thats all

1 - 20 of 20 Posts