Cobalts SS banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i get my cobalt ss in about 2 weeks, and i was thinkin of dual exhaust, just thought id get some of your guys opinions on that, cuz personally, once DC or Greddy or any of those kinda of company's comes out with exhaust for the ss, i think the dual exhaust would look pretty damn good, as long as it had a deep tone and not a whiny little honda sound to it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
If you run a dual exhuast, it will reduce the "rice" tone from the 4-cyl. But keep in mind that this still is a 4-cyl.... you can't escape the "rice" tone all the way

·
Registered
454 Posts
Using the right resonator will help ALOT. If you don't use one, it will sound like a rice rocket. If you use the right one, and don't use 6" tips, you should be alright.

GoofyGuy has dual 3" Magnaflows on his, he loves it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
unless you go with smaller diameter pipes you will run into backpreassure issues, to much pipe is a bad thing.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
plus if you want to run a dual exit exhaust you're gonna have to replace the rear valance with one that has a dual cut out. unless you wanna be gheto with the stock one.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Nocturn said:
unless you go with smaller diameter pipes you will run into backpreassure issues, to much pipe is a bad thing.
Not nearly as much on something with a blower or turbo. All the race ready cobalts are using 3"+ exhaust tubing. Even with a pulley that is only VERY slightly smaller. Start modding these, and you'll see that the exhuast is a real sticking point at first.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
yeah that is one thing i like about srt4s more than the ss is the dual exhaust

·
Registered
223 Posts
Dual exhaust tips on a 4 cylinder is worthless, it's not like each tip is venting a separate bank of cylinders, there's only one!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
yeah, but hey they had dual exhausts on 1.6 liter mr2's

·
Registered
241 Posts
Sean said:
yeah, but hey they had dual exhausts on 1.6 liter mr2's
I believe it was mearly dual exiting exhaust, 1 pipe to a muffler that has 2 tips.

This type isnt what I was talking about, but more a header that splits into two pipes that are seperated the whole way, in effect doubling the exhaust size, which even at 2" is still to much pipe for a 2.0L.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Personally 2.5 to 3 inch for the guys with ego problems. Either way you can't go wrong as long as it's stainless steel. As far as rice sound, I don't hear that in any of the video\ SS, just blower & tire squealage. I would wait a little while, someone has to be in the works for something tasty coming to a SS near you! I thought that Modern performance might have something in the works???? I know that the srt system is the bomb. I would think GM should have something up their sleeve? What ever you do, don't get a cat back, those aren't the cat ass. :rolleyes: Full exhaust or stay home! The dual exhaust don't do it for me on the SS, it will add unnecessary weight, for no performance, and remember kids something that don't add to performance is what?? you guessed it RICE, :D just kidding! I think a nice 2.5-3.0 inch stainless from the header back, with a nice N-1 dunk style would be pimp, hell if it had a carbon fiber canister, with titanium tip, I might just have to rub 1 out. ;) You older guys might not like it, but I think that would be pimp.

·
Registered
241 Posts
h8beingbored said:
2" is not too big for a 2L with forced induction... dual exit exhausts are damn hot

No but DUAL 2" is, dual exiting isn't what im talking about, im talking about dual for the entire exhaust...GTO/Corvette/Mustang style.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
o really? it split after the muffler?
wow thats lame... i thought it had two sets of headers

·
Registered
241 Posts
Sean said:
o really? it split after the muffler?
wow thats lame... i thought it had two sets of headers

well its a 4 cylinder, so having a header split the individual primaries into two bigger primaries is redundant only to then merge them into a single pipe down the road..

And since most smaller displacment engines run single exhaust, or at least single exhaust with a split muffler it doesn't make sence to run dual exhaust, meaning 2 pipes all the way back when a single 3" pipe will usually be plenty of flow for an engine of that size.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
what about the srt4? Just wondering, but does it have two ssets of headers?
it does right?

·
Registered
241 Posts
No, it doesn't.

All 4 cylinder engines only run 1 header, as a header is made for a single bank of cylinders. All inline engines only have 1 bank of cylinders because they are all in a line. V engines such as V8s V10s, V12s etc. will have a set of headers...meaning 2 headers.

Since the Cobalt and Neon are front wheel drive, the engine is mounted in a east-west direction, with the header comming infront of the engine, and then routing down, and underneath the engine, then out towards the back of the car.

What a header does, is rout the exhaust from the cylinder into an exhaust system. It gives each cylinder its own exhaust pipe, that then merges into a bigger exhaust pipe down the line. These individual exhaust pipes for each cylinder only measure usually 1.25-1.75 of an inch. Where in the diameter of the pipe where they combine will measure around 2.5-3.0 inches.

Now Dual exhaust was fasioned for V engines, because there are two banks of cylinders forming the V shape. V8 headers for example, will have primaries just like a 4 cylinder, but instead of routing infront of the engine, they rout down and backwards, towards the rear bumper. This leaves you two options, either merging the two pipes into one, with a "Y" pipe, and then forming a normal exhaust system that you would see on any car, or having both banks of cylinders have their own exhaust pipe. Each with its own pipe that comes out to the back of the car.

So because of this, you can see having dual exhaust on an 4 cylinder is a bit ...out of place.

Here is the exhaust on a GTO, you can notice how there are two pipes, one for each bank of cylinders for its V8.

Now here is a picture of the SRT4s exhaust

Alternate picture of Neon single exhaust
Notice how there is 1 pipe, that goes into a muffler, and then exits with dual tips. MANY cars do this, The 93-02 Camaro and Firebirds did this, the RX8 does it, and many other cars. SO haveing a True Dual exhaust system (one that isn't just 2 exhaust tips) is pretty rare.

You will notice that its usually only on larger displacment cars, this is because as I said before, smaller engines don't need as large an exhaust pipe to get the same performance as they are smaller.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
oh ok gotcha
that was actually a pretty good explanation. thanks
i didn't know camaros did it though, cuz they are fast and would benefit from the true dual. please tell me the ss and the transam had true dual right?

ps i like the dual exhaust coming out on one side for the 04 GTO
i dont like the 05 where one comes out on each side. it just looks like they are trying too hard especially with the big scoops on the front

1 - 20 of 33 Posts