Cobalts SS banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
i was in a heated debate about this earlier, my owners maunal say 5 also, come to find out the Redlines owners manual and 06 manuals say 6 qts. Someone with an 06 SS please chime in as to what your manual says.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ronnie Pendergrass said:
i was in a heated debate about this earlier, my owners maunal say 5 also, come to find out the Redlines owners manual and 06 manuals say 6 qts. Someone with an 06 SS please chime in as to what your manual says.
Yea because i just put in 5 like the manual says and my stick says im down 1.....Its all f'ed up. I really wanna know the correct quarts because i dont wanna run my car low on oil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Its more like 7 quarts. I was pissed cause I had to run out and buy another quart.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
i took my ss/sc in for an oil change, because they had to look at the pass door anyway.
When I go my bill back, my SS took 7 litres of syn. oil.
I stopped the service guy and said "what the f****"
He told me the engines take 5 and the sc takes 2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
CanadianSS said:
i took my ss/sc in for an oil change, because they had to look at the pass door anyway.
When I go my bill back, my SS took 7 litres of syn. oil.
I stopped the service guy and said "what the f****"
He told me the engines take 5 and the sc takes 2
OMG What BS!
The SC DOES use a special synthetic oil BUT it's NOT engine oil.(or changed during regular oil change intervals)
The 2006 Cobalt Owners manual NOW correctly shows 6 qts (5.7L) ! It actually takes a "smidge" more (.25-.3qt) to read FULL on the dipstick so be prepared to get billed for 7qts unless you keep a "heel" around yourself to top it up with!

WopOnTour
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
WopOnTour said:
OMG What BS!
The SC DOES use a special synthetic oil BUT it's NOT engine oil.(or changed during regular oil change intervals)
The 2006 Cobalt Owners manual NOW correctly shows 6 qts (5.7L) ! It actually takes a "smidge" more (.25-.3qt) to read FULL on the dipstick so be prepared to get billed for 7qts unless you keep a "heel" around yourself to top it up with!

WopOnTour
So how often does the 2006 owner manual say the s/c oil needs to be changed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
CanadianSS said:
So how often does the 2006 owner manual say the s/c oil needs to be changed?
There's no "regular scheduled maintenence" listed in the owners manual for ANY GM car using the Eaton chargers. (for the sc specifically) It's been a point of contention for years, as they can go low-level due to leaks (or especially if boosted up above factory boost levels) So if you are using the PSI-FI kit or racing a lot, you should probably top it up "just" to the level of the plug every 5K or so. Your dealer wont do it!
You can buy this oil from your dealer or places like ZZ
http://www.zzperformance.com/products1.php?id=154
HTH
WOT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Do not use 7 qts of oil that is wayyy too much... The 2005 Owners Manual says 5qts with the oil filter.... Obviously the oil filter soaks up some oil causing 5qts not to be enough oil. I used 6qts in my SS..... Where do u check the oil of the supercharger?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
I haven't really looked around much under the hood yet as i have only had it a week, but i was told if i use anything other then Mobil 1 i void the charger warrenty...but i get a killer deal on Royal Purple...and if the engine oil and charger oil are different then i am not really changing the charger oil so does that mean i can use Royal Purple in the engine without voiding the warranty?

I will be changing it soon...i always change it right after i break it in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
Ramps said:
I haven't really looked around much under the hood yet as i have only had it a week, but i was told if i use anything other then Mobil 1 i void the charger warrenty...but i get a killer deal on Royal Purple...and if the engine oil and charger oil are different then i am not really changing the charger oil so does that mean i can use Royal Purple in the engine without voiding the warranty?

I will be changing it soon...i always change it right after i break it in.
Not using Mobil 1 (or other oil that meets the GM4718M spec) will affect your ENGINE warranty (not your charger warranty)

Don't worry too much about the charger oil. While it uses a special synthetic oil as well, (GM sells it) it's considered a "sealed for life" system by GM without any scheduled maintenance required. Yes in time (probably long after you own it) it can get a bit low, and can be "topped up" via the small black plug you can see on the front of the drive housing. However filling it to the correct level on the LSJ requires that the supercharger be removed so the housing can sit "level" and the oil level brought up just to even with the bottom of he fill plug bore.

HTH
WOT
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top