Cobalts SS banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a local store to buy wiring to swap out the stock (Pioneer) radio for an aftermarket head unit. When I got there they said I had to buy a $100+ wiring harness because it had a vital computer chip to save that little information box that tells you MPG, Oil Life, Temps, and all that stuff. They told me if I didn't use one of them, that it would stop working and I may run into problems with the car later on.

It sounded fishy to me but I don't want to lose all my info options. I found a cheap wiring harness without the computer chip for $10 on Amazon.

Has anyone run into this same issue? Tell me what you did and how it's working out for you? I would like to save the $90 if possible.

·
Super Moderator
1,639 Posts
well if i may say, I would suck it up and buy the good one. Yea its $90 but its worth to me to make sure and to know that my stuff is hooked up the right way. IMO

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I will if no one tells me that they have and it's been just fine. I'm not about to mess up my car with 4 1/2 years left on the loan.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Man....Thats a big risk doing that. If you are going to get an AMHU (Aftermarket Head Unit) Then the 100 dollars for the harness is well worth it. You dont wanna pay about 500 for that little box that controls door chimes, oil life, temp, etc. That harness just plugs right into the stock harness and and BAM! no mess no wire cutting and it looks and IS professional.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Good Choice sir. Glad you are planning on doing it the right way instead of taking short cuts

1 - 6 of 6 Posts