Cobalts SS banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, i am new to the fourms and am trying to help myself make a decision on a new car. I picked this fourm because there seems to be a fair amount of Cobalt and SRT-4 owners.

Ok, i am choosing a pre boosted car and have narrowed it down to a Cobalt SS, SRT-4 or a 1.8T Golf. All are pre-boosted and IMO all good cars. But what i am looking for is a car that i will be able to put the most add-ons without having to change internals. Also the thing that scares me about the cobalt is that GM is coming out with 2.4L turbo eco next year and saturn has the sky and pontiac has the solstic but GM hasn't annouced anything, is the Cobalt going to be getting it?

Thanks James

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
ok so you want to come onto a cobalt ss forum and ask which car is best, i think subconciously you already know or you would not be on THIS forum

i won't say anything else

·
Registered
155 Posts
2.4T isn't going to be in the Cobalt or Ion. It's going to be exclusive to the Solstice and Sky (if they do Sky Redline even).

Buying a Golf this year is rediculous. Wait for the new chassis if you're a GTI'er.

Also due out soon is a new SRT4. Wait for it if you're a Mopar fan.

If you like the Cobalt, get one soon. Good deal goes away in August.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I just bought my SS last week... I drove everything out there in the price range ...
VWs, SRT4, SS, WRX etc etc... SS wasnt the fastest... most comfortable... or the best handling... BUT to me it WAS the perfect compromise between them all ...
I found the GTI was a little cramped feeling... felt slow (may have been perception).. VW interiors just dont do it for me... SRT4 was fast .. hated the seats.. stereo was not great... interior was pretty ugly... WRX was very quick.. handled well ... looks pretty good... interior was lacking.. and it was about 5k more then the SS... When I drove the SS i found it was quick... handled good .. interior is nice... Price was right... If you want one .. get it now while the GMS pricing is happening ... Saved me 3k..

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya, I think I have subconsciously made up my mind too since I have drove nothing but GM since my first car. But still I am finding it a tough decision and hoping the site will nudge me in the right direction :)

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
JMac88 said:
Ya, I think I have subconsciously made up my mind too since I have drove nothing but GM since my first car. But still I am finding it a tough decision and hoping the site will nudge me in the right direction :)

the ss is a great car, it's nice to see a car with less than half the displacement of some v8's and being able to outrun them lol.... now if we can just get them to release the twin-charge system lol

·
Registered
509 Posts
Dan Richards said:
2.4T isn't going to be in the Cobalt or Ion. It's going to be exclusive to the Solstice and Sky (if they do Sky Redline even).

Buying a Golf this year is rediculous. Wait for the new chassis if you're a GTI'er.

Also due out soon is a new SRT4. Wait for it if you're a Mopar fan.

If you like the Cobalt, get one soon. Good deal goes away in August.

Right on... Cant get a better answer than that!! :cool:

·
Registered
241 Posts
If youre looking at boosted cars, also check out the Saab 9-2X Aero. Basically a WRX in a Saab body, 250 turbo horses. Huge rebates from GM on that car, a real steal.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Man stay away from volkswagon there terrible cars after 60k+, and there high as hell to fix when needed. One of my neighbors down the street just bought a 04 gti and he said he already spent 2k on repairs.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well i went and test drove the SRT-4 today i was really impressed, none of the GM dealerships had any cobalt SS so i couldn't test drive :(

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Mod friendly.... SRT-4

Great all around car....... GTI

It's too soon to tell for the SS

Search around, you'll see there has been tons of problems with it already. You should either wait for the 07 or choose between the SRT-4 and the GTI.

I'd choose the SRT because it's VERY mod friendly. BTW, I own a Jetta.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I called every single dealership in town and no one had one.....but wait. Over at Nicholson Chevrolet a very observant sales person had seen one come in but where was it...it was behind the body shop awaiting new vehicle inspection, it didn't even have the antenna in it yet and was not even listed in inventory. SOLD So I am now the proud owner of a blue 2005 Cobalt SS I am so excited should be ready by thursday :cool:

·
Registered
122 Posts
nice choice, despite what i have read on these forums no problems with my SS so far (knock on wood)

Be careful when i test drove my SS it had 11 miles on it, i told them i woudl buy it and came back 2 days later to pick it up.. it had 213 miles on it! someone must have took it home, i hope they didn't beat on it! :eek:

Just give it time, im sure there will be a full line of mods for these cars. And as for the so called problems... theres a 5 year/60k mile warrenty so im not TOO worried about problems, unless im in and out of the damn shop

1 - 14 of 14 Posts