Cobalts SS banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously i thought these things were supposed to be somewhat faster this kid has had an 03 srt and got an 04 and i was half a car length in front of him everytime. Sorry srt owners say what you want but i agree with motor trend the SS is faster.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Capone357 said:
Seriously i thought these things were supposed to be somewhat faster this kid has had an 03 srt and got an 04 and i was half a car length in front of him everytime. Sorry srt owners say what you want but i agree with motor trend the SS is faster.

Maybe its the driver not the car...

·
Registered
895 Posts
Capone357 said:
sorry buddy but if you read on that VERY poor MT review, you will see NONE of the times they threw up even match up. Research it bro, you will see if you don't believe me. And no, the SS is not faster than the SRT stock for stock. We need a 'beating the dead horse" smiley in here.

Untill I see a SS run a 13.6 bone stock, the SRT will be faster stock for stock.

Like he said, maybe the driver sucked. A car is only as fast as the driver.

·
Registered
509 Posts
orange juice said:
We need a 'beating the dead horse" smiley in here.

Here you go

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have to agree with the SRT guys here, they are definitely faster stock. I have a RL and my buddy has an SRT4. Its the driver if you beat an SRT4. Shouldve switched cars, then you really wouldve stomped him. Just sounds like you are a much better driver.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Oh god not this again...I agree with you OJ 100% on the "beating the dead horse" smiley :).

Sorry man I love my Cobalt LS and I know the SS is fast (and prefer it over the SRT-4) but there's no way the SS is going to pull from the SRT-4 except MAYBE for a bit in the low end if the SRT driver squaks and loses traction with all that torque. Once they're moving there's no beating that car in the SS, it's just too powerful.

Permafried-

·
Registered
509 Posts
Permafried- said:
Oh god not this again...I agree with you OJ 100% on the "beating the dead horse" smiley :).

Sorry man I love my Cobalt LS and I know the SS is fast (and prefer it over the SRT-4) but there's no way the SS is going to pull from the SRT-4 except MAYBE for a bit in the low end if the SRT driver squaks and loses traction with all that torque. Once they're moving there's no beating that car in the SS, it's just too powerful.

Permafried-
Right on Doc!

·
Registered
509 Posts
CoBIZZLE said:
DEFINITELY driver error, but hey man a kill is a kill! Good job.

True, but dont let it go to your head, it wont be driver error all the time, just skills :cool:

·
Registered
509 Posts
CoBIZZLE said:
Yeah cause if it gets to yer head ya might end up with hurt feelings! :(
or until you get caught by one of these

·
Registered
234 Posts
orange juice said:
sorry buddy but if you read on that VERY poor MT review, you will see NONE of the times they threw up even match up. Research it bro, you will see if you don't believe me. And no, the SS is not faster than the SRT stock for stock. We need a 'beating the dead horse" smiley in here.

Untill I see a SS run a 13.6 bone stock, the SRT will be faster stock for stock.

Like he said, maybe the driver sucked. A car is only as fast as the driver.

What are you saying? That MT gave the SRT a bad review or use the numbers to judge the two!

·
Registered
8 Posts
That was a terrible MT review, the SRT-4 they had was one of the slowest they said they had. The other SRT-4s they had were almost a second faster 0-60.

·
Registered
259 Posts
for those to lazy to search...

MT article

man seems like that driver thing does go a long way.... :eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Novtec1 said:
for those to lazy to search...

MT article

man seems like that driver thing does go a long way.... :eek:
Did you read the article? It said that the other two SRT-4's they had were half a second faster. My SRT-4 was 231/241 Stock, while people I know had weaker ones. just luck.

·
Registered
895 Posts
tomt5078 said:
What are you saying? That MT gave the SRT a bad review or use the numbers to judge the two!

This is what I'm saying. Take a look at these numbers I copied from the article below. Clearly these are drivers that are average performers seeing as how a stock SRT has gone 13.6 but never the less, here is the more important error with their numbers. Take a good look at the numbers going from 0-60 all the way to 0-100 mark. Now if you notice whats wierd or doesn't match up is that the SRT4 at 100 mph is already doing it in 13.8 seconds yet its 1/4 time is way off from that at 100 mph. Whats even more crazy than that numbers is notice the SS's 0-100 number. Its running it at 15.4 seconds!!!! The numbers are clearly fubar'd. Anyone with some track time can clearly decipher their time slips and see that nothgin matches up at all. To end up their little messed up chart they ended up putting both of them running the same exact 1/4 mile time despite all their other math mishaps.

See for yourselfs at their poorly exucuted article. In the end all this is is magazine racing which is pointless in the real world as most of us here know or so I hope.

Cobalt SS
0-30 2.2 sec

SRT4
0-30 2.4 sec

Cobalt SS
0-40 3.5 sec

SRT4
0-40 3.8 sec

Cobalt SS
0-50 4.8 sec

SRT4
0-50 4.9 sec

Cobalt SS
0-60 6.1 sec

SRT4
0-60 6.0 sec

Cobalt SS
0-70 7.9 sec

SRT4
0-70 7.8 sec

Cobalt SS
0-80 10.2 sec

SRT4
0-80 9.7 sec

Cobalt SS
0-90 12.6 sec

SRT4 11.8 sec

Cobalt SS
0-100 15.4

SRT4
0-100 13.8

Passing
Cobalt SS
45-65 mph 2.7 sec

SRT4
45-65 2.7 sec

1/4 mile
Cobalt SS
14.4 sec @ 99.3 mph

SRT4
14.4 sec @ 100.8 mph

·
Registered
261 Posts
I agree that Motortrends numbers are odd. Not so much in the SS's case, but the SRT4's seem suspect. Remember it was a one time comp. MT has posted better SRT4 numbers in past reviews. I also agree the SRT4 is faster in the 1/4 mile, but not much. The same day I ran my best time of 14.707, the best I saw a stock SRT4 on the same day a best time of 14.403. You could say it was the driver, but later I saw another SRT4 a 14.475. That was his best time of the day. To SRT4 guys, don't feel to cocky. You may have an SS hand it to you on the street!

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
orange juice said:
This is what I'm saying. Take a look at these numbers I copied from the article below. Clearly these are drivers that are average performers seeing as how a stock SRT has gone 13.6 but never the less, here is the more important error with their numbers. Take a good look at the numbers going from 0-60 all the way to 0-100 mark. Now if you notice whats wierd or doesn't match up is that the SRT4 at 100 mph is already doing it in 13.8 seconds yet its 1/4 time is way off from that at 100 mph. Whats even more crazy than that numbers is notice the SS's 0-100 number. Its running it at 15.4 seconds!!!! The numbers are clearly fubar'd. Anyone with some track time can clearly decipher their time slips and see that nothgin matches up at all. To end up their little messed up chart they ended up putting both of them running the same exact 1/4 mile time despite all their other math mishaps.

See for yourselfs at their poorly exucuted article. In the end all this is is magazine racing which is pointless in the real world as most of us here know or so I hope.

Cobalt SS
0-30 2.2 sec

SRT4
0-30 2.4 sec

Cobalt SS
0-40 3.5 sec

SRT4
0-40 3.8 sec

Cobalt SS
0-50 4.8 sec

SRT4
0-50 4.9 sec

Cobalt SS
0-60 6.1 sec

SRT4
0-60 6.0 sec

Cobalt SS
0-70 7.9 sec

SRT4
0-70 7.8 sec

Cobalt SS
0-80 10.2 sec

SRT4
0-80 9.7 sec

Cobalt SS
0-90 12.6 sec

SRT4 11.8 sec

Cobalt SS
0-100 15.4

SRT4
0-100 13.8

Passing
Cobalt SS
45-65 mph 2.7 sec

SRT4
45-65 2.7 sec

1/4 mile
Cobalt SS
14.4 sec @ 99.3 mph

SRT4
14.4 sec @ 100.8 mph
LOL hes talkin about the WHOLE second that it took the SS to gain .7 miles an hour and the (how would you say this?) -.6 seconds LOL to get another .8 over 100mph!! AAAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!! :D MT!!! phhfsshh!! Their magazine editors!!!! Not drivers!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
You guys should read the excuse given by motortrend. Nothing is actually done at a track. They use time cells to do there research and then factor in more weather changes to come up with most of there times. It is all based on equation and they even said in this case they made a mistake in not catching the conflict with their numbers in the case of the srt-4. I will see if I can find it for you guys and I will post up the response.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts