Cobalts SS banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting the ram-air hood for the cobalt, but do you think I should wait until an intake is developed for it? Or, how does that work with ram-air hoods...I'm slightly new to that sort of deal, any information would be awesome :)

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
Either/Or. You could wait for another design as well, maybe another ram air (Anybody know if RK's is functional?) or even an extractor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ram-air does little to nothing on the street. Unless you're in a race car driving 100 mph+ for an extended amount of time it does nothing. Forget about the intake development idea, and get a functional hood because fakes are gay.

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
DomesticKid12 said:
Ram-air does little to nothing on the street. Unless you're in a race car driving 100 mph+ for an extended amount of time it does nothing. Forget about the intake development idea, and get a functional hood because fakes are gay.
I actually agree with Domestic on this one, In Japan they actually produce "AERO kits" (not body kits) that actually are functional and the hood would add performance, but even on those applications, its like domestic said you have to be hittin high speeds for extended periods of time to benefit from the "ram air". But hey they MIGHT keep your engine bay a couple of degrees cooler, probably work better w/ an extractor though.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Will a ram-air hood on a small street racer even do anything when the air has go through a supercharger anyway? Doesn't that, ram the air in enough. No hood is going to give you more boost. Want it cooler under the hood,just take the hood off and drive around like they used to do in the 70-80's.....grow a mullet, put on a wife-beater and grab your closest friend and a 6 pack of Natural Light.
or on a serious note.... wrap your headers and intake and throw on a water injection system, you should be fine where heat is concerned and end up with a few extra ponies. Cheap and a win win situation.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
The only ram air that real worked was the firebirds and the cowl induction 70 Chevelle SS's with 454's. Any others really not all that much efective. The WRX has a flaw with the intercooler on top like that they just cant handel to much that is why it is the best bet to go with a frontmont intercooler.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Well the only thing I like about the WRX and the intercooler position is that it looks cool with the scoop on the hood, but with the intercooler sitting directly above the engine, it can't be getting as good of heat exchange as it could if it were front mounted or farther from heat. I'm not even sure if the ram-air function works than for more than cooling the engine off more, at high speeds like that the air turbulence is nuts anyway. Some people see almost the same gains as a ram air hood at the track by just putting ice on their intakes before a race.

·
Registered
543 Posts
87camaroPA said:
Yeah well but can you say the ram air Firebirds are not sexy looking when they come from behind you? :D Any way i would not get a ramair hood for the Cobalt i would just get a carbon fiber hood. :) That is just my two ¢ !
That would be the asolute only reason I would want a WS6 or ram air Trans-am/firebird.... they look badassssssss. That hood could take away power and I would buy it because of how good the car looks with it.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
mm_omega2 said:
That would be the asolute only reason I would want a WS6 or ram air Trans-am/firebird.... they look badassssssss. That hood could take away power and I would buy it because of how good the car looks with it.
LOL i know.

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
If I had a WS6 I would get this hood:

Raptor hood

It takes out the line between the upper/lower portions of the nostrils and I just think it looks cleaner, but Id get it mainly to be different...

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
CoBIZZLE said:
If I had a WS6 I would get this hood:

Raptor hood

It takes out the line between the upper/lower portions of the nostrils and I just think it looks cleaner, but Id get it mainly to be different...
I like the hood but i might still stick with the stock hood.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'm wanting to see how GM will top the last WS6.
They're gonna have to go forced induction to start keeping up with the new Cobra's.

·
Registered
543 Posts
displacement isn't always the better option.
Ford and chevy both fell behind with the focus/cavalier when the SRT-4 came out. GM went with forced induction for the redline and the cobalt.
Dodge did the whole huge engine with the SRT-10 truck but it is barely faster than the smaller supercharged Lightning. The lightning being cheaper also.
There will end up being S/C Camaro's and T/A's in the next few years rolling out of the factory.

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
mm_omega2 said:
There will end up being S/C Camaro's and T/A's in the next few years rolling out of the factory.
Hate to say it but wrong about one thing....

Even though there is some talk of a Camaro returning in 07!! WOOHOO!!! :D

A direct quote from Bob Lutz (I think he is the one that said it, if it wasnt him then its some other bigtime GM suit):

"Firebird's day is gone." :(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts