Cobalts SS banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was heading down a 4 lane road that goes through town, a blue SS pulls out of a shopping center ahead of me and gets on it as I got closer (about 3 car lg behind), so I figure I'll give him a run. I pulled slightly through most of 2nd seemed to even out at the top. I shifted to 3rd to continue my momentum (figured I'd REALLY start to pull now...) but he hit the breaks as soon as I shifted, I just let off and cruise past him (he had caught up to traffic). He jumps in behind me and we pass traffic, but the road goes to 2 lanes at this point. We're stuck behind some traffic so I try to slow down to give us room for another go, but traffic slows down with us (looked like someone was trying to make a turn but wasn't sure where to go?).

I flash the turn signal quickly to see if he'll follow me down another road, he does... I'm thinking "Ok now we can finally have a clean run", I reach a stop sign and proceed slowly waiting for his turn to go... but he just sits there, flashing his headlights. I continue slowly, watching him... then his 4 ways come on and traffic behind him begins to go out around. Figuring he's out of gas, or needs help of some kind I turn around and head back.

"Something wrong witht the car?" I ask. "Yeah... I'm hainvg a sensor problem..." I offer to help, but he says he lives right around the corner, and had two friends with him so they get out to push it... I was kinda bumed, I really wanted to run him.

I'm thinking he had some work done becuase, I have Stage-1 and was alone... he kept up really well in 2nd, and had 2 passengers, plus this sensor trouble? Then again, I had JUST put my battery back in (wife left the interior lights on) and was running around to see what kind of boost I was getting (computer need to re-learn junk). What do you guys think, any mods known to cause sensor issues that basically shut the car down like that? My car just stuck inlimp mode?

If you're on here blue SS guy, I'd like to run you again once you get things sorted out. That was a good run, maybe next time we'll try the highway so we can run side by side? I don't like to do the single file racing thing much.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I've seen this happen before, but not on my car. Guy could have had a CAI that threw a CEL and put his car into limp mode.

·
Registered
478 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
This has happened to me before. I was trying to race an eclipse and was downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. all of a sudden the car jerked baddly and the tach drops down to zero even though the engine was still running. i pulled into a burgerking parking lot and as soon as i stopped the engine died totally. I had to wait about 5 minutes before i could start it up again. I hope someone on here knows what the problem is cause i would really like to get it fixed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Us SRT-4 owners will come up with some creative sh*t to explain losing a race.:D
LOL no excuses, this is how it happend. if you're refering to the battery thing... I'm not sure how long it takes, but I know when you unhook the battery the car doesn't run quite right for a while.

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145323&highlight=reset+ecu

Here's the Autozone battery charge ticket... didn't have time to stick it in until sat night (Christmas shopping & finishing my basement, need pics of that too?)

http://www.gcsrts.com/srts-admin/pictures/SP_A0100.jpg

Or were you saying he got creative with the whole "my car doesn't work" thing to avoid having to race me again?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This has happened to me before. I was trying to race an eclipse and was downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. all of a sudden the car jerked baddly and the tach drops down to zero even though the engine was still running. i pulled into a burgerking parking lot and as soon as i stopped the engine died totally. I had to wait about 5 minutes before i could start it up again. I hope someone on here knows what the problem is cause i would really like to get it fixed.
Stock? If so that's f'd up... GM needs to get on that.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I've seen this happen before, but not on my car. Guy could have had a CAI that threw a CEL and put his car into limp mode.
Ive never had a cel come on in my car as of yet. (knock on wood) But, I do have a cold air intake and also have to let the car warm up a little bit or it will face plant when I take off and shift into 2nd.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Ive never had a cel come on in my car as of yet. (knock on wood) But, I do have a cold air intake and also have to let the car warm up a little bit or it will face plant when I take off and shift into 2nd.
the no cel with a CAI is good luck...i havent gotten one on my car eather.

my guess as to why your car "face plants" if you dont let it worm up are two reasons.

1)our PCV system doesnt bleed boost and deal with possible crankcase pressure worth a dam if our coolant is below 100F....it responds far to slow but with heat it speeds up.

2) when the car reads a AIT2 of under 55deg it runs much richer becase it thinks that your post SC boosted air is that cold and must dump fuel accordingly(sp?)....once the car, sc and AIT's have worm'ed up your AIT2 will be over the majic 55deg mark and the car will lean it self out just a tad.

as for the gauge issue's it is due to a fault and glitch in our stock ECM programs.

the stage flash's and any other aftermarket tune will update the car's ECM operating system that fix's that issue AND it also take osme of the horrible lag out of our gauge's

the tach in a stock car can be as far off as 400RPM...normaly in the low 100's .....the new OS does a much better job....but its still off by as much as 150-200rev's

·
Registered
478 Posts
My friend has a ss/sc and he told me his went into limp mode once when he bounced off the rev limiter.
thats normaly caused by the car seeing a very lean state from him hitting the rev limiter....that throws a po171 code(i beleve thats the rite number) wich is a lean code.

·
Registered
283 Posts
See the thing about this Cobalt SS is that maybe the guy just started his car up and when I do and take off my car is slow it takes awhile to warm up the SS no joke is a Chevy lol. That the only thing I can thing of?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
well after i did the stage 2 upgrade, i had an incident where i got to a stop light, once it turned green i go to take off & it just putted across the intersection as it wanted to turn off. luckily i was close enough to my work (GM) to where i putted back & reflashed it & it went away. scared me at first, then it did it again about a month later. so i had my general manager get ahold of tech engineering to see if they had that issue before. it turned out to be a reflash error that had been made. so they are still trying to create a proper reflash. this is why GM is not approving the stage 2 kit for 07 until it is resolved. luckily its been about 4 months & my car hasn't done it since.

·
Registered
102 Posts
limp mode?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
well after i did the stage 2 upgrade, i had an incident where i got to a stop light, once it turned green i go to take off & it just putted across the intersection as it wanted to turn off. luckily i was close enough to my work (GM) to where i putted back & reflashed it & it went away. scared me at first, then it did it again about a month later. so i had my general manager get ahold of tech engineering to see if they had that issue before. it turned out to be a reflash error that had been made. so they are still trying to create a proper reflash. this is why GM is not approving the stage 2 kit for 07 until it is resolved. luckily its been about 4 months & my car hasn't done it since.
if you get the stage 2 kit pcm upgrade done at the dealer, if it needs a reflash will they do it under the 1 year warranty of the kit,
in other words for free!!!!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I'm the same as you. I've never had it happen to me. I was starting to thing it was just folklore until I was cruising with a LT that had CAI (forget what make) on our way to take some pics for an upcoming calendar and he turn into Apollo Burger (a local place). I thought he was hungry and wanted food. I got out and told me that he just went into limp mode. Fortunately, I had my tools. We disconnected his battery, went inside and had lunch, came out, reconnected battery. Everything was fine then.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well I sappose it is possible he was stock, and just got a redline CEL... but we drove about 3 or 4 miles after that little 2nd gear pull before turning off onto a less traveled road. His car just died when it stopped??? He seemed to know exactly what was wrong.

The two main reasons I thought he may have some basic bolt-ons is because like I said I have Stage-1, he had two passengers and I bearly pulled, and the fact that he's throwing cods... However he did get a head start because I didn't go until I noticed he was pulling, at which point I down shifted into 2nd (which put me at about 4500rpm... not the best spot to build boost) I was only seeing 10psi, which I first attributed to it being colder outside (about 50 degrees), and at higher rpms boost tapers off. The thing is, I had litterally JUST put the battery back in, and as in most newer cars it takes a little for the SRT-4's PCM to re-calibrate after a re-set like taking out the battery.

It smelled like gas really badly when I started it up, it back-fired like crazy, idled like shit, and felt kinda sluggish pretty much all week. It's been kinda rainy and foggy for the past few days so I didn't really get a chance to thrash it... Finally last night the roads were dry and I gave her a good beating.

After my temps were up I put my foot in it and was again only spiking to 10psi, fallin to 8psi by redline, 3rd was 12psi falling to 10. I started thinking "boost leak" but kept trying and eventually got 15psi in 2nd (never recall that much in 2nd before, should have re-set the PCM more often :D ) and am now getting 15psi falling to 13 by redline. It idles nicely, doen't stink when I start it, and boost comes on fast and strong like before. The possiblity of him being pretty stock is starting to seem more likely... I just think my car wasn't quite ready to go.

PLUS, like I've always said... the 'balt seems to match the SRT's pull in the upper rpms and that's pretty much all that "race" wa., I figured stage-1 would help me pull against a stock 'balt but maybe he has a few added hp too? Either way I was impressed, I'd still like to get in a clean run w/ one some time (no traffic, side by side, start at the same time).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts