Cobalts SS banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
It will probably fit, but here are the suggestions.

1: To achieve higher performance gain, do not reinstall the lower cover of the airbox.

2: Since the filter will not be holded anymore by the cover, you must hold the filter with a collar. To properly tighten the collar's screw, you will probably have to make a litlle hole in your airbox to get your screwdriver aligned with.

3: Be sure that there is not too much oil on your new filter, since the MAF will get oiled and your PCM will throw you a code.

4: Reset the PCM (by disconnecting the negative pole of the battery (which is located in the trunk) within a couple of minutes) then let the car idle for about 5 minutes. This must be done immediatly after the new filter being installed.

Have a nice day !

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
jmc007 said:
It will probably fit, but here are the suggestions.

1: To achieve higher performance gain, do not reinstall the lower cover of the airbox.

2: Since the filter will not be holded anymore by the cover, you must hold the filter with a collar. To properly tighten the collar's screw, you will probably have to make a litlle hole in your airbox to get your screwdriver aligned with.

3: Be sure that there is not too much oil on your new filter, since the MAF will get oiled and your PCM will throw you a code.

4: Reset the PCM (by disconnecting the negative pole of the battery (which is located in the trunk) within a couple of minutes) then let the car idle for about 5 minutes. This must be done immediatly after the new filter being installed.

Have a nice day !
1. not installing the cover probably doesn't offer that much of a performance gain... but it is louder.

2. since the filter will not be held in place by the cap, you'll have to use the provided clamp with your filter, and you will have to drill a hole in the side of the airbox to tighten said clamp.

3. i haven't heard of "filter oil" causing a problem with the MAF, as far as i know that is inaccurate. the oil on the filter simply helps clean incoming air of small debris. the k&n filter i installed on my ss has given me no problems whatsoever.

4. it is not necessary to unconnect the batter, doing so doesn't do much. the pcm should automatically adjust for the increased airflow after driving with it for a while. a lot of people will tell you that you have to reset the pcm for that to happen, but it should just do it on its own. and you DEFINATELY wouldn't have to do that right after putting in the new filter. it wouldn't matter when you did it, if you decide to even bother.

·
Registered
261 Posts
iso said:
1. not installing the cover probably doesn't offer that much of a performance gain... but it is louder.

2. since the filter will not be held in place by the cap, you'll have to use the provided clamp with your filter, and you will have to drill a hole in the side of the airbox to tighten said clamp.

3. i haven't heard of "filter oil" causing a problem with the MAF, as far as i know that is inaccurate. the oil on the filter simply helps clean incoming air of small debris. the k&n filter i installed on my ss has given me no problems whatsoever.

4. it is not necessary to unconnect the batter, doing so doesn't do much. the pcm should automatically adjust for the increased airflow after driving with it for a while. a lot of people will tell you that you have to reset the pcm for that to happen, but it should just do it on its own. and you DEFINATELY wouldn't have to do that right after putting in the new filter. it wouldn't matter when you did it, if you decide to even bother.

Removal of the lower part of the airbox apparently makes the blower scream. I've heard it but didn't do it myself.

If the filter is overoiled from the factory (which many are) it will make the MAF crazy and has on a number of Red Lines.

I always disconnect the neg. battery terminal when changing the intake or properties of an engine. If you don't, the PCM will adjust, but it will take longer. It can't possibly hurt anything.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But the thing is... is if its a drop-in replacement, why would it require modification to the stock air box.

If our current filter in a cylinder and not a cone and the redline filter is identical in shape and size to our stock filter...

I don't see why would would have to chop anything up.

-Rich

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
dazednconfused75 said:
Removal of the lower part of the airbox apparently makes the blower scream. I've heard it but didn't do it myself.

If the filter is overoiled from the factory (which many are) it will make the MAF crazy and has on a number of Red Lines.

I always disconnect the neg. battery terminal when changing the intake or properties of an engine. If you don't, the PCM will adjust, but it will take longer. It can't possibly hurt anything.

yes, as i said, removing the cap makes the car louder, however it wouldn't off much of a performance gain. i'd say <1 hp if any at all. i took the cap off and started the car, revved it and it was noticably louder. i then installed the k&n filter, revved it and the car was even louder.

i highly doubt a high end filter (such as k&n) would be "over-oiled" from the factory. i did absolutely nothing to the k&n i got and it works just fine. from what i've read, it's not the oil on the filter causing the MAF to throw codes, it's the increased airflow throwing a "system too lean bank". the ecm should sort this out on it's own if it does happen.

how does disconnecting the neg terminal cause the ecm to remap the fuel/air ratio faster? as soon as you plugged the cable back in it would just load the stock factory map. the only way to get it to compensate for the increased airflow is to drive it. but jmc said that it HAD to be done direclty after installing the filter, which is completely nonsensical. you would be able to do it at any time, but i don't even see why one should bother with it. the pcm will remap the air/fuel on it's own.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
astrocrep said:
But the thing is... is if its a drop-in replacement, why would it require modification to the stock air box.

If our current filter in a cylinder and not a cone and the redline filter is identical in shape and size to our stock filter...

I don't see why would would have to chop anything up.

-Rich
the only modification required is drilling a small hole in the airbox to get a screwdriver in to tighten the clamp on the neck of the filter. no big deal. some people are cutting the airbox off the tube completely.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
iso said:
yes, as i said, removing the cap makes the car louder, however it wouldn't off much of a performance gain. i'd say <1 hp if any at all. i took the cap off and started the car, revved it and it was noticably louder.

did you try driving it without the bottom on? it makes a huge difference. i did it both ways and then left the bottom off after the drive. the way that airbox is made with that semi-snorkel, when you hit the gas it sucks the air right out of that box and it takes it a split second to fill up from that little ass hole the air comes through.

same principle with a cold air box. when i had a cab on my cougar, and you floored it, you could hear the air dump out and then then everything would get going. when i took it off and just ran the gmk cai there was absolutely no hesitation.

with the bottom of the box off, you don't have to worry about starving the engine for that split second because it's not all enclosed like when the airbox is breathing through the snorkel.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
i drove it around without a filter and didn't feel a difference. driving with the cap off sure didn't give me a noticeable power gain, and even putting the k&n filter didn't do anything that was noticeable. anyone who says that installing a CAI will give you a really noticeable result, is either talking about the way it sounds, talking out of their ass, or is really good at telling the difference between 5hp.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
selfinfliction said:
did you try driving it without the bottom on? it makes a huge difference. i did it both ways and then left the bottom off after the drive. the way that airbox is made with that semi-snorkel, when you hit the gas it sucks the air right out of that box and it takes it a split second to fill up from that little ass hole the air comes through.

same principle with a cold air box. when i had a cab on my cougar, and you floored it, you could hear the air dump out and then then everything would get going. when i took it off and just ran the gmk cai there was absolutely no hesitation.

with the bottom of the box off, you don't have to worry about starving the engine for that split second because it's not all enclosed like when the airbox is breathing through the snorkel.
and what do you mean the box has to "fill up"? there's ALWAYS air in the box, so i don't see how the box would have to fill up. the engine isn't gonna suck the air in so fast that there's a vacuum in the air box.. especially not anywhere near a second. the engine is working a little harder to pull air through the snorkel of the airbox, but simply removing the cap isn't going to give a productive power gain.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
if you see this picture:

do you think the car will breathe easier when air is coming in the black part, or through the red part? simple physics on that one.

for starving the engine, say if you hit the gas at over 3000 rpm, the sc jumps from maybe 150~cfm to 460~cfm ( i think that's max for the m62) near instantly, and you have just sucked every bit of air out of that box in the blink of a second and now it is harder for it to suck air thoguh that little hole than it is to suck it from an open area.

think of it this way. is it easier for you to breathe normally, or when you try to breathe through a straw.

and of course it doesn't take a second, i figured common sense would tell people that.

if anyone wants i can autograph that masterpiece of a diagram so you can sell it on ebay for jillions of dollars :D

·
Registered
193 Posts
selfinfliction said:
but hey... leave yours on.. i'll leave mine off cuase i know myself it makes a difference :D

the box it self is so restrictive, taking off the cover will pay off in engine responce alone, I agree Its definatly worth it.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
i have the cap off cuz the filter i installed was longer than the stocky... i'm just saying that removing the cap, and not replacing the restricive paper filter is a waste of time. your gonna see what a 1-2 hp gain by removing the cap... whoopdie effing doo.

·
Registered
193 Posts
iso said:
i have the cap off cuz the filter i installed was longer than the stocky... i'm just saying that removing the cap, and not replacing the restricive paper filter is a waste of time. your gonna see what a 1-2 hp gain by removing the cap... whoopdie effing doo.

but the gain in throttle response is the main benefit of leaving it off

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
c7015 said:
but the gain in throttle response is the main benefit of leaving it off
unlesss you've hooked your car up to an accurate machine to measure throttle response, then i'll believe you. i didn't notice a difference in throttle response, notice how i said "notice". that doesn't mean there isn't a gain, but if it's <.5 sec (which it probably is) your not gonna feel it. if you want to get an improvement then swap the stock air filter along with removing the cap. JUST removing the cap doesn't pose a great performance gain.

·
Registered
193 Posts
iso said:
unlesss you've hooked your car up to an accurate machine to measure throttle response, then i'll believe you. i didn't notice a difference in throttle response, notice how i said "notice". that doesn't mean there isn't a gain, but if it's <.5 sec (which it probably is) your not gonna feel it. if you want to get an improvement then swap the stock air filter along with removing the cap. JUST removing the cap doesn't pose a great performance gain.

I dont need an acurate machine because I am not concerned with the exact time that the response has improved ..but the change is very evident weather the results in HP are there or not. This is the case with most heavily snorkeled vehicles

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
so your going to tell me that half a second is "evident"? to who? and that half a second is being very liberal. if i were to guess, i'd say two tenths of a second. i can't feel that difference. like i said, i replaced the stock filter and i have the cap off and i don't feel a difference, though i hear one.

·
Registered
193 Posts
no I am going to tell you that the overall feel of the engine is more responsive most people will be able to feel the change...if it didnt happen for you thats too bad ...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts