Cobalts SS banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, Ive been getting info off this forum since it started but this is my first time posting anything. So Im cruizing down the street when I see a black Cobalt SS up ahead. I manuvered my way up next to him and looked over. As soon as he say me I heared him down shift so I did the same. We were even through second and I pulled though third and the begining of forth untill his front bumper was even with my rear. Then I shut down. We ended up next to eachother at a light so I asked if he was stock and he said yes. I told him my mods (intake, exhaust, pulley) but the guy seemed kinda pissed I walk him. After manuvering though some more trafic we went again from a 50 mph roll with the same results. All and all, I like the SS. Car looks good and needless to say, I like the power plant.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Doesnt anyone race from a dig these days? Whats with all these races from a roll?

Anyway, sounds like you had fun either way.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
ozrein said:
Doesnt anyone race from a dig these days? Whats with all these races from a roll?

Anyway, sounds like you had fun either way.
They all think they are in Japan or Germany. And they all hope to one day race in the Professional Roll Race Series (P.R.R.S.) :D Seriously, I don't get it either.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Racing from a roll puts a lot less stress on the car and doesn't draw nearly as much unwanted attention as two cars laying rubber from a traffic light.

·
Registered
81 Posts
dazednconfused75 said:
Racing from a roll puts a lot less stress on the car and doesn't draw nearly as much unwanted attention as two cars laying rubber from a traffic light.
He's got a good point there. Anyways what if people see a car they want to have a quick pull against they should flag the car down so that an "official" race can than be started from a dig? All so that when they tell the story on there car forum people won't bitch about the scenario. I'm not to found of people who concider themselves fast when all they do is roll races but can't get there car moving from a dig, but theres nothing wrong with a roll race here and there. To tell the truth when you think about it you'll more likely get a race from a roll then find a car to race at a red light from a dig.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
dazednconfused75 said:

exactly. and anyone that says racing from a roll is stupid, doesn't have that much experience on the track breaking axles, blowing motors, ripping transmissions apart etc.

besides our tires are about $200 each. why would i want to eat through them in 5000 miles?

·
Registered
74 Posts
nothing wrong with roll racing

its a great way to see which car has more power, as driver is not nearly as big a factor

now, using the "if we were rolling" excuse is pretty gay

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I personally hate racing from a roll but there was to much trafic for us to line up at a light. Ive been wanting to run into a SS anyways so I was happy just to see one on the road, let alone get to race him from a roll. Id rather get one on a track or even a light but... thats how it goes some times.

·
Registered
115 Posts
selfinfliction said:
exactly. and anyone that says racing from a roll is stupid, doesn't have that much experience on the track breaking axles, blowing motors, ripping transmissions apart etc.

besides our tires are about $200 each. why would i want to eat through them in 5000 miles?
There's a difference between "roll racing" and racing on the track. On a track, it's different. Accelerating out of a turn from a roll on a track (which is the only time other than the start where this matters) is different than doing a drag race starting at 40mph on a highway. First off, street racing is stupid. I'm not gonna go preaching about how you shouldn't street race, because some people just can't afford to go to a track. But roll races on the highway are stupid. It's not racing, it's a show-off. Who's car is more powerful. That's all it is. If what you're looking for is simply power, go do some research. You'll get your answer. Racing is a driver's contest. Who is the better driver. I want to know that I'm a better/faster driver-car combo than someone else. If you're going to do a straight line race, it should be from a dig, where driver skill is required. If someone doesn't have much skill as a driver, and they're roll racing their car up to 140mph, all kinds of hell can break loose. My mom doesn't have very much driver skill. She can't take a car over 65 and maintain safe consistent control of the car. She never could. Ok, bad example. A few people I used to hang out with lacked driver skill. All of them got in at least one major accident. One almost rolled her car because she was busy trying to beat a Mazda, another friend lost control of his car at 90 and lost a leg. Driver error was to blame. My point is that racing is for the drivers, not the cars. Am I going to change your mind about racing? Probably not. Are you going to change mine? Probably not. But we both know where each other is coming from.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
XxGarbSxX said:
There's a difference between "roll racing" and racing on the track. On a track, it's different. Accelerating out of a turn from a roll on a track (which is the only time other than the start where this matters) is different than doing a drag race starting at 40mph on a highway. First off, street racing is stupid. I'm not gonna go preaching about how you shouldn't street race, because some people just can't afford to go to a track. But roll races on the highway are stupid. It's not racing, it's a show-off. Who's car is more powerful. That's all it is. If what you're looking for is simply power, go do some research. You'll get your answer. Racing is a driver's contest. Who is the better driver. I want to know that I'm a better/faster driver-car combo than someone else. If you're going to do a straight line race, it should be from a dig, where driver skill is required. If someone doesn't have much skill as a driver, and they're roll racing their car up to 140mph, all kinds of hell can break loose. My mom doesn't have very much driver skill. She can't take a car over 65 and maintain safe consistent control of the car. She never could. Ok, bad example. A few people I used to hang out with lacked driver skill. All of them got in at least one major accident. One almost rolled her car because she was busy trying to beat a Mazda, another friend lost control of his car at 90 and lost a leg. Driver error was to blame. My point is that racing is for the drivers, not the cars. Am I going to change your mind about racing? Probably not. Are you going to change mine? Probably not. But we both know where each other is coming from.
OMG OMG OMG :eek: :eek: .

We agree on something. Except the part that I put in bold , drag racing is from a dig.

Don't think I am getting soft either Smith. :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
(In Smith's slow voice...)Well well well, Mr. Anderson. We are in total complete 100% agreement. I guess I mis-used the term "drag race". I simply used that term to mean a straight-line race.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
XxGarbSxX said:
(In Smith's slow voice...)Well well well, Mr. Anderson. We are in total complete 100% agreement. I guess I mis-used the term "drag race". I simply used that term to mean a straight-line race.
Like dude, it's like okay. Lets go surf or fight or something. Dude, okay.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
XxGarbSxX said:
Mr. Anderson. I see two paths in front of you... Somehow I get the feeling this is going to be an ongoing joke for a while.
You started it. :p

·
Registered
179 Posts
Garbs, I almost completely dis-agree with you about roll racing, and racing the driver not the car.

Sometimes people just wanna see cars race cars, without someone being able to bitch that they spun tire, or bogged their launch, ruining an accurate display of how fast the car really is vs the next car.

I would agree, if someone was talking shit, being a dick and wanted to race for bragging rights and/or money, race from a dig, especially if it works to your advantage.

When you only race vs the driver (like you said racing is), you get people that come on here and claim to beat LS1 Camaros, saying a win is a win, even if the driver missed 3 gears and almost popped his tires launching his car. And you know those kinda stories exist, and get very annoying.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Yea, roll racing is what kind of power your car "truly" has, since it doens't have as much to do with the driver as from a dig. Besides, you don't hear as many "BS" and "I missed a gear' or "man, I spun out too much" excuses, like you hear from dig races.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Mr. SHO driver, I completely understand what you're saying. And the people that say they beat an LS1 Camaro when the driver missed a gear are called one of two thing: "idiot" and "ricer". They didn't beat the car, they beat the driver. And if people want to see cars race cars, that's all their seeing anyway. They don't care about the drivers. That's why people attend professional events and street races. Because they simply want to watch. What's more exciting? Watching a car accellerate to 140 from 40 on a highway or watching a car accellerate to 140 from 0 on a strip? Don't get me wrong, roll "races" are a good way to determine how the cars match up against each other, but it's not racing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts