Cobalts SS banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i didnt like the way the factory ss spoiler looked and it blocked the veiw something bad. then i talked to a friend with a stang and he told me when he removed his for racing it gave him .1 second in a 1/4. so i thought that must be worth at least one mpg. i removed mine a couple of weeks ago and put it to the test this weekend. the car was bone stock other then removing the spoiler. the before mpg across hwy 40 between nashville and knoxville was a personal best of 27.7, with out the spoiler i averaged 29.7 at 80-90 mph. so who wants to be brave and try removing the mirrors and seeing what they get.

jim

·
Registered
360 Posts
I swapped the wing on my SRT-4 for an SXT wing and gained a total of....nothing.
Damn car drinks fuel like it was going out of style.
Just how much does the stock CSS/SC wing WEIGH anyway? Slap that sucker on a scale!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
weight?

its not the weight, its more like having a 2x12 on edge. the car still has to pull it through the air, remember that spoiler is for looks so the car sales, not gas mileage. and it weighsabout 10lbs

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have thought long and hard about that wing. I just can not see out the damn mirror at all. I just need a good looking aftermarket wing to go on just alot smaller.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Took it off, welded up the holes and almost hit 40 mpg for half a tank. Albeit i was doing all highway at 60-65. Looks x10 better IMO too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
that's my only gripe about the ss. the spoiler. i did a few chops of it without. and its much cleaner looking. i would like to take delivery of one without the spoiler, i was told i could order it through gm just about any way i want it, even custom colors, but i dont know how well that works now a days.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
sdunkf said:
the before mpg across hwy 40 between nashville and knoxville was a personal best of 27.7, with out the spoiler i averaged 29.7 at 80-90 mph. so who wants to be brave and try removing the mirrors and seeing what they get.

jim

you know that is just simply retarded. you are the reason people get flamed so badly in car forums. maybe it was the gas, maybe it was the fact that you went up more inclines one way, and less the other, maybe it was the temp of the air, maybe you pssed one or two more vehicles going one way or the other... why don't YOU remove your mirrors and let us know how it works out?

how do you know the wing cause XXX amount of drag which reduces mpg by XXX without having wind tunnel testing?

maybe by lowering my car i can get a +4mpg difference lol

ah jeez man, now you got me all worked up for nothing

thanks for the chuckle though

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
evilcobaltSS said:
I have thought long and hard about that wing. I just can not see out the damn mirror at all. I just need a good looking aftermarket wing to go on just alot smaller.

yeah for looks a rally style wing would be much better IMO, but it needs to be supplemented with a drop and possibly a replacement rear valance.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
does anyone have any pics of the ss without the wing, i try picturing it in my mind and i just cant see it

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
ummm nice photoshopping, i guess....
but yeah it does look pretty good, but i still dunno if id wanna take mine off

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
CobaltDude81 said:
Anyone looking to sell their SS wing? Preferably someone with a sunburst metallic.

uhoh, sounds like we are going to have an "ss by design" just like the poor srt guys have from immatation neons.

oh well, i can't wait to see what a base model cobalt with 16" rims looks like with ss badges and a wing lmao :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts