Cobalts SS banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i was just wondering if i just simply remove the bottom cover of the air box and secure the stock filter in there will i notice any increase in power or supercharger whine

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
you'll notice that your supercharger is louder but you won't notice an increase in power.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how much louder? any clips?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Well to get an increase in power you will need a high flow filter. I have this done and it is considerably louder. You can hear your SC whine throughout 2nd and 3rd and some into 4th. I received the power gains but like i said I am using a k&n filter. It is pretty loud but not annoyingly so.......

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im just wanting to leave in the stock filter though and am wondering how loud it will be, because thats just a lot of work to find out that i cant hear a difference

·
Registered
729 Posts
1stBluSS said:
Well to get an increase in power you will need a high flow filter. I have this done and it is considerably louder. You can hear your SC whine throughout 2nd and 3rd and some into 4th. I received the power gains but like i said I am using a k&n filter. It is pretty loud but not annoyingly so.......
SO the super charge wine diminishes after 110mph when your into fouth and starting to approach the 30 degree bank of Daytona. it is drowned out by the forces of air creating noise around the car just before breaking the sound barrier and from all the peeling paint off the car. as the car ECOTEC engine approaches 8500 RPM and you just about to grab 5th gear to get Jeff Gordon and Mark Martin off your tail the ECOTEC engine throws a rod due to the cast piston in #3 cylinder disintegrates from the forces of the EATON pressure. then I woke up ...yes it was a wet dream .... again....

did I get carried away?

·
Registered
671 Posts
^^^^ I have no idea what you were rambling on about.

As for doing all of that work for the airbox mod. Well it takes about 15 mins to do it correctly so....... it is not a lot of work at all. You will be greatly benefited by purchasing a high flow cylindrical filter and then take the bottom off. Too me there would not be much reason to take the bottom off and leave the stock filter in. I am sure your SC will whine but why would you want all show and no go ? I can go back to completely stock in 15 mins with the way I did mine so it works out pretty good.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
black06sssc said:
im just wanting to leave in the stock filter though and am wondering how loud it will be, because thats just a lot of work to find out that i cant hear a difference
your going to notcie a big difference in sound if you take the cover off., you aren't going to notcie any increase in power though. also, you'll have to find a way to secure the stock filter, using some sort of straps and screws into the airbox. if you get a hi flow filter, most come with clamps and then you just drill one hole in the side of the airbox for a screwdriver to tighten it and your good. and if you ever need to go back to stock, just put the filter and cover back in, and if you drill the hole in the airbox on a part that you can't see, no one will ever notice.

·
Registered
120 Posts
here's the link on .net forums on the how to
http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3890

Ok... I check out that post.....1 question.

When I 1st bought the SS, I was thinking to myself... "where the $#%^% is the aibox/filter??!?!?

So this answers that one, but raises another.... Is that what we have to go thru just to change the air filter?? even if we're just planning on leaving the car stock??? If so, I want to meet a few of the "geniuses" that designed the car and thank them with a nice big cup of Whoop-axx! :rolleyes:

How insane is that? Maybe it's in the best spot due to packaging, performance, etc... but make it a bit easier for us to change out the filters even if it's a stock swap.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
yea, it's a great place for the filter cuz it's far away from heat and it gets massive arflow through the opening in the front bumper. but it is a bitch to have to take off the wheel and the liner and then get under the car just to change/replace the filter.

·
Registered
120 Posts
iso said:
yea, it's a great place for the filter cuz it's far away from heat and it gets massive arflow through the opening in the front bumper. but it is a bitch to have to take off the wheel and the liner and then get under the car just to change/replace the filter.

Yeah, I can see what you mean about the colder air and all, but man, that's annoying.

Oh well, gives me something to do.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
if the filter wasn't there to begin with, all of the cai's out for the car would still put the filter right where the stock one is now. it's the optimal place for performace reasons, but i hear you on it being a bitch. i have a k&n high flow filter on my stock air tubing, and it's a real bitch to go through all that to clean and re oil it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
just a question.. im here on this forum for my g/f cuz shes the owner of the SS/SC.. been given permission to toy with her car hehe.. so.. u guys are talking about the airbox and remvoving the cover.. i assume the top cover u are talking about.. however.. is there a resonator below the filter itself? i have an 04 mazda 3 and i removed a giant hunk of plastic below my air filter.. no hp gain but gave deeper exhaust sound..

·
Registered
729 Posts
DriverSS said:
just a question.. im here on this forum for my g/f cuz shes the owner of the SS/SC.. been given permission to toy with her car hehe.. so.. u guys are talking about the airbox and remvoving the cover.. i assume the top cover u are talking about.. however.. is there a resonator below the filter itself? i have an 04 mazda 3 and i removed a giant hunk of plastic below my air filter.. no hp gain but gave deeper exhaust sound..
Your question is confusing. have you looked at the car yet? the air box is in the fender. to get to it you have to remove the drivers front tire remove the inner liner to expose the box. the cover to the box is on the bottom. hope that helps.

·
Registered
135 Posts
i didnt have to remove the tire to take my stock air box out or put in my k&n cai

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
quicksilver said:
i didnt have to remove the tire to take my stock air box out or put in my k&n cai
did you remove the bumper then, cuz there is no way you pulled that big ass airbox out through that little hole.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts