Cobalts SS banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
judging from these pics I took, How should I go about repairing these? I have GM Victory Red lacquer touch up paint. Should either of these be primed or will just the paint do good? First pic is the rear fascia on the side near turn signal, second is passenger door(end of it)

Attachments

·
Registered
498 Posts
Good question. I wanna know too. Is it just as easy as "paint it on" or what?

·
Registered
125 Posts
jus put it on there, no mater what you do to it, the touch up paint will eventually come off, then you do it again..lol.. the only other way around it is to paint the whole panel, which IMO is not worth it for such a small scratch

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had a scratch like the one in your second picture on my black SS and i just put some touch up paint on it. It looks great and you can't even tell I touched it up.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I used the GM red touch up paint on my car and it looks horrible. goes on chunky. make sure you use a toothpick to put the paint on then use that to fill in the little dents. I used the brush that came with it :(

·
Registered
251 Posts
JamesBrown said:
I used the GM red touch up paint on my car and it looks horrible. goes on chunky. make sure you use a toothpick to put the paint on then use that to fill in the little dents. I used the brush that came with it :(
Ya definitely don't use the brush that came with it. That would work well for larger areas and then you cold spread it and smooth it with other tools...but on a chip that small it's going to chunk up and eventually fall off. You might also want to look into very fine tipped brushes at an art store...those would work well also :).

Permafried-

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JamesBrown said:
Too late...I used the brush :mad: it is chunky. looked better when it was chipped. How can I go about fixing this thick chunky shit now? Sand it or so? Whats the best tool to use after I sand? What grit paper or would sand paper create a worse problem?

·
Registered
251 Posts
dervin3 said:
Too late...I used the brush :mad: it is chunky. looked better when it was chipped. How can I go about fixing this thick chunky shit now? Sand it or so? Whats the best tool to use after I sand? What grit paper or would sand paper create a worse problem?
I'd be worried about sanding it too far down if your primer hasn't been chipped to this point. If you're still not seeing raw steel, it should be possible to SAFELY chip it away but I don't want to recommend anything, you're in a tricky spot. If you go through that primer you're pretty much screwed...even touch-up paint won't stop that from rusting. At this point you may be better off paying a body shop to remove the touch-up paint, sand it and re-apply it...just my 2 cents worth though :).

Permafried-

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
dervin3 said:
Do not sand it, you will make it worse. Try maybe a nail file if it is absolutely unbearable.

ALSO FOR EVERYONE. For somewhat good sized chips use a matchstick. For really, really small chips use a toothpick. Take your time, do not rush. Just dab and let dry, dab and let dry. Also make sure you wash and dry the area really well before starting. And shake the paint up really well.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Now that scratch is the least of my worries.... :(
Bottom valance completely torn off, front fascia may also need replaced and radiator is shot. I hit a tractor trailer tire and I started freaking out, super pissed. I was like ok I have an exit coming up I'll get off there and check it out but the LOW COOLANT warning is displayed and I flip to the coolant temp and it 212 So I jerk it off the road and shut it off. Get out just to look at the images you see.... :mad: with a huge ass antifreeze puddle pouring out. I have to wait till monday for the estimate. Thank God for full coverage insurance. I got it towed right to the garage bay doors ready for them first thing monday morning. I THINK just the damage is to the front fascia and radiator but I could be wrong. I ran over a huge tire and as far as I could tell everything was fine cept for the front. Rear had antifreeze all over it....could that hurt the paint btw?! UGHHH what a damn day :(

Attachments

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
dervin3 said:
Now that scratch is the least of my worries.... :(
Bottom valance completely torn off, front fascia may also need replaced and radiator is shot. I hit a tractor trailer tire and I started freaking out, super pissed. I was like ok I have an exit coming up I'll get off there and check it out but the LOW COOLANT warning is displayed and I flip to the coolant temp and it 212 So I jerk it off the road and shut it off. Get out just to look at the images you see.... :mad: with a huge ass antifreeze puddle pouring out. I have to wait till monday for the estimate. Thank God for full coverage insurance. I got it towed right to the garage bay doors ready for them first thing monday morning. I THINK just the damage is to the front fascia and radiator but I could be wrong. I ran over a huge tire and as far as I could tell everything was fine cept for the front. Rear had antifreeze all over it....could that hurt the paint btw?! UGHHH what a damn day :(
For that use a whole matchstick book and just dab the touch up paint on nice and thick. It will look fine no one will notice.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Seriously though make sure your exhaust wasn't bent or cracked anywhere and check the inside of your tires and wheels. Also the anti-freeze should be ok on the paint...I'm not for sure, I wouldn't leave it on though. :eek: Also check all your driveshafts and axles and all the belts in your engine bay. Just to make sure there wasn't any damage done to them that could have weakened them and be dangerous later on.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Oh man that sucks...good thing you got 'er off the road when you did though, it's amazing host fast an engine heats up without coolant :(. As for the front and rear fascias, I THINK they cost somewhere in the ballpark of $60 - $80 each, plus paint just to give you an idea of what to expect from those two parts. As for the coolant on the paint, if you still have access to the car you might want to try just wiping as much of it off as you can just to be sure, I'm not exactly sure what's in the stuff but I can't imagine there's any corrosive or thinning agents...but better safe than sorry :).

I would imagine at the shop they'll take a look around in the engine bay as Wasey suggested, if you're "lucky" (ya I know not the best word to use) there won't be any damage outside what you can see but there would be nothing worse than getting it fixed and a belt snaps a week later because it had a slight nick.

Permafried-

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I'm going to completely get it looked over. The car being so low both help and hurt I beleive. I beleive it was so low that the radiator and fascia was damaged but also being so low the tire couldn't have gotten in the engine bay. It was dark so I couldn't see nothing but the front. We'll just have to get the info tomorrow.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I scraped the black plastic airdam, that's perpendicular to the valence, on the pavement on a steep ramp in a parkling lot, I almost had a heart attack, it did no damage though, just made a god awful noise. I can't believe what I would have done if that happend to my car, sorry man :mad:

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here her injured self is...:(
I noticed the intake hole is pointed upwards, the remnants of hurricane Katrina will be here with 2 or 3 days, could rain get in there and damage stuff?

Attachments

·
Registered
543 Posts
dervin3 said:
Here her injured self is...:(
I noticed the intake hole is pointed upwards, the remnants of hurricane Katrina will be here with 2 or 3 days, could rain get in there and damage stuff?
Katrina is up to category 5 so I think plenty of water will be getting everywhere, put trash bags/duct tape on and over any openings cross your fingers and pray everything gets fixed back to normal. A car is never the same after a wreck.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well it wasn't a wreck actually. Just a damaged lower bumper and busted radiator. The front fascia and headlights are the only things removed.

·
Registered
543 Posts
dervin3 said:
Well it wasn't a wreck actually. Just a damaged lower bumper and busted radiator. The front fascia and headlights are the only things removed.
ok that's what I get for half-ass reading a thread. I just saw the last pics of the frontend gone.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mm_omega2 said:
ok that's what I get for half-ass reading a thread. I just saw the last pics of the frontend gone.
LOL thats ok man, I'm just concerned mainly about water getting into the intake tubing. For anyone out there who's gotten to the airbox already, are there ways for water to escape from there or would it just fill up? I'll be really pissed if it fills with water and they go to start it up recharging the radiator :mad:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts