Cobalts SS banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have had a problem with a clicking sound from my right front wheel. i took it to the dealer and they heard the noise. it is a sharp click when pulling out quick but not too fast. and once you stop and go into revers it will click/snap again. also does it when shifting. almost as if when the drive train is going from a load to no load. anyways the dealership went over the whole front end and couldnt find anything. was told to come back if it gets worst. well it is. i let my buddy do it while i listen/watch and the tire moves a good 2 inch back and forth in the wheel well. had it on a lift and checked the a-arm bushins and i went over all the nuts and bolts but i cant find anything... any one have this problem? heard of it? know how to fix it?

·
Registered
64 Posts
2006 Chevrolet Cobalt
Bulletin #: 050232005A
Sequence #: 10017497
Date: 11/01/2005
Component Name: 010000 steering
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Cobalt
Year: 2006
Summary: Ei05093 - clunk in steering system at slow speeds while turning and/or driving over bumps. *tt

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt
Bulletin #: 3687
Sequence #: 10016948
Date: 01/01/1901
Component Name: 020000 suspension
Summary: Clunk noise from front of vehicle during turning maneuver. *sc

·
Registered
441 Posts
BLT2DRP06 said:
i have had a problem with a clicking sound from my right front wheel. i took it to the dealer and they heard the noise. it is a sharp click when pulling out quick but not too fast. and once you stop and go into revers it will click/snap again. also does it when shifting. almost as if when the drive train is going from a load to no load. anyways the dealership went over the whole front end and couldnt find anything. was told to come back if it gets worst. well it is. i let my buddy do it while i listen/watch and the tire moves a good 2 inch back and forth in the wheel well. had it on a lift and checked the a-arm bushins and i went over all the nuts and bolts but i cant find anything... any one have this problem? heard of it? know how to fix it?

No, there is not a bulletin to address this issue. My car does that. I have yet to put it up in the air to look at it, but it has done it for a long time, exactly as you describe, when first moving off or reversing.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Forseti said:
2006 Chevrolet Cobalt
Bulletin #: 050232005A
Sequence #: 10017497
Date: 11/01/2005
Component Name: 010000 steering
Summary: Ei05093 - clunk in steering system at slow speeds while turning and/or driving over bumps. *tt

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt
Bulletin #: 3687
Sequence #: 10016948
Date: 01/01/1901
Component Name: 020000 suspension
Summary: Clunk noise from front of vehicle during turning maneuver. *sc
Both of these issues are more of a popping noise felt when turning or going over bumps, due to normal operation of the electric power steering or to insufficent lubrication in the intermediate shaft, which is a division-wide problem. Not the noise i have.

·
Registered
441 Posts
S8ER95Z said:
Almost sounds like a CV Joint than anything... Hmmm
Yeah, thats what i think, but i have yet to get a chance to look at it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i also thought C-v joint but you cant tell. unless the boot is ripped and thats a dead give-away. but there not. i have "heard" that subaru's had this type of problem and what it was is the splines on the cv shaft having play at the wheel hub but i personaly havent read anything.. and joe if you find it let me know...

·
Registered
29 Posts
if its the cv joint

You should be able to feel it if the wheels are off the ground and turn them sharply one way spin the wheel slowly and feel the drive shaft.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Could it be somthing in the Engine compartment

BLT2DRP06 said:

If its when you load and unload the engine it could be from the engine rocking and what you are hearing is maybe air con hosing or the main motor mount on that side of the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well the sound is almost directly in the center of the wheel. i also looked with the hood open with a buddy driving. thinking it was the engine. but it dont move hardly. i had the wheels up and spinning and it wouldnt click. but like i said the wheel does move back and forth in the wheel well. so i dont know. it almost torq in and forward or reverse depending. and the dealer/ boss said he would hook up the chassie ear's. which they hook up 5-9 clamps on the car and they can listen to each one but i havent had time to get it back there to do so.. and im hoping its something little. i wanted to look into it today but it is raining ahah.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
ya know what. take the rim off and ck the front bearing there... i remeber that i had a car a while back that kept doing that. i ended up wearing out the bearing. 20 dollar part....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i know what you mean on the older cars. but the new ones there is sealed bearings. and i have check for play in the bearing.. dealer also. not trying to be rude just saying. and hub bearings for new cars aint that cheap now days haha =P

·
Registered
441 Posts
When I checked my car the other day while changing the oil, it sounds like the only noise that i can hear is a small click coming from the middle of the differential.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Sorry to bring an old post back, but anyone figure out what this is? Have had it in my car for a while now, several trips to dealerships but no one can figure it out. Frustrating.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Mine does it too. I think it is more profound in the non-G85 cars. It only does it once when taking off and in reverse.

·
Registered
11 Posts
ive got the 07, and it makes the sound from the front only when im backing out. After i start to drive it goes away. I torque my wheels to 100ft lbs after autocrosses.
I hav not put it up in the air tho yet...i prolly will have them look at it after they put my new brakes on

·
Registered
14 Posts
nah bro..its the steering rack...trust me ...ive had the same problem for the past month or so now and idk if im gunna get it fixed bc idk if its still under warranty...my buddy is a mechanic at a chevy dealership and he heard the sound and said it was a 90% chance it was the steering rack...tell the dealership that and see what they say bro....hope it is that...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts