Cobalts SS banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so the deal with getting new tires has fallen through for me now. i'm gonna have to wait a bit and then i'll probably just pick up 2 of the oem pirellis :( oh well. anyway, the reason for this is cuz my front rotors are warped. i'd rather go aftermarket rather than have the dealer cut the rotors so that they can just warp again :rolleyes: so my question is, does any one have any suggestions for aftermarket rotors. i don't want to go drilled yet because of the added wear, but i would like slotted. is anyone running aftermarket rotors that they would recommend, or does anyone know of any reliable ones for the ss. thanks for the help anyone who answers :).

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol, yea they're warped. i have 17,000 miles on the car and i don't beat on it. i downshift to slow down while lightly applying the brakes, and i've only been to one autox event and it was in a parking lot and i only ran once and it was a small course... so it really shouldn't be from that. my brakes have been squeaking since i've had 5k miles on the car (before the auto x event) and i've takin it in once at 5k and once at 10k for the dealer to look at the brakes and they swore nothing was wrong, but apparently they were wrong, cuz now the rotors are warped and they want to charge me friggen 100 bucks to fix it. so, i'm gonna go aftermarket, cuz my dealer aint gettin any more of my money.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Slotted rotors will wear out your brakes just as fast as drilled. Its so fucked up that GM gave such weak brakes to such an otherwise high-performance car. They work great, they just dont last like they should.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Mine went for 20,000 miles plus racing....

I've posted this a few times, but I almost warped my rotors from mis-torquing the caliper guide pins. A few people have told me no, yet two Saturn techs, one of which is probably a GM engineer, but won't disclose it, agreed with me. If no one has had the brakes off the car, then disregard. If it was ever re-done by GM, I'd be suspicious... I know, I've NEVER used a tq wrench on brakes before, but the minute I retorqued everything, all vibrations were gone.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well, as I have stated in my post.. ( SEE Brakes, alignment and misc CRAP )

I have had problems with my rotors since 3 weeks into the car's life.

I have had the front rotors cut 3 times between 4 and 13K miles.
THe rears were cut twice!

Ok... so I just now got back from teh dealer, and @ 20,800 miles they replaced all 4 rotors. Plus they cleaned the pads to make sure they were ok.

Other stuff they did is in that post, so I won't hi-jack this post.

You all ARE NOT ALONE in the issues with brakes.

Don't even get me started about the wheels.

·
Registered
671 Posts
dude dont buy those oem pirrellis those are the biggest rip off ever... get the kumho ecstas.. they have just as good of wet and dry traction and a much better tread wear rating for $90 a tire !

·
Registered
671 Posts
also warping rotors was a problem with the ION redlines so......

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hell....
GM's small cars since the early cavaliers have had rotor issues. I've had 3 of these style cars, and none of them were immune to it.

Annoying isn't it?

I just power thru and make them pay for it as long as it's in warranty, and then suck it up when it isnt.

GM doesn't seem to listen to people and the dealers about it. Now... that's not to say all dealers actaully say soemthing to the higher ups about it, but I'm sure some do.

Going to start looking into a series of mods for the car now.

a little here, and a little there.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i really don't want them to cut the rotors, and they're going to charge me 100 bucks to do it anyway. they will not cover the rotors under my warranty and i've tried reasoning with them. i've had brake problems since 5k miles and they've been reassuring me that nothing was wrong. now, the rotors are warped so i guess that they were wrong about there not being an issue. however, they will not do work on the rotors or roplace them under warranty with no cost to me. so i figure, why bother giving them my money if it's just going to keep occuring? obviously something isn't right if the stock rotors don't even last til 20,000 miles. i have been looking for replacement rotors and all i've been able to find are the cobalt addiction slotted/cross drilled rotors, the powerslot slotted rotors, and the stillen slotted/drilled rotors. out of those i would like the stillen's because i know they're going to be the best quality, but they're 250 for just the fronts. the powerslots i can pick up for 300 for fronts and rears, and i'd rather do all four. i'm not sure in what condition my rear rotors are, but when i back out of my driveway and apply the brakes there is an odd clunking and groaning sond that comes from the rear brakes, so i can't see that as being good. i think i'm just going to get the front/rear powerslots with ebc green stuff pads at all four corners. if anyone has any suggestions otherwise, i would be happy to listen to them.

oh, and 1stblu, i really don't want to get the stock pirelli's again but i can't afford four new tires along with rotors and pads. i might wait on tires til early/mid summer depending on how they hold up until then, and if i can i'm gonna try out the BF-G KDW 2's. i'm also shooting for new rims this summer, so we'll see how that goes. for right now, though, i really need to get this brake situation sorted out.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, i couldn't wait any longer, lol. i just went ahead and ordered the powerslot front and rear rotors and ebc green stuff pads. TTR had a special for the front and rear powerslots for 300 bucks instead of just the frotns for like 200 and the description said it was the last set available for that price so i went for it. i hope they're hear by next saturday so that i can get them on the car and not hear that awful squeak anymore or have to deal with the pulsations in the steering wheel. plus they should look nice after i paint the calipers red and get some black five spokes with a polished lip :D.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
joedashow said:
Congrats on the forced purchase. I'm sure your going to like these new rotors better than the stock ones. ;)
lol, yea, i hope. the powerslots were recommended to me by one of my mechanics so i decided to give em a shot. for the price it wasn't a bad deal at all. i was going to just get the stillen front rotors for 250 but decided having all four for 300 was a much better deal.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok, i just checked my e-mail and the ebc pads aren't even out for the cobalt yet. TTR said that they will ship directly from the manufacturer in about 2 weeks. i really hope they come soon, two weeks kind of sucks cuz now i have to wait to install them :(. oh well, at least they told me so i wouldn't be sitting here wondering where my pads are.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just took my car to be inspected and the guy said i should get my rotors fixed. the front rotors have little indents in them, like lines going across them. Do you guys think this is a problem? I dont brake hard, so i guess its the cheap brake pads GM gave the cobalt. Anyway, if you guys could give advice that'd be great.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
your rotors are grooved. you can get them cut, but your dealer will probably charge you like they wanted to do to me. even if you get them cut, they will come back. eventually your rotors are going to warp just like mine, mine were grooved for a long time before they warped but my dealer continued to assure me that it was normal and there was nothing wrong with them. and now i had to spen 500 bucks just to purchase new rotors and pads. if i get them installed it's gonna be another 220 unless i do it myself.

also, the stock pads aren't cheap, but i do believe they are too hard for the rotors.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts