Cobalts SS banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, unfortunately my shift knob popped off tonight. I sat down in the driver's seat of my SS/SC and went to put the car into neutral. Only to realize that the shift knob was in the passenger seat, and the styrofoam with the spring was below the E-brake. :(.. Anyone know if this is a quick fix? or will I need to replace the entire shifter? I forced the knob back onto the shaft metal part, along with the spring+styrofoam and it seemed to go into the gears fine.. along with reverse. Anyway i'm taking it into the dealership tommorow.. and i'm hoping for the best! I'll keep you posted on what the outcome of the problem is.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Everyone I personally know with an LSJ engine(yeah it happens to redlines to) has had their stock shift knob fall off, even mine has. I finally decided to superglue mine on and haven't had anymore problems.

·
Registered
90 Posts
haha, lucky you, i changed my knob, and i had to beat the old one off with a hammer! lol

·
Registered
93 Posts
I, too bashed it back on. Twice (it came off two times). Then I got a new shifter, with a screw-on knob. doesn't happen anymore. problem solved.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I took it into the dealership today and they said they pushed it back on like you guys did. They also told me they ordered a screw they were going to put into the shifter which would solve the problem. All of it is covered under warranty so i'm very happy it all worked out nicely! I wonder why these shifters have this problem? I never have shifted my car into gears stupidly, or hard enough for it to break the shift knob so i'm curious of why this happened. Anyway, to sum up this long story my shift knob should be fixed by late this week or next week once they get the parts in.

·
Registered
784 Posts
So I took it into the dealership today and they said they pushed it back on like you guys did. They also told me they ordered a screw they were going to put into the shifter which would solve the problem. All of it is covered under warranty so i'm very happy it all worked out nicely! I wonder why these shifters have this problem? I never have shifted my car into gears stupidly, or hard enough for it to break the shift knob so i'm curious of why this happened. Anyway, to sum up this long story my shift knob should be fixed by late this week or next week once they get the parts in.
Screw that say your life was at stake and get them to install a hurst for free.:D

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Screw that say your life was at stake and get them to install a hurst for free.:D
LOL, what the hell are you going to use for an excuse??? Heres mine... "While I was goin down the interstate, the shifter popped off and landed on my nut-sac, causing me to swerve into the other lane. What if, JUST WHAT IF?!? another vehicle was in that lane???"

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL, what the hell are you going to use for an excuse??? Heres mine... "While I was goin down the interstate, the shifter popped off and landed on my nut-sac, causing me to swerve into the other lane. What if, JUST WHAT IF?!? another vehicle was in that lane???"

LOL! :D that made me laugh!

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
lol. takee it one step further:
i was going down the interstate and went to shift into another gear. Upon shfting, the knob proceeded to come off the shaft. the knob and my hand sliped right into the stereo, smashing the whole face. upon the startling suprise of what happened, my car swerved into the oncoming lane. thank god no body was there or i could of been fataly hurt at that speed. as i was trying to put the car in nutral to slow down to a stop, i cut my hand open on the top of the shaft. now needing to get to a hospital for stitches (i bled all over my car ruining the interior) and unable to drive with the broken shifter, i had to walk to the nearest hospital which was luckely about 3 miles away. as i was walking aloong the road a bear had come running up out of the woods and started chasing me. he must of smelled my blood dripping all over the ground. by the way i had to use my 160 dollar designer shirt to tie around my hand to put pressure on the wound. anyway, now running down this road at 2 am being chased by a bear, i tripped and fell unto a stump bringing shocking pain to my groin area. just as the bear was about to get me, a alien looking ship came down from the sky, and scared the bear off. as of that time i had passed out. i came too about 4 hrs later in a hospital room with a anus the size of paris hiltons and a crushed right testicle.
so im sueing chevrolet for everything that happened that night, including but not limited to:
a bear attack,
ubducted by aliens,
anal probing (i hope)
never have a chance of having my own children,
68 stitches,
a broken knob on my shifter,
my broken stereo,
my ruined interior,
a totaled car (found it was hit by a tractor trailor the next morning),
my designer t-shirt and clothes i was wearing.
pain and suffering,
mental distress.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
hahhaha. i wish i could fit all your funny sh!t in my sig lol(lets get a little more space, pleeeease:rolleyes: ). anyways, this happened to so many 05 and 04-05 RLs that in 06 GM put a torx screw to hold the pressed knob on. you guys must powershift like mofo's, i had to press several on for customers whose fell off..... and use a vice to get intact ones off for short throws..... i raise my hand in your general direction of your paul walker shifting skills:D ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
My shifter also broke.. Was on backorder for 1 week.. Chevy replaced. Its so flimsy it will happen again.. I might as well get a Hurst.

·
Site Moderator
3,724 Posts
hahhaha. i wish i could fit all your funny sh!t in my sig lol(lets get a little more space, pleeeease:rolleyes: ). anyways, this happened to so many 05 and 04-05 RLs that in 06 GM put a torx screw to hold the pressed knob on. you guys must powershift like mofo's, i had to press several on for customers whose fell off..... and use a vice to get intact ones off for short throws..... i raise my hand in your general direction of your paul walker shifting skills:D ;)
Haha, I remember destroying my stock knob to put in the B&M.

We haven't seen around here in a while! How's it going?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Exactly, and "there is only one way to regain my dignity and thats to put in a hurst shifter for free dammit" thats what i would say

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
LOL! I love the watching that movie for a good laugh. Specifically in the beggining when he's jamming his shifter into the gears. It would be understandable for my shifter to break if I mistreated my car such as paul walker in fast and the furious however, once in a blue moon will I miss a gear, or immitate the shifting that of Paul Walker. I think I was just an unlucky customer? :confused:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
my shifter popped off last summer. quit doing it once it got cool. im expecting it to start popping off again now that we've hit 80f temps...
I got in the habit of popping it on good time when i got in the car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts