Cobalts SS banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts
Practice is what is needed. You all have it down right, just keep improving and you will be fine.

If you are just pushing,shifting,popping then you will do more than just buck the car. You are jolting the whole housing. Try letting it out smoothly, not slow..not fast, but smooth.

practice with proper instruction is the best way to learn how to drive standard imo. i tend to avoid downshifting under normal driving if possible. as an alternative i put the vehicle in neutral and use the brake to slow down/come to a stop. consequently you will wear your brakes out quicker, but it will provide less strain on your clutch/engine/transmission plus save gas. slow down without downshifting while approaching a red light, you can keep it in the same gear as before (dont bog it, if in that case downshift) and hopefully make it to the light when it turns green without stopping.

your problem with 1st-2nd shifts could very well be because you lack experience with standard. the more you drive the easier and smoother it will become. practice makes perfect, if you have any other questions reply :cool:

ps. as for the parking brake method on hills, generally speaking it "should" work however thats not always the case. many cars slowly roll backwards with the parking brake fully applied so be careful. if your stopped on a hill hold the clutch/brake in, then release the clutch to the point where it starts to grab and the rpm drop, hold it there until ready to move then feather the clutch with a little throttle and you will hardly roll back if at all (practice on an empty hill). im sure you know this but if not now you do ;)

i was to that scared me rolling back and wacking someone but the less you freak out the easier dont worry and feel the friction point then ease on a lil gas and you go off. Not bad at all just give it time and relax if you freak out you will stall it 20 times trying to get up the hill LOL Good Luck!

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.