Cobalts SS banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my SS two weeks ago, but after I've been driving it for a while, I'm starting to wonder, should I have gotten the SRT-4?
When I was looking, I had it narrowed down to SRT-4 and Cobalt SS, the Cobalt's nicer interior made me choose it over the SRT-4, with sacrifice to preformance. Someone reassure me that I can make my Cobalt into an SRT-4 killer with minimal work :D .

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
tube said:
Someone reassure me that I can make my Cobalt into an SRT-4 killer with minimal work :D .
That can't be proved yet, so NO ONE jump on this as an opportunity to stir things up.

The CSS/RL have yet to have a decent aftermarket. Like I said before, give it about a year. By then, there will be a good aftermarket for you guys.

As for MINIMAL work, not gonna happen. Atleast, it's not proven yet, like I said before. Check out the vendors for now.

Think you made a good choice? Only YOU can decide that. Don't listen to what anyone else says... shit, not even me, lol.

It would've been hard for me to choose. For one, I know the SRT-4 isa faster, and has a nice, AWESOME, aftermarket. Two, I like the CSS, but I don't know if I could wait another year for decent mods to come out.

JM2C

-Albert

p.s.: post pics of your car:D

·
Registered
261 Posts
That year will give you time to break it in right and put miles on it so you don't feel bad voiding your warranty. I think the ECU holds some secrets and loads of potential. Even if you did make the wrong choice it's too late now isn't it? So why worry about it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Just wait for the aftermarket to catch up. Gravana already said since they are ditching the twin charger set-up, that they are looking at different alternatives including a +100hp increase from an upgraded blower.

·
Registered
58 Posts
if ever in doubt when looking at the srt's headlights, let your eyes astray to ur interior and remember u have the better interior...seems to be working for the type s guys :D

hhehe, the ss is a great car, have fun with it

·
Registered
259 Posts
give it some time... let the aftermarket catch up... just enjoy the car while its stock....

·
Registered
9 Posts
I dont want to hear any Cobalt guy complain of aftermarket.. hahahaha.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have had my Cobalt SS for less than a week but I have to say I love the car. I have had Z06's and many Camaros and 2 Silverado SS and this little car is a blast. Go beyond just quarter mile times and the car handles great, stops good, and they are fairly rare on the road. The SRT-4 has 4 doors so in my mind it is totally different and it is still and damn Neon (Hell I don't car if it runs 10's bone stock it is still a Neon)

Drive the car, wait for the aftermarket to make parts. I would say you won't have to wait a year. Someting will be avalible in 3-6months that is worth while.

·
Registered
193 Posts
just remember performance isnt just in a straight line and that your car will be better to live with than the srt ...you obviously picked the car becasue it suited your personal needs more. just be patient for now with regards to aftermarket and soak in the new car feeling.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I owned an srt4 & wrecked it but i loved that car the performance was great had some small stuff done & ran a 13.7 would a lilmore practice 13.6 would be the best possible. handling & styling is alot nicer on SS but im luckiness to get to drive my friends SRT4 whenever i please which is 10x faster than mine his is like 300+whp :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Should have bought an srt-4. You would be running low 12's by now. LOL
I personally think it is stupid to rip another car for dumb reasons ala "It's still a neon" or "we have nicer interiors". No matter what all cars that are "econobox racers" have something crappy in them. It might be crappy power, interior, exterior, handling, comfort but you get what you pay for and you bought an economy pocket rocket. It will have it's downfalls but for the most part you will find more upsides to the car you own then downsides. Everyone else will find more faults to your car as always and think their car is superior cause it has a better interior or is faster or handles better or looks better. The problem with that is all those things are relative to a person's desire. One might be faster in a straight line or around turns, one might handle better at the dragstrip and the other on a road course. One may look better to one person and not the other. It is all personal opinion for the most part. If your not satisfied with the power of the cobalt and desire more power now then an srt is what you should have gotten. If you like the looks and feel of the cobalt than power will have to be put to the side until aftermarket starts getting more involved with the SS and Redlines. If your not happy with the SS than you should have gotten something else. If your only complaint is lack of aftermarket but you like everything else than just be patient and enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i think if you are second guessing yourself then you are probably dissappointed in your ss. i like how they look except for the stock rims. but what were you looking for performance or looks ? ss= less performance than an srt-4 ,but still good looking. and for those who say its still a neon , yes it is a neon ,so since you just got beat by a neon, doesn't that make your car worse than a neon? HMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you were strictly looking for power, I think the SRT-4 is the obvious choice. It has what, a 3 year head start on the SS/SC? That has given the aftermarket time to get some good parts out there. Plus Mopar stepped up and offered upgrades over the counter. Besides, it has a bigger engine, and turbos simply respond better to simple mods. It's a fact, plain and simple, and I'm not a Mopar fan. In fact I have a Cobalt SS/SC on order....I wonder if it will ever actually arrive.......now that I hear Arrival Blue might be a thing of the past.
Anyway, because the Cobalt has a supercharger, it's going to take the aftermarket time to get with the program. I'd guess a couple of years. The ECM is going to be tough to "hack"......PROPERLY. Be wary of folks getting stuff out there quick unless they are a known entity. These new breed of ECM's are sophisticated.
Not sure if GM is really going to have anything or not. It all seems to be rumors at this point. Time will tell, but trust me, they aren't going to offer anything that they think will break the drivetrain. The engine I believe has been well thought out......it ought to be capable of 300+ hp. That said, look at how fast some of the SRT-4's are already going.

Remember a couple of things. Turbo's will simply make more HP, because the engine doesn't have to spin it. Superchargers suck HP right from the crank. It's the nature of the beast.

Personally, I didn't order the new SS/SC because I wanted a bad ass hot rod. I have one of those. I ordered it because I like Chevys. I know it was built and engineered by GM performance, and I trust that it's a very well rounded package. I really am hoping it delivers.......

As far as modifying mine......that's going to be hard to say. If I crawl under the thing and see a crappy squish bent exhaust, I'll build my own cat back setup. But for the most part, I think it would be wise to just drive and enjoy it as is, until the warranty runs out, then see what's available. I'm not one much for buying bolt ons........anyone can do that.

At times, I almost think the 2.4 Ecotec SS might be a smarter choice. you could add your own turbo.......

Drive your car, have fun, be patient. If you are squirming too much, sell it and get the SRT-4. SS/SC's seem to be hard to find, you might not even lose much money.

Ron

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think you should have gotten an SRT...cuz their pretty qquick one of my freind has it and it pulls...especially on a rolling start....it almost pulled on a Evo on 2nd gear...wiht it stock....but I havent actually seen a cobalt do anything just seen em on the road so i dont know wat to xpect from it...Ill either own a cobalt or a WRX....

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
...Cheap-Fast-Reliable...

You can only choose 2! You are just reagretting your purchase since it is basically a brand new car... What do they call it, Buyers remorse?

Keep the car and let it grow on you! The SRT-4 is a decent car but just get it out of your head and you will do good!

·
Registered
144 Posts
hookdupdelsol said:
...Cheap-Fast-Reliable...

You can only choose 2! You are just reagretting your purchase since it is basically a brand new car... What do they call it, Buyers remorse?

Keep the car and let it grow on you! The SRT-4 is a decent car but just get it out of your head and you will do good!
Cheap-fast-reliable.....that is EXACTLY how I describe the SRT-4 to people who do not know what it is.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.