Cobalts SS banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really don't know if i want the cobalt or srt-4 both are awesome beauitful creations, but that's not my question. Either one i get this will be my first F/I car in my entire life( at 18) also first brand new bought car which i will pay on my own!(proud to say that :D ) Is there anything that should concern with? I know that superchargers are f/i friendly but turbo is not. I just want to know what im getting in before i spend my money on it that's all?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I guess if you drive it normal for the most part and don't redline the hell out if it 9 or 10 times a day there really isn't that much to worry about. A S/C will boost throughout your entire RPM cycle as it's powered by a belt driven by the engine. Turbos on the other hand are powered by the exhaust gases and therefore require more time to spool up, typically at higher RPMs (not sure what is is on the SRT but somewhere around 3000 - 3500 right?) more commonly known as turbo lag. On the flip-side, turbos seem to for the most part give a larger increase in HP with lower PSI than a S/C does but this isn't always the case...I haven't looked that deep into the SRT-4 to know how many PSI the stock turbo is boosting.

Either way, all it pretty much means is you're going to be eating more gas than you would be without F/I the harder you drive your car. If you shift it around 3000RPM during normal every day driving you may only notice slightly lower MPG. Again, since the S/C is powered by a belt drive, your boost should hover around 0 under normal driving conditions because the engine just isn't spinning that fast. With the turbo you shouldn't be reaching the higher RPMs besides when you're racing or passing cars for etc. both of which are the times you really want them to both be boosting :).

Permafried-

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so it just depends on you fair enough. I think stock psi for the srt-4 is 14 not for sure.
So the cobalt get the all it horsepower even at lower rpms, and the srt-4 kicks in its power in mid-level rpm's cause of turbo lag?

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
Actually the SRT4 doesnt have much lag at all, its a very efficient turbo. Both cars are EXTREMELY nice vehicles!! As far as sport compact performance goes. But like Permafried said, the SRT4 has more performance/$ and the SS will have more luxury(if you can say that about a sport compact lol)/$

·
Registered
360 Posts
Well, it really adds up the following:

Do you want two doors or four with your forced induction?

·
Registered
251 Posts
JdMkIlLeR said:
so it just depends on you fair enough. I think stock psi for the srt-4 is 14 not for sure.
So the cobalt get the all it horsepower even at lower rpms, and the srt-4 kicks in its power in mid-level rpm's cause of turbo lag?
As far as the SS is concerned you'll still get greater horsepower at higher RPMs as the S/C gets more drive from the engine, but a S/C in general don't experience the lag typically associated with turbos because it's constantly being driven by the engine. As CoBizzle stated though the SRT-4 has a very efficient turbo (which can be seen in the large number of videos online :D) so there isn't a huge wind-up period to get it kickin'. I haven't driven the SS nor the SRT-4 (I own the LS) so I'm speaking strictly from a technical standpoint as opposed to hands-on experience. It's basically come from some heavy research on my part to help me make a decision on which route I want to go with my LS if I choose F/I down the road :).

Permafried-

·
Registered
945 Posts
I drove both and personally i like the Cobalt better, in MY PERSONAL OPINION, i think it has better interior its more "Luxerious" than the SRT-4, so maybe it would come down to the finacial situation because i know my SS came out at alot cheaper price then for the SRT-4, so like ibal stated 2 doors or 4 doors with your forced induction.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went to go look at a cobalt today and i actually got to test drive it and i love it throttle response and you can here the whine alittle bit. I also went to look at the srt-4 and they had to have somebody that train drive it while i rid in it!!! so i'm just sitting there while this other guy driving and the dealer in the back hold on for his life!!! But the srt=4 is amazing love the spool of the turbo and the look on people face's when he shifted gears!!! Pissed me off that i couldn't get to drive it though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The ss has better interior and also i like how the shifter feels when shifting and the gears were smooth and pleasant. But you don't buy a sport compact car cause of it's interior (IMO) But the srt-4 interior feels more sporty to me(IMO) But it's still hard to choose which one to get, well aleast i have something to think about at work tom. LOL

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
JdMkIlLeR said:
The ss is has better interior and also i like how the shifter feels when shifting and the gears were smooth and pleasant. But you don't buy a sport-compact car cause of its interior IMO But the srt-4 interior feels more sporty to me now i know some of you may disagree, but it's still hard to choose which one to get well aleast i have something to think about at work tom. lol
fixed your post, just in case anyone decides to bicker over it :D

·
Registered
261 Posts
I don't kow if it's the turbo as much as the history and wrecks. If it is more right now, I'm sure the SS will catch up as soon as enough new driver's wrap theirs around trees.

·
Registered
251 Posts
JdMkIlLeR said:
I went to go look at a cobalt today and i actually got to test drive it and i love it throttle response and you can here the whine alittle bit. I also went to look at the srt-4 and they had to have somebody that train drive it while i rid in it!!! so i'm just sitting there while this other guy driving and the dealer in the back hold on for his life!!! But the srt=4 is amazing love the spool of the turbo and the look on people face's when he shifted gears!!! Pissed me off that i couldn't get to drive it though.
My roommate and I had thought about going by the Dodge dealership just to take one out for a rip and see how it runs. We assumed the dealer would at least have to come with us but the plan was for me to drive my LS down there and my buddy to say he needs something that's going to *points at Cobalt* beat that lol. Guess it just wouldn't be as much fun if someone has to drive the car for us though :(. I'm sure their biggest fear is people just taking the car out to run the hell out of it and like dazednconfused said, wrapping them around trees, poles, cars, etc. Guess I'll just stick to fixing the SRT-4 up in Forza Motorsport on the X-Box (too bad they didn't include the SS) and running with the cars in the A class :D.

Good to hear you're going to look into the difference in insurance as well as dazednconfused suggested, this magical number was one of the major factors that I didn't buy the SS or SRT-4 at all...BUT they have agreed to try to work with me if I start modding my car even if the HP raises above that of the SS or SRT-4 ;).

Permafried-

·
Registered
223 Posts
I was set on the SRT-4 until I really noticed how much NICER the cobalt is inside. Do you really want to live with CRANK windows in the back? The interior of the neon is outdated by a few years, lacks the refinement of the cobalt. Plus, leather seats, who can say no to that? I ultimately chose the cobalt because it's a lot easier to get a smaller pully, or get a nitrous kit, than it is to reupholster the interior, add a new stereo, and put power windows in the back. Plus, the spoiler of the SRT-4 is pretty ugly, it's too "St Louis Arch" for me. I think you'll be happier with the cobalt in the long run, I know I am.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts