Cobalts SS banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty, the cobalt ss is my first manual car. I can drive stick no problem at all. My only problem is driving it fast. I finally passed the 500 mile mark so I decided to "Rip" my car. I took off like normal but then punched the gas in first.....6500rpm, then dropped it into second and my tires squeeled for about a full second, then into third no problem. I do believe that I smelled clutch or just the motor because I gave it WOT. Was what I did bad for the transmisson? :confused:

I feel like such a newb :(

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Mercury said:
Alrighty, the cobalt ss is my first manual car. I can drive stick no problem at all. My only problem is driving it fast. I finally passed the 500 mile mark so I decided to "Rip" my car. I took off like normal but then punched the gas in first.....6500rpm, then dropped it into second and my tires squeeled for about a full second, then into third no problem. I do believe that I smelled clutch or just the motor because I gave it WOT. Was what I did bad for the transmisson? :confused:

I feel like such a newb :(
Were you power shifting or trying to? Meaning holding the gas down, stabbing the clutch, shifting, and letting the clutch out fast without taking your foot off the gas. Or did you push the clutch in, let off the gas, shift, push the gas back down, and slowly slip the clutch out?

If you tried the first, the only way you would smell anything is if you missed a gear or were too slow with the clutch and the shifting. Now the 2nd is what I am assuming you did and yeah, it is very bad for your clutch. Hope this helped.

·
Registered
543 Posts
wasey13 said:
Were you power shifting or trying to? Meaning holding the gas down, stabbing the clutch, shifting, and letting the clutch out fast without taking your foot off the gas. Or did you push the clutch in, let off the gas, shift, push the gas back down, and slowly slip the clutch out?

If you tried the first, the only way you would smell anything is if you missed a gear or were too slow with the clutch and the shifting. Now the 2nd is what I am assuming you did and yeah, it is very bad for your clutch. Hope this helped.
What you're talking about is WOT shifting (wide open throttle), never picking the right foot off the floor, just clutch and shift.
It was probably a little bit of clutch smell, just slipping a bit when you shifted at 6500 so the friction just burns some of the clutch.
No, regular shifting is not very bad on the clutch it's the other way around.
It shouldn't take you more than 1-2 sec to release the clutch pedal fully after you change the gear.
Now if you do what he was talking about and "riding the clutch" out....when you have the engine rev'd high and taking your sweet time releasing the clutch, that can wear it out faster than normal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If the tires broke loose for a full second then you probably smelled rubber.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm in a similar boat as you in that my LS is my first manual car and I've only been driving it for 2 months. I still have my moments where I'm afraid I'm letting the clutch out too fast (RPM just die :() without enough gas or too slow around the 3000rpm mark, but I don't THINK I've smelled burning clutch to this point. Of course, being new to standards I probably wouldn't know burning clutch if it came out and hit me in the face.

As for what you did, I would imagine you could have possible burned a little by shifting where you were but as long as you don't consistently do it I wouldn't worry about it too much. I would think (please someone correct me if I'm wrong) if you let it out slower around the 3000rpm mark there is really no chance of burning your clutch unless you hold it there and ride it for an extended period of time.

Guess it just takes some getting used to and you're going to make mistakes. I know I'll become more consistent over time but until then I'll be continually questioning myself whether or not what I'm doing is damaging my clutch.

Permafried-

·
Registered
18 Posts
selfinfliction said:
screw that dude! you got a cobalt ss as your first manual car... that protects you from nooB status lol
Don't feel bad man. I got a cobalt SS as my first manual car too! I must have looked like a total ass the first 2000k miles. Try being the only guy with a shiny red cobalt.... then stall it. You can't just say it was some other guy. I say screw them. You have to learn sometime. Good luck with your SS!

·
Registered
1 Posts
omega- WOT shifting *IS* power shifting.

Mercury- How long did it take you to let the clutch completly out? What you probably smelled was the tires, unless you were full-throttle and letting the clutch out VERY slowly.

Keep in mind that the clutch is supposed to slip. That's what clutches do. Of course, the less you slip the clutch, the better. But don't think of slipping the clutch as an "oh no, I slipped the clutch!" kind of thing.

Driving hard will always cause more wear than taking it easy, but the Cobalt is built to be driven hard, so don't be scared to give it a little stick sometimes.

In terms of driving a manual, my advice is to be smooth but not slow.

Taking too long to let the clutch out means you are slipping the clutch for too long. But don't think of the clutch as an on/off switch either. Be smooth with it, but don't take too long.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
LordSpawn said:
Don't feel bad man. I got a cobalt SS as my first manual car too! I must have looked like a total ass the first 2000k miles. Try being the only guy with a shiny red cobalt.... then stall it. You can't just say it was some other guy. I say screw them. You have to learn sometime. Good luck with your SS!
You have driven 2,000,000(million) miles already? :eek: :eek: DAMN! LOL. :D :p

skankhair said:
omega- WOT shifting *IS* power shifting.

Mercury- How long did it take you to let the clutch completly out? What you probably smelled was the tires, unless you were full-throttle and letting the clutch out VERY slowly.

Keep in mind that the clutch is supposed to slip. That's what clutches do. Of course, the less you slip the clutch, the better. But don't think of slipping the clutch as an "oh no, I slipped the clutch!" kind of thing.

Driving hard will always cause more wear than taking it easy, but the Cobalt is built to be driven hard, so don't be scared to give it a little stick sometimes.

In terms of driving a manual, my advice is to be smooth but not slow.

Taking too long to let the clutch out means you are slipping the clutch for too long. But don't think of the clutch as an on/off switch either. Be smooth with it, but don't take too long.
Thank you for stating the obvious about power shifting. Who says, "wide open throttle shifting" anyways?? "Like damn I was racing this Honda CRX and I wasn't wide open throttle shifting the whole time and I still won." <---Do you talk like that Omega or does anyone else? :confused: :rolleyes:

Good post skankhair too.

Mercury you just have to practice and learn to be smooth. Also remember everyone makes mistakes too. So don't worry about messing up, besides mis-shifting that is something you should worry about.:)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hmmm...in the MOPAR stage upgrade documentation, the MOPAR engineers call it "WOT" too. Easier and faster to say than "wide open throttle".

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
iball said:
Hmmm...in the MOPAR stage upgrade documentation, the MOPAR engineers call it "WOT" too. Easier and faster to say than "wide open throttle".
Hmmm... they walk around saying, "I like to WOT shift."??? I am sure they say, "power shift" like everyone else. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yes, I'm sure they like to lift-throttle and jam the car into gear without using the clutch.

·
Registered
509 Posts
First of all, power shifting,WOT shifting, whateva, reving it to 6500 RPMs then letting the clutch go will always where the clutch out faster than normal. I cannot say that it is ok but it may even break the pressure plate. Hopefully you were in motion when you did this on a stock clutch.

On an upgraded clutch, the wear time will be different. It will take a little more time to wear down when you beat on it (At least thats what we hope for).
So take it a little easier on the right & try lower RPMs & once you find your greatest shift points, then Wammo Have fun & get some $ ready for a clutch!

& thats SXT Advice for the day

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
iball said:
Yes, I'm sure they like to lift-throttle and jam the car into gear without using the clutch.
What are you talking about????????????????????? You still use the clutch when you are power shifting, or as you SRT-4 owners call it "WOT shifting".

You are talking about clutchless shifting and you have to be perfect to do that fast(matching RPMs is a pain). And if you mess up, bye bye syncros. A lot of professionals don't know how to shift without the clutch in a fast enough way for it to be useful. :rolleyes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts