Cobalts SS banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not something from a magazine, and not something that you heard about....the fastest that anyone here has run at the track?
Sort of seems like a 14.7? Maybe 98mph?
This is rather lame isn't it? I mean for a new car, with 220hp at the wheels?
Don't get me wrong, I have one on order. But my 90 (that's 15 years old) Olds quad 442 Calais has run 14.5 @ 97 , and it don't got no blower......and that was with street tires.
I'm beginning to wonder if I'm going to be disappointed with the SS?
At the least, GM better step up to the plate with some parts....since they made them heavy like tanks. Shoot, My 442 weighs 2650.......2850 with me in it. That puts the Cobalt quite a lot heavier....and every 100lbs is at least a tenth in this weight/hp class, maybe more.

I have this sad feeling that GM is going to use us early buyers for the QC function, then decide whether to make one of these with some serious HP. Or offer over the counter perf parts. If they all break......watch the supercharger go away. I have already heard rumblings that the LSD isn't available in 06.
I have also heard that they are going to have a non-supercharged SS coupe in 06, as well as a 4dr SS.
Have you noticed that they don't give the 6/60 protection for the engine/drivetrain?

So C'mon guys, tell me these things do go low 14's! Otherwise, the SRT-4 has to be admittedly a lot faster....with more potential to boot. IF GM drops the ball here, I'm going to go look elsewhere. And I'm a lifetime Chevy guy. It seems like Chevy has become a SUV company........with a Corvette on the side.

Tell me it isn't so...........

Ron
Just ran a 10.23 @ 131 with my drive it to the track all motor 69 Nova.
Wasn't an import in sight...........

·
Registered
492 Posts
Ok, well, the fastest RL slip I've seen (I know not a Cobalt but still same drivetrain and launching problems) was a 14.31 at 96+MPH (can't remember exactly). One man reported a 13.9, don't know trap speed, but it was just a free run day at the track, they said they only had the boards to go by but no slip. They are very credible though, so there is no real reason to doubt the guy. He also owns 4RL's and one Quad Coupe. They've owned like 30+ saturns, the guy doesn't take them lightly. Those are the fastest times I've seen, with slip and w/o it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
There's a 1/4 mile time sticky thread on Redline Forums. I think the best 60' times are around 2.2. It's got the power, it just doesn't really show in the 1/4 for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
291 Posts
dazednconfused75 said:
There's a 1/4 mile time sticky thread on Redline Forums. I think the best 60' times are around 2.2. It's got the power, it just doesn't really show in the 1/4 for obvious reasons.
I cut 2.1 60 ft times.

·
Registered
58 Posts
498Nova said:
Not something from a magazine, and not something that you heard about....the fastest that anyone here has run at the track?
Sort of seems like a 14.7? Maybe 98mph?

thats not the fastest, i ran lester track in rochester new york friday night at 14.58 at 96.3 i believe...i have the slip at home and ill post so i have some credibility. that was bone stock with street tires as well. there was another ss there that couldnt get into even the 15's. i had a decent r/t of like .9 and change i cant remember the exacts without my slip...has anyone else hit a 14.5 or lower? i know that stock with a pro driver is right around there, so i was very happy with my run

·
Registered
509 Posts
I seen similar #'s

·
Registered
492 Posts
JDMCivic said:
I think your numbers are a little high.

220whp? I thought they were 205bhp?
Check out some of the dyno's of them and the RL's stock. 215WHP seems to be the medium number on the dyno's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts