Cobalts SS banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see this in every car specific forum I've been into. You've got domestics vs imports or even GM vs Ford vs Dodge. Hell, I even see fighting between 2 similar cars within the same parent company.

Everywhere I go, people think that their car is the best in its class. They all can't be right, right? Why are there people who say, "I'll never drive a domestic/import"? Hell, some people might even choose a lower-end car over a higher end because of this. I'm sure there future Cobalt SS/SC owners that would rather have their Cobalt over an M3. Whatever happened to open-mindedness and common sense? So many people trashing other people's cars without even trying out the car themselves. Also opinions on if a car is ugly or not is very biased towards their dislike/like to a particular company.

People also seem to think a 0.3 second difference in a quarter mile race (run by other people) means their car is better in every sense (and make cracks the other one is slow even though it barely slower than their car). Just because someone else achieves that time doesn't mean you will. In real life there are turns and stops; people seem to forget that. And there are so many stats out there, people gather them unfairly to support their own arguments. Some people care about HP/Torque (and a lot of people don't even use it effectively; good luck with your wheel hop/spin). Some people care about comfort/luxury. Some care for looks/style. Some like control/handling. Some people like "options". Some like convienence/versatility/practicality. People tend to only compare the positives in their car and not the negatives.

I admit I'm a bit biased myself but I have had good experiences with some companies (and bad experiences with others). I still did my research before buying however. I try out other company's vehicles when I've got some time to kill and I usually try to find something good in that vehicle. A lot of people can't even do that. Usually if I do have a criticism, I try to make it constructive.

Anyway, I respect those who have done their research on other cars before comparing. This thread is for those who don't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,187 Posts
Scourge said:
I see this in every car specific forum I've been into. You've got domestics vs imports or even GM vs Ford vs Dodge. Hell, I even see fighting between 2 similar cars within the same parent company.

Everywhere I go, people think that their car is the best in its class. They all can't be right, right? Why are there people who say, "I'll never drive a domestic/import"? Hell, some people might even choose a lower-end car over a higher end because of this. I'm sure there future Cobalt SS/SC owners that would rather have their Cobalt over an M3. Whatever happened to open-mindedness and common sense? So many people trashing other people's cars without even trying out the car themselves. Also opinions on if a car is ugly or not is very biased towards their dislike/like to a particular company.

People also seem to think a 0.3 second difference in a quarter mile race (run by other people) means their car is better in every sense (and make cracks the other one is slow even though it barely slower than their car). Just because someone else achieves that time doesn't mean you will. In real life there are turns and stops; people seem to forget that. And there are so many stats out there, people gather them unfairly to support their own arguments. Some people care about HP/Torque (and a lot of people don't even use it effectively; good luck with your wheel hop/spin). Some people care about comfort/luxury. Some care for looks/style. Some like control/handling. Some people like "options". Some like convienence/versatility/practicality. People tend to only compare the positives in their car and not the negatives.

I admit I'm a bit biased myself but I have had good experiences with some companies (and bad experiences with others). I still did my research before buying however. I try out other company's vehicles when I've got some time to kill and I usually try to find something good in that vehicle. A lot of people can't even do that. Usually if I do have a criticism, I try to make it constructive.

Anyway, I respect those who have done their research on other cars before comparing. This thread is for those who don't.
I know what you mean man this just so stupid soom time because people are just to pig headed to admit a Honda or any "rice" and go out and wop a domestics ass. Well i am a person who can give any car repect it because i am not to pig headed myself but there is only thing about be i am not a big fan of Fords. So that is just me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Scourge said:
I see this in every car specific forum I've been into. You've got domestics vs imports or even GM vs Ford vs Dodge. Hell, I even see fighting between 2 similar cars within the same parent company.

Everywhere I go, people think that their car is the best in its class. They all can't be right, right? Why are there people who say, "I'll never drive a domestic/import"? Hell, some people might even choose a lower-end car over a higher end because of this. I'm sure there future Cobalt SS/SC owners that would rather have their Cobalt over an M3. Whatever happened to open-mindedness and common sense? So many people trashing other people's cars without even trying out the car themselves. Also opinions on if a car is ugly or not is very biased towards their dislike/like to a particular company.

People also seem to think a 0.3 second difference in a quarter mile race (run by other people) means their car is better in every sense (and make cracks the other one is slow even though it barely slower than their car). Just because someone else achieves that time doesn't mean you will. In real life there are turns and stops; people seem to forget that. And there are so many stats out there, people gather them unfairly to support their own arguments. Some people care about HP/Torque (and a lot of people don't even use it effectively; good luck with your wheel hop/spin). Some people care about comfort/luxury. Some care for looks/style. Some like control/handling. Some people like "options". Some like convienence/versatility/practicality. People tend to only compare the positives in their car and not the negatives.

I admit I'm a bit biased myself but I have had good experiences with some companies (and bad experiences with others). I still did my research before buying however. I try out other company's vehicles when I've got some time to kill and I usually try to find something good in that vehicle. A lot of people can't even do that. Usually if I do have a criticism, I try to make it constructive.

Anyway, I respect those who have done their research on other cars before comparing. This thread is for those who don't.
Dude i totally agree with u I mean seriously we are all car enthusiasts here y cant we all just get along?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,460 Posts
i didnt bother reading all the posts, especially the first one but...

to answer the title plain and simple:

manufacturers compete with eachother right? ... enthusiasts compete with eachother right?...

depending on which manufacturer you buy a car from, thats the one you will "defend" so to speak... basically, you're now apart of them, so if anyone talks shit, then you stand up, thus, engaging in arguements and creating more usless threads like this one...

i dont mean to be a jerk, but that was a serious stupid question... really.. just think about it....... getting mad already?.... big surprise.....i dont care.... wuts that you typed?..... sorry i wont be checking back to see what it was, bye!

p.s:im just bored, dont take it up the tailpipe!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
KSE said:
i didnt bother reading all the posts, especially the first one but...

to answer the title plain and simple:

manufacturers compete with eachother right? ... enthusiasts compete with eachother right?...

depending on which manufacturer you buy a car from, thats the one you will "defend" so to speak... basically, you're now apart of them, so if anyone talks shit, then you stand up, thus, engaging in arguements and creating more usless threads like this one...

i dont mean to be a jerk, but that was a serious stupid question... really.. just think about it....... getting mad already?.... big surprise.....i dont care.... wuts that you typed?..... sorry i wont be checking back to see what it was, bye!

p.s:im just bored, dont take it up the tailpipe!
He's got a great point in the first 1/2 there. Anyone who drops near $20,000 on anything, likes to think that they have the best of the possible choices. The fact of the matter is, there is not a best choice. Import people like to take shots at completely useless things, (hp/L for instance, if I hear that one more time I'll puke), domestic guys like to do the same thing, (I make more power, particuarly torque, so your car sux).

Almost every 'fight' that I see over imports and domestics start from one of these two points. What both sides don't want to see, or don't care to see, is that one can easily be equaled or exceeded with the other. There is no one in a 500hp 2006 Corvette Z06 that could give a rats ass about hp/L, even though they are making over 100hp/L, they just don't give a shit. Nor does someone in a worked S2000 care if the Camaro he just blew past makes more torque at idle than his engine does at any point. IF you're racing, it's an easy question, take it to the track, run it, end of discussion. If you're not, then it's a neverending arguement...

People also get roped into arguing over opinions rather than facts. How does a car look? What's the 'value' of a car, etc, etc. There's also no telling what the person's main interest is. Do they care about the interior? exterior? engine? aerodynamics? acceleration? modding?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,460 Posts
Sp00ner said:
He's got a great point in the first 1/2 there. Anyone who drops near $20,000 on anything, likes to think that they have the best of the possible choices. The fact of the matter is, there is not a best choice. Import people like to take shots at completely useless things, (hp/L for instance, if I hear that one more time I'll puke), domestic guys like to do the same thing, (I make more power, particuarly torque, so your car sux).

Almost every 'fight' that I see over imports and domestics start from one of these two points. What both sides don't want to see, or don't care to see, is that one can easily be equaled or exceeded with the other. There is no one in a 500hp 2006 Corvette Z06 that could give a rats ass about hp/L, even though they are making over 100hp/L, they just don't give a shit. Nor does someone in a worked S2000 care if the Camaro he just blew past makes more torque at idle than his engine does at any point. IF you're racing, it's an easy question, take it to the track, run it, end of discussion. If you're not, then it's a neverending arguement...

People also get roped into arguing over opinions rather than facts. How does a car look? What's the 'value' of a car, etc, etc. There's also no telling what the person's main interest is. Do they care about the interior? exterior? engine? aerodynamics? acceleration? modding?
exactamundo!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
hmm

well a car is a car.. someone can buy a porche and someone else can buy a newer porche and either one could win.. it all depends on the driver good vs. bad some drivers have a heavy foot.. and some kknow what they are doing its not always the car.. just last summer i saw a supra race a honda civic the civic was built nicely the supra was Near stock and the supra won.. it was just an experienced driver vs a newbie racer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,187 Posts
SS-Boyz said:
well a car is a car.. someone can buy a porche and someone else can buy a newer porche and either one could win.. it all depends on the driver good vs. bad some drivers have a heavy foot.. and some kknow what they are doing its not always the car.. just last summer i saw a supra race a honda civic the civic was built nicely the supra was Near stock and the supra won.. it was just an experienced driver vs a newbie racer
That is true i was rideing in my freinds 1988 5.0 Mustang GT almost stock he just had a H-pipe on it and he got his ass wopped by a 1986 Supra that onlt had a few small mods and that car could rally hall ass off the line it was so damn funny to experence. Me and my other freind in my freinds Mustang were laughing are asses off he entire way home.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
The same reason sports fans dont get along, or political people dont get along. No one wants to hear that who they are is inferrior, when you become a fna you affiliate yourself with that idea, be it a sports team, politicla idea, car brand, etc. SO when you come across rival fans, they want to think they are the best, just as you do...thus it causes friction between those who can't admit they are equally good in their own right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts
It's all in friendly competition. Well most of the time somewhat friendly. How fun would it be if every single car was exactly the same, speed, gas, ride, except for the body.
We need it. It keeps modding alive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
It's pretty clear some of you have never experienced street competition if you can say "it doesn't matter if you run 3 tenths of a second slower than your competition". When the adrenalin starts to flow in a competitive race, it's like an addiction...you must win, and if you don't, you really feel crappy.

I have owned some awesome cars in my lifetime including more than one of Chevy's finest. I want others to recognize my good taste in fast cars. When I owned fast Chevy's (55 2 door post, Chevelle SS 396, 82 Vette, 02 C5 (current)), the obvious competition was anything labeled Ford. But, when I'm in Europe, I want the fastest American car I can afford, be it Ford or Chevy! You gotta have pride, man....pride in something!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts
American pre-made ego in a box, pay a few grand and now you are hot$hit.
Those that "let the car do the talking for them" they are so awesome. These guys were picked on a lot.

You should respect your competition, not necessarily have to like them but give them respect. The car that is, not always the person.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
You can call it "ego" if you want, but if you have no pride in what you drive, why try to improve it. I am well aware that my car won't compete with a Ferrari Enzo and I do respect the car and a person who can afford to purchase one. If I didn't like to race and win once in a while, I might as well drive a Cavalier 4 door 4 banger. I like to win on occasion and that's why I drive a C5. Just ask the Ferrari 348GTB how he felt on the Italian Autostrada, near Maranello, when this American made "ego" machine blew his doors off at top speed. Both cars were evenly matched and, in fact, he had the horsepower to weight advantage. When I beat him, I felt great about it, and I know how he felt losing (you should have seen the look on his face when I waved bye-bye). If anyone has an ego problem it must be someone who pays over $150K for a Ferrari and is pissed when a $50K American car puts a whoopin' on his butt. I prefer being the underdog, then, when I win, it really makes me feel good about my choice in cars. I'm simply saying a car nut has to have pride in what he drives and if he doesn't, then he/she's not a car fan. I don't understand what Omega2 means by "American pre-made ego in a box" but, I'm absolutely sure every car and speed enthusiast thinks long and hard about the car he invests his/her money in. I worked hard to buy the best performance I could afford.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top