Cobalts SS banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some weird stuff that i have noticed since i purchased my SS 3weeks ago. 1st thing the radio wont play most regular store bought cds went to dealer & had them try the cds that worked & didnt worked so they ordered my a new radio.
2nd was i hear clunking/knocking noises in my front suspension or steering when turn or go over bumps & all that stuff they say they didnt hear it but im gonna bring back & go for a ride with them + its hard to hear it when its down pooring outside all day & have all that road noise to hear the steerin noise & 3rd when i down shift into 2nd or 1st & when it gets to real low rpms i put my clutch in & stop then the rpms jump crazy from idle to above idle to just about stalling & it keeps doing that but then i tap the gas & then it idles fine

just some input for all you SS owners on whats up with my car

·
Registered
695 Posts
i have a whislting noise when i accelerate... its really starting to get to me now.. thinking about bringing it to the dealer. another problem i have had was that my battery died... twice

·
Registered
125 Posts
ripsrt4 said:
Some weird stuff that i have noticed since i purchased my SS 3weeks ago. 1st thing the radio wont play most regular store bought cds went to dealer & had them try the cds that worked & didnt worked so they ordered my a new radio.
2nd was i hear clunking/knocking noises in my front suspension or steering when turn or go over bumps & all that stuff they say they didnt hear it but im gonna bring back & go for a ride with them + its hard to hear it when its down pooring outside all day & have all that road noise to hear the steerin noise & 3rd when i down shift into 2nd or 1st & when it gets to real low rpms i put my clutch in & stop then the rpms jump crazy from idle to above idle to just about stalling & it keeps doing that but then i tap the gas & then it idles fine
just some input for all you SS owners on whats up with my car
in my lancer it will drop to almost 550, then shoot up to about 900-1000, then fall back down again.. from what ive herd its to save gas, dont understand it myself, but i wouldnt worry about it

·
Registered
17 Posts
my SS does the same thing...sometimes it will do it when I'm driving slowly in first, and sort of "gallop" just give it a little gas and it smooths out. Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i have a whislting noise when i accelerate... its really starting to get to me now..
well if u have a Coball SS/sc it mite jus be the supercharger yur hearin duhhhh

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i also noticed that from the factory the right side of front bumper under headlight theres lines of indents that were there when it was painted... and the red insert is starting to come apart on pass.side were it goes under the inserts for the switchers

·
Registered
2 Posts
Steering clunk

I have a base Cobalt. I have 4,000 km's on it and it is also starting to clunk at very low speeds when turning, as well as going over speed bumps. I took it to the dealer. The dealer contacted GM and they said it is likely the connecting shaft between the steering column and the steering rack. They will be replacing the part under warranty. Hopefully it works and doesn't return again in 4,000 km's.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It kinda sounds like your IAC is not working right. i would get that checked out. as for the red inserts coming out, take it to the dealer and have them replace the door panle, and the clunking might be a intermediate shaft, i have had that problem on some of the 2002-2004 cavaliers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok ya i have an appoitment for doorpanels
the trim piece for sunroof popped off after powershifting into 2nd & i noticed the lil metal clip in headliner is broken so thats gotta get fixed & i def. will mention about the iac sensor but they told me that they didnt find anything wrong thus it happens once in awhile & i also noticed driving around town or on highway the lil' light on dash blinks saying brake (flashes once & goes away) & my hand is on shifter not ebrake so i thought that was weird
PLEASE HELP ME:)
THANKS

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
yeah i had my sunroof trim thingy pop off too, took it back to the dealer and they put it back on then it came off again and i just glued it

but thats pretty much it, everything else is good

ps mine also does the crazy idle thing, but i think its just the electric throttle trying to compensate for the drop in rpms, but it seems normal

·
Registered
81 Posts
ripsrt4 said:
ok ya i have an appoitment for doorpanels
the trim piece for sunroof popped off after powershifting into 2nd & i noticed the lil metal clip in headliner is broken so thats gotta get fixed & i def. will mention about the iac sensor but they told me that they didnt find anything wrong thus it happens once in awhile & i also noticed driving around town or on highway the lil' light on dash blinks saying brake (flashes once & goes away) & my hand is on shifter not ebrake so i thought that was weird
PLEASE HELP ME:)
THANKS
yeah i get that little light too the ebrake light pops on and off once in a while. I wonder what it means

·
Registered
765 Posts
foXll17 said:
i have a whislting noise when i accelerate... its really starting to get to me now.. thinking about bringing it to the dealer. another problem i have had was that my battery died... twice

I have had 2 GM vehicles before my SS they both whistled really loud during exceleration. :mad: BOTH times it was the battery going bad. Its probably the cars audio amplifier making your whistling sound due to not having the correct amount of power going to it. Have them check your battery again.... Sorry!!! :(

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've heard the brake light wasa reflash...also with the brights light. My door pannel was fine when i bought it....now 6 months later it's starting to come away from the controls...:(

·
Registered
671 Posts
Let me let you guys in on a secret. I have seen 5 cobalt ss/sc's with the following issues. The paint scratches off on the panel where the rocker switches are for the drivers side door. It would scratch off on the other side also if there were passengers in there 24/7. This is due to just spraying shitty mettalic silver over a non base coated plastic piece. The leather on every cobalt ss/sc I have ever seen starts to pull away from the pass side rocker panel area. All of them have mis aligned bumpers/ fenders most notably on the pass side where the head lamp is. You will notice a gap. Someone said something about a whistle WTF ??? If you have a cobalt ss/sc that whistle is something we in the industry like to call a Supercharger. If you don't like the whistle don't buy a SC car. All of these things are dealer fixed. I do know that when you take your car in for the paint flaking on the rocker panel they give you the same piece of shit non - base coated plastic. I am going to just have them give me the part and i AM GOING TO clear coat it. The leather I don't know about the fix seeings how it is all pre cut from the same mold so to me if they gave you another piece it would eventually do the same thing. One thing I noticed about my car is sometimes when I turn there is a whuurrrrr sound. I took it to the shop and had my front end checked and they found nothing. Also if you are getting more than 12.5 lbs of boost stock setup you aren't lucky something is clogged causing more restriction raising your psi. The stereo will play all cd's so it isn't the brand or type if you are nt able to play cd's / mp3's it is a faulty radio. What else oh there is almost too much leather on the seats causing undue indentations. I thought I just had a big ass and that is what was causing my seat to swell turns out every ss/sc is doing this. So if you think you are alone you are not.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i was going to get one in july when i turned in my tblazer but after reading all this is the SS/SC really worth it? because i dont want to spend 24k's on a piece of sh%^

·
Registered
118 Posts
Seven said:
I have a base Cobalt. I have 4,000 km's on it and it is also starting to clunk at very low speeds when turning, as well as going over speed bumps. I took it to the dealer. The dealer contacted GM and they said it is likely the connecting shaft between the steering column and the steering rack. They will be replacing the part under warranty. Hopefully it works and doesn't return again in 4,000 km's.
My SRT4 did the same thing. They had to tighten a coule things up & took care of it. I know they are different cars but it's weird how different cars have the same/similiar problems...

·
Registered
188 Posts
JewelzSC said:
i was going to get one in july when i turned in my tblazer but after reading all this is the SS/SC really worth it? because i dont want to spend 24k's on a piece of sh%^
All makes of cars have problems, go see for yourself at some of the other foreign and domestic car forums.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts