Cobalts SS banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What about the sound does anyone know where the Amp is or any specs on the Sub and it's enclosure I want to see if I can put something else in it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
no idea.. im sure since its a powered sub you can find the amp right next to the sub in that housing.. someone can verify that for ya..

i personally like the sound and haven't felt the need to slap some subs back there yet

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
yeah i think the sub is fine for me, but the sound distorts a little when turned all the way up on songs with a lot of base, but i dunno if its the sub distorting or the 6x9s

·
Registered
251 Posts
It could also be due to the tweeters screaming right on the side of your head and cancelling other signals out. I haven't taken mine past 3/4 yet but sounds good enough to me...as for where the amp is there's only two possible spots as far as I can tell. One, in the sub housing as was suggested or two it could be a highly modified Pioneer deck and the amp is part of the deck itself...if anyone has replaced their factory deck with an aftermarket they could maybe shoot his one down or verify it for us...I have a feeling it's option one though.

Permafried-

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
A lot of times GM will mount the amp on the upper side of the trunk, open your deck lid, lean in and lok up, there may be a lil silver box there. Thats where they put a LOT of their factory amps anyways. And Im pretty sure the battery is in the trunk too so less power wire to run.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Actually, the amp is up underneath the dash towards the firewall. I have replaced the factory head unit, and there was no amp in it from what I could tell. I attempted to power the Pioneer sub with my aftermarket amp, and it sounded good, but once it got to high volume it just bottomed out and distorted. I chose to put my bandpass box in that I had from my Grand Am, and it is much louder. Personally, I would have liked to keep the Pioneer sub because it was better suited to my taste of music, i.e. Dave Matthews Band.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alright thanks alot guys I have no complaint with my sound yet but every now and then I come across some nice MTX stuff thats like 60% of reg. price thats why I was wondering just in case I get something

1 - 8 of 8 Posts