Cobalts SS banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i bought my car and drove it home with a friend, talking and radio on the whole way nothing sounded weird, everything normal.

Then, when i go to work the next morning, i hear a loud rattling of metal, no biggy, sounded like a heat shield. Brought it back to my dealer(I work at Artioli DOdge, this is Artioli Chevrolet) and the service manager and I throw it up on a lift. He heard it when i drove in, and also thought it was a heat shield. So we get under there and tighten all of the heat shields. Take it down, drive it, still noise is there.

So we throw it back on the lift again, only i stay in it and rev it up. Turns out the noise is coming from the muffler. This is a very annoying sound and when happens constantly, in every gear, and is much worse when i really punch it.

Being a new and small dealership, they had never seen a Cobalt SS and had no clue, normal or not, i said no way Chevy would put out a vehicle with that noise, so he made some phone calls and i am still waiting for him to get back to me.

Does anyone else have this problem? Someone mention a loose baffle in the muffler? I dont know too much about cars so i have no idea. any ideas?
Thanx

·
Registered
134 Posts
Shit, i have the same problem.. Good to hear im not the only one lol.

So anyway, new muffler? I guess ill take it to the dealer after the weekend and see what they say.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its good to hear that Im not the only one, when people talk about chronic Cobalt problems (sunroof button, seats, passenger door, drivers door handle) I never hear about the muffler

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yea, well mine started after i got home from work. (about 30miles). When i was drivin through town and hit the first stop light. I accelerated and i just heard the most annoying sound. I can hear it through all my gears. Its not constant, but like around 2-3k rpm it will give a buzz.

·
Registered
47 Posts
they have been having problems with them the 3 my dad has at GM Experimental where he works have all had a complete exhaust put on Its the baffels in the muffler.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Flesh said:
they have been having problems with them the 3 my dad has at GM Experimental where he works have all had a complete exhaust put on Its the baffels in the muffler.
Damn, that's gotta go into a Cobalt SS/SC FAQ somewhere (hint, hint)...

·
Registered
134 Posts
HAha, muffler bearing.

Anyway took it in today, told them it maybe a baffel inside the muffler. The fucker insisted it was the heat shields.. (this was around 8am). So they take it in. I get a call aroun 5pm or so, they confirmed the problem, and it was a baffle, it heated or something and came loose? Right so they're replacing the muffler. They said i should get it back sometime in the evening (tuesday). This shit better not happen again. Im gonna have to cut someone.

...muffler bearing :D

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hey, i have the same problem too ! A kind of rattling ... annoying noise. I will go to the dealer soon, I think they will have to change the muffler.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yup they will change the muffler... But they gave my car back and said, "We ordered a new muffler, but it wont be in for 7 days.. It's coming from Michigan." So i get to deal with the noise awhile longer! SWEET :eek:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Muffler ...

Hi Guys,
This is an annoying sound which is like metal on metal vibration. I went to the dealer yesterday. They told me they have to replace a part of the muffler. They ordered the part and are supposed to call me when it gets in. I have my Cobalt since only 2 months.

·
Registered
23 Posts
mine was doing the same thing!! started at around 3000 kms.it just was'nt going away.dealer said it was normal!! until the mechanic tried it.anyway got the new muffler installed yesterday and it was sounding just fine.but today is a nother thing. it started again.not so loud but give it a few days and it will sound like a cheap aftermarket muffler again.hope gm brings a new muffler out for the ss soon.

·
Registered
134 Posts
redneck said:
mine was doing the same thing!! started at around 3000 kms.it just was'nt going away.dealer said it was normal!! until the mechanic tried it.anyway got the new muffler installed yesterday and it was sounding just fine.but today is a nother thing. it started again.not so loud but give it a few days and it will sound like a cheap aftermarket muffler again.hope gm brings a new muffler out for the ss soon.
Or aftermarket :D Come on Magnaflow

·
Registered
47 Posts
deuses300c said:
Umm yea, wtf? My dealer just replaced the whole damn thing... Tell us how it goes.
Thats because it one complete assembly there not going to cut off the muffler and slap a new one on for warranty :eek:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts