Cobalts SS banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one of my new guys at work has a gtp, and he happened to be leaving when i was going on lunch so he asked when we were gonna race. we decided we'd go right then and do it for $20... just to make it worth some gas money. i'm not sure what all mods he had but i will find out on sunday. one of his freinds said he has a lot of money into it. me = bone stock (water injection kit isn't installed atm)

we got on the freeway @ 60 and ran up to around 110-115, on the third honk he jumped a little before i did and he only pulled away from me about 1/2 car very slowly during the entire run... since i was limited on my time we couldn't run again, but it was so close i think throwing in some high octane and not having 3/4 of a tank i should be able to possibly take him... but then again i don't know how much fuel or other things he might have had going on. i think he was pretty suprised i was on his ass like that cause he thought the cobalts weren't that fast.

when we get some time we'll be doing a 20, 40, 60 rolls to really see who can outrun who. and i'll get a list of his mods up... i'm thinking about getting my waterinjection back in and running high octane with about 1/4 tank of fuel and catching him off gaurd to go double or nothing in a day or so lol....we'll see

·
Registered
173 Posts
damn those gtps...

no I've only had mine since last Tuesday(yeah like 3 days ago) and I can't wait to get started on it...

·
Registered
173 Posts
whats he have done to the gtp?

I've seen some gtps with the "free mods"(gutted air box, removed screens and washers, and by-passed throttle body coolant) go in the low 14s...

And thats without any aftermarket parts(unless you count the $2.99 hose used to by-pass the T.B. coolant)...

Mine will be victim to that this Sunday...

·
Registered
7 Posts
selfinfliction said:
yeah or higher.. i always run 93, but two days ago i filled up with some cheap ass speedway 93 octane cause i needed to get a carwash too

What mods do you have to take advantage of the higher octane? :confused:
If you are stock it isn't going to make you any faster.
It will make you lighter though.......

in the pockets. :D

·
Registered
107 Posts
KSE said:
Higher octane DOES make you put out more power, regardless of mods.
so true.

I am some how able to run 94 octane in california. :eek:

and it is totally worth it. :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
selfinfliction said:
one of my new guys at work has a gtp, and he happened to be leaving when i was going on lunch so he asked when we were gonna race. we decided we'd go right then and do it for $20... just to make it worth some gas money. i'm not sure what all mods he had but i will find out on sunday. one of his freinds said he has a lot of money into it. me = bone stock (water injection kit isn't installed atm)

we got on the freeway @ 60 and ran up to around 110-115, on the third honk he jumped a little before i did and he only pulled away from me about 1/2 car very slowly during the entire run... since i was limited on my time we couldn't run again, but it was so close i think throwing in some high octane and not having 3/4 of a tank i should be able to possibly take him... but then again i don't know how much fuel or other things he might have had going on. i think he was pretty suprised i was on his ass like that cause he thought the cobalts weren't that fast.

when we get some time we'll be doing a 20, 40, 60 rolls to really see who can outrun who. and i'll get a list of his mods up... i'm thinking about getting my waterinjection back in and running high octane with about 1/4 tank of fuel and catching him off gaurd to go double or nothing in a day or so lol....we'll see
sorry maybe i didn't see it earlier but what exactly do you drive?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
AZ_SS said:
I'm stupid thought we were talking race gas.....why aren't ya running 93 anyway?

I know I would be...mo power!

i always run 93 octane, but it was from some el cheapo gas station cause if you fill up there you get a few bucks off of a car wash, but last night i burnt it all out put three 16 oz. cans of octane booster and 4 gallons of mobil 93 in it. you can tell a huge difference lol, just driving like 65 or so in fourth when you punch it you can feel the car jerk before it starts pulling lol, so it wants to go now. :D

·
Registered
261 Posts
When you run with octane boost, watch your boost gauge. You will realize when you run with higher octane gas that you will boost much closer to the 12.5psi the car is rated at. Without octane boost I run closer to 11-11.5psi. Octane boost has sold me because I see and feel the differance.

P.S. I eat Grand Prix GTP's for lunch!! :cool:

·
Registered
173 Posts
keep running that octane boost and you'll be eating a factory warranty for lunch... I don't believe "I burnt it up on some cheap speed" is covered on the factory warranty... Could be wrong and don't use the "they won't detect it" cover... They will

They used to not be able to detect a dry nitrous kit, try it now and see what happens, you'll be getting the "Dear Sir, We are sorry to inform you" letter from GM Inc... I have a friend who is going through that with Ford right now(2 as a matter of fact, one with a 04' Cobra whcih said "they can't tell if you changed the pulleys or spray dry nitrous", the other with Powerstroke diesel which has been propane fed)...

·
Registered
7 Posts
selfinfliction said:
i always run 93 octane, but it was from some el cheapo gas station cause if you fill up there you get a few bucks off of a car wash, but last night i burnt it all out put three 16 oz. cans of octane booster and 4 gallons of mobil 93 in it. you can tell a huge difference lol, just driving like 65 or so in fourth when you punch it you can feel the car jerk before it starts pulling lol, so it wants to go now. :D

I don't know about that octane booster. Unless the Cobalt is tuned for higher than 93 it will not increase performance at all. That is just like the SRT-4 kid that put race gas in and dyno'd only to pull stock numbers.
I have had experience with the cheap gas stations though and know what you are saying there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
AZ_SS said:
I don't know about that octane booster. Unless the Cobalt is tuned for higher than 93 it will not increase performance at all. That is just like the SRT-4 kid that put race gas in and dyno'd only to pull stock numbers.
I have had experience with the cheap gas stations though and know what you are saying there.

He is right! anything higher than 93 oct won't do anything to a stock car. but the cheep gas thing is also true. a bit of advice, never fill up at a gas station that has a big rig droping fuel at the station, you'll be paying for more water than gas. water is how they filter the gas in the tanks at stations and it mix's up when they re-fill. and don't buy the 93oct gas when its "on sale" for the prive of reg gas, its old and has lost some of its additives.
The only thing the hi oct gas does is resist detonation better, well and burn cleaner, but thats it :( sorry but its true.

No mods+100 oct gas = lighter walet

·
Registered
259 Posts
i use only 93..cut with some 112 race gas ;)
hurts the pocket but the car runs like a champ!!!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts