Cobalts SS banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a chance to race another stang GT. It was again, a '01-'03. I was on my way home from work late at night, when the stang past me on the freeway. i figured that I hung with one last time, so I'd try it again. So I catch up to him until we're dead even. We started at 70mph, when we both dropped gears ( I dropped to 3rd). We were dead even again halfway through third, but thyen I started pulling slowly, when i shifted to 4th, his fron bumper was at my rear. Halfway through 4th, I slowly pulled a full car lenghth on him. He got pissed after i slowed down, and sped past me, and his buddy flicked a cigarrette towards my car. I got pissed and caught up to him again. We went again, and same result: pulled a full car lenghth on him. He then pulled behind me (I'm pretty sure he was cheking out what i drove) and rode my ass for minute. Again, i think he was pissed to see the dealer tags still on the car :D

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
LOL Thats GREAT! I woulda whooped his ass if he flicked a cigarette at my SS... that I dont have yet...

Quick side story, my old boss (cool as hell) was driving down the interstate one day and had his windows cracked. He said a guy flew past him and flicked a cigarette out, not only did it go INTO his window, BUT it landed in the empty BABY seat! Just think if lil Carson was in there, she coulda got burned pretty bad! Pete was EXTREMELY angered at this due to the possibility of Carson bein in there so he flew up on the guy, PULLED HIM OVER, dont know how he got him too, and said he did everything short of whoopin his ass! He said the guy was like: "uh uh uh Im Im sorry man, I didnt mean to!" Idiot!!

Sorry for jackin your thread just figured I would give you a side note.
Congrats on whoopin @$$!!!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Thats the best own3ge ever.... still having dealer tags..so they know its stock... good kill.

·
Registered
91 Posts
That's funny??? I thought that the longer the race goes, the more advantage the bigger V8's would have? That must have been a slow Stang, with 260 hp and close to 300 tq, in which case, usually would have the advantage over our little four cylinder motors? That and from what I've heard, the weak points in a cobalt was it's 3rd gear and up is where the compitition would start to pull. At the same time you doing this in fourth gear and still being able to pull let alone beat a V8? Well, if this story is true, then nice kill. Also, hard to believe that a stang that can run low 14's stock, would lose to a car that has been seen running in the 15's. Especially in the high end. But anything is possible.

·
Registered
140 Posts
CD'srt said:
That's funny??? I thought that the longer the race goes, the more advantage the bigger V8's would have? That must have been a slow Stang, with 260 hp and close to 300 tq, in which case, usually would have the advantage over our little four cylinder motors? That and from what I've heard, the weak points in a cobalt was it's 3rd gear and up is where the compitition would start to pull. At the same time you doing this in fourth gear and still being able to pull let alone beat a V8? Well, if this story is true, then nice kill. Also, hard to believe that a stang that can run low 14's stock, would lose to a car that has been seen running in the 15's. Especially in the high end. But anything is possible.
The SN body mustangs are heavy. They're not like the old Fox bodies. So the weight offsets the 260hp. Stock mustangs up until 05 are pigs. The Cobalt SS pulls really strong to 120mph so a mustang could go down especially if it's an auto, and plus the stang has a passenger. The mustangs are a sorry excuse for a V8 stock. The Cobalt SS ets in the high14s low 15s because of traction and FWD, but look at the mph it's 95-98 stock. That's right there with the Mustang GT. With traction the CSS and IRL are mid low 14 sec cars easy. Possible high 13 with perfect driving AND track conditions. We're going to slap on some drag radials and see what happens.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Also, hard to believe that a stang that can run low 14's stock, would lose to a car that has been seen running in the 15's.
I like the way you worded that. :rolleyes:

Why couldn't an SS that can run in the mid to low 14's not beat a stang that has been seen running in the 15's? It's up to the driver on whether they can attain the best times possible.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Damn, no one is believing me in this or the .net forum. But yet, it's believable that i tied one on my last race? People, this was a freeway race, not a light to light race!! I don't know who says our cars are weak in 3rd gear, but the guy in that GT, I'm sure, doesn't think that's true :cool: GT's die in 4th gear. i know, I drove one for a while, and when passing on the freeway, it sucked. It was an '04 auto, though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Tight work on ur kill. Relax, there is ALWAYS haters.

·
Registered
291 Posts
my redline is a good race for my buddies 03 gt, he has intake and offroad x pipe and he beat me by .1 when we went. Maybe next time I will get him.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hey clownhair, was that stock when you ran him? The pulley and alky injection should put you in front a car or so. My buddy ran an '05 GT auto on the highway and stayed dead even to 110 mph. He said they couldn't run it any higher or do it over because of heavy traffic. I didn't witness it though. That was with the pulley and exhaust and not spraying it. The 05 GT aren't even that strong.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mustangs are slow.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Older fox bodies can be pretty tough with the right work done to them, N/A or boosted. I know a few guys running full street fox bodies w/ 5.0's and running high 11's/ low 12's all day long N/A. Others w/ serious mods have a hard time hitting 12's though also. It can be a crap shoot w/ those cars as sometimes the motors are strong and sometimes they are not. A guy here in socal built a turboed fox body w/ a completely stock motor and runs mid 11's on stock motor w/ like 90,000 miles on it. It was ghetto fabbed but it works. Pretty funny actually. He also owns an srt-4 that trapped 120mph but his best time was a 12.0 in it. It was on spray so it would pull up top but not so much down low.

Anyways Cobra's are nasty cars or atleast can be but your GT mustang IMO is nothing like an LS1. They just can't get it done N/A like an LS1 and even some that are boosted are still slow considering what is done to them. The new mustangs are decent looking but their performance is still little to be desired considering 4cylinders are keeping up w/ them stock for stock and or beating them. It atleast takes some decent mods to beat a stock LS1. That's the way it should be. A V8 "muscle car" should not need a few mods to keep up w/ a 4cylinder boosted or not.

·
Registered
227 Posts
4.6l GT's have potential...you just have to know how to build them right. Forge the motor and slap a 200 shot, get 31 splines, trac-lok, do a little weight reduction and say hello to high 10's. Heck I only spent $1200 bux and took my non-pi 98 GT from a 14.7 turd to a high 12, low 13 second daily driver.

But anyway, I believe the kill if the mustang was pretty stock! Good kill!

·
Registered
291 Posts
DarricksZ28 said:
Hey clownhair, was that stock when you ran him? The pulley and alky injection should put you in front a car or so. My buddy ran an '05 GT auto on the highway and stayed dead even to 110 mph. He said they couldn't run it any higher or do it over because of heavy traffic. I didn't witness it though. That was with the pulley and exhaust and not spraying it. The 05 GT aren't even that strong.
nope it was as I sit right now, I was .1 ahead of him at the 1/8th mile but my retarded ass missed 3rd for just a split second and I watched him pull ahead. I couldn't gain any ground once that happened. His car is a 5 speed btw and is a quick car.

·
Registered
291 Posts
tofu said:
4.6l GT's have potential...you just have to know how to build them right. Forge the motor and slap a 200 shot, get 31 splines, trac-lok, do a little weight reduction and say hello to high 10's. Heck I only spent $1200 bux and took my non-pi 98 GT from a 14.7 turd to a high 12, low 13 second daily driver.

But anyway, I believe the kill if the mustang was pretty stock! Good kill!
what mods were you able to get that 98 gt runnin 12's with only 1200 bucks. This is going to come off as sounding like a dick but theres no other way to word it. It is widely accepted that the 96-98 gt's are turds. Most 99-03 gt guys have to spend more than 1200 to get to the 12's and they have a better platform to start with.

·
Registered
227 Posts
clownhair said:
what mods were you able to get that 98 gt runnin 12's with only 1200 bucks. This is going to come off as sounding like a dick but theres no other way to word it. It is widely accepted that the 96-98 gt's are turds. Most 99-03 gt guys have to spend more than 1200 to get to the 12's and they have a better platform to start with.
Nah, you're definitely correct about them being turds in stock form..haha!
As I stated in another post in the other room, one of my friends does port and polish work. I bought a set of PI heads (99+ GT heads) for $300, and he ported them (5 angle valve job, removed swirl dams, etc.), The PI intake was $50 bux from a local mustang forum, I bought some used BBK Longtube headers and an Offroad H pipe for $300, I already had my SLP catback on the car. The SHM cams were on e-bay for $150 and were direct bolt-ons because the cam sprockets in 96-98 GT's are bolt-on, not press on. I did all the install with a buddy so install didn't cost a thing. Before tuning it dynoed @ 289rwhp. I bought the Xcalibrator for $200 from JMS and it comes preloaded with three custom tunes. after the tune it put down 310rwhp and 321rwtq. The car had 4.10's in it already. After taking out the passenger seat, backseat, spare and jack and the swaybar on BFG drag radials @ 17psi and lots of practice high 12's were very consistant. You also have to remember PI heads on a non-pi car bumps the compression a full point (non-pi mustangs pistons are almost flat tops, vs the dished ones in 99+ GT's), so they have hp the advantage over 99+ cars when PI swapped.

You should check out my friend Jason's GT on fordpower.net (he goes by Tebone626), he is the guy that helped me with my install and port work. He has a 02 GT w/ a non intercooled procharger, has a built auto w/ converter w/ forged internals (stock block, stock displacement, stock suspension) and he runs high 10's consistantly. He doesn't even make over 500rwhp either, it's around 400-450rwhp.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts